• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

DIY Crotch repair

s3lam

Reaction score
X-post from sufu

I couldn't find an existing thread to post this topic in so I created a new thread. Moderators, if there is a more appropriate thread for this topic to be in please move it, thanks.

I decided to do my own crotch repair using an old SINGER sewing machine that my grandmother has in her basement.

So my grandmother took the time to show me how to thread this machine and ultimately how to use it. It is not the easiest sewing machine to thread but after a few practice runs I think I have it nailed.

My 710's were in desperate need of a crotch repair and I decided to use my newly acquired skills to do my own crotch repair. Earlier I attempted to do the repair by hand but that failed horribly. Actually the failed attempt by hand helped secure the small piece of denim in place so that the small patch did not move while I was shifting my 710's around in the machine.

Here is the SINGER sewing machine (Kiya maybe you can shed some light on what year/model this sewing machine is from)

Below you can see the thread that feeds the sewing machine. My grandmother ran out of blue thread so I used black thread for the repair

Here I have just taken out the white thread and re-threaded the machine with the black thread.

A close up of the needle

This is the pedal that is used to operate the needle.

Here I am about to feed my 710's into the SINGER!

I had to be very careful not to sew the pocket bags together and to make sure the denim was always flat to ensure I did not sew together any folds in the denim!

Action shot

s3lam

Reaction score
And after about 20 mins........ TA-DA!! I know the job is far from professional but at least I can say it was done by me =)
Selfedge would have definitely done a better job but not bad eh? =)

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Messy work, but it got the job done. And holy cow that machine is awesome.

s3lam

Reaction score
lol....yes it is a very messy job. I was randomly sewing in every direction possible=) Next time I will definitely try to sew in a more systematic fashion.

lwkeung

Reaction score
Loved all the pictures haha. If they weren't there, I wouldnt read.
Noob question, but was this a crotch repair or just a reinforcement?

s3lam

Reaction score
Here is my second attempt at a crotch repair/reinforcement. This time it was done on my FH1001's. I think this repair is a bit cleaner and neater (still far from professional) than the repair I did on my Samurai's. The SINGER machine I use does not have the ability to sew backward/forward therefore I have to sew in random directions.

lwkeung

Reaction score
Very cool!
Are you using regular stitching and just sewing randomly to fix the denim patch to the jeans?
Or is it much more complex than that haha?

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 15 3.0%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 84 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 161 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 80 16.3%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 42 8.5%