• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ditching the duck boots, need new ideas

ChicagoJohn

Reaction score
I picked up the 10" LL BEAN shearling duck boots. While a beautiful boot, after just 2 weeks of wearing them to and from work they have become absolutely unwearable.

The problem is that Bean sewed nice shearling onto the upper leathers, but where the leather meets the rubber bottom, there is nothing! No padding or anything. So when you walk, this huge rubber seam rubs up and down the back of your heal. Thinking I just needed to break them in, I kept trying but eventually I created a massive knot in the back of my heel and it hurts like a sonofabitch.

So I'm returning these. At the $130 price point - what is a quality alternative winter boot? I need it to be water proof, warm (Chicago), and decent looking.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ouch, that doesn't sound pleasant at all! Sorry to hear they didn't work out for you. I got the 10" with thinsulate; thankfully I haven't had any issues with comfort.

It's tough finding something that's well made, waterproof, and stylish at the $130 price point. I'd be interested in other options as well.

Spats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about one of the iterations of Sorel? They're like Bean, but with removable insulating liners. That's what they use in Maine... http://www.rei.com/product/674940

anonomouse

Reaction score
Sorel is good stuff. take it from someone who lives 200 miles south of the arctic circle.

Smartalox

Reaction score
Sorels are made in Canada. Trust me, we know about winter boots up here.

http://www.sorel.com/

The original company was bought by Columbia Sportswear.

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoJohn
I picked up the 10" LL BEAN shearling duck boots. While a beautiful boot, after just 2 weeks of wearing them to and from work they have become absolutely unwearable.

The problem is that Bean sewed nice shearling onto the upper leathers, but where the leather meets the rubber bottom, there is nothing! No padding or anything. So when you walk, this huge rubber seam rubs up and down the back of your heal. Thinking I just needed to break them in, I kept trying but eventually I created a massive knot in the back of my heel and it hurts like a sonofabitch.

So I'm returning these. At the $130 price point - what is a quality alternative winter boot? I need it to be water proof, warm (Chicago), and decent looking.

I don't want to be presumptuous, but did you try wearing them with thicker socks?

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are you saying that duck boots are stylish?
confused.gif
For stylish there are any number of the C&J, Grenson, EG models, but for real winter insulation and protection from the elements I think you have to abandon style and go w/ utility. Look at the Filson Uplander. Also, Schnees has a duck boot-like version that might be better (plus it has the cool little fringy thing): http://www.schnees.com/product_categ...inch-hunter-ii

Muck Boots look interesting. Danner makes a good boot. Sorels are for hardcore cold. For a cool custom pair, look at the West Coast Shoe Co. http://www.westcoastshoe.com/wesco/

I'm pretty sure Ed has a pair of these: Attachment 17112

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smartalox
Sorels are made in Canada. Trust me, we know about winter boots up here.
Sorel boots are made in China now.

Baffin is another alternative (still made in Canada). I've also had good luck with Filson boots over this last winter.

TBSDSpaniard

Reaction score
for something a little more stylish....ummm warm and not too ugly try PAJAR or BLONDO both Canadian companies one of them from Quebec....where they know a little more about snow and slush
smile.gif

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for something a little more stylish....ummm warm and not too ugly try PAJAR or BLONDO both Canadian companies one of them from Quebec....where they know a little more about snow and slush
smile.gif

Picked up a pair of lightly used Pajar on eBay for $100 (all in). Normally sell for $400+. Will put them into my rotation with Nike ACG, Salvatore Feregammo, and Martinos (another Canadian brand to consider).

Otherwise, I deploy Swims and Swims Mobster, or my waterproof dress shoes.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads