• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ditching the cufflinks - anyone know a good tailor?

Tez Mulan

Reaction score
Hi, I need to convert a load of DC shirts to SC. My local tailor thought I had two heads when I asked him.., either that or he was appalled at the thought of someone wearing dress shirts without cufflinks.

I have mostly worn DC white dress shirts, which go well with MOP, Silver links.., although two months ago my girlfriend said that I should try diff colours, so I have a rake of pink, blues and stripes and have to say I'm liking them. Prob is I don't think silver goes with say pink or cream, so I bought some grey (hemtite?) links and they look OK but only with a grey suit. Anyway, scenario now is blue shirt, blue suit, red tie - err no links, grey, MOP or silver I don't think look right - esp the grey!

So easiest solution is to ditch, plus I do a fair bit of keyboard work and sometimes they get in the way - I would never switch to silk knots btw.

LOL!

p.s. re geography, I'm 18miles out of West London

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
n7250750892889182774bo4.jpg

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tez Mulan
Hi, I need to convert a load of DC shirts to SC. My local tailor thought I had two heads when I asked him.., either that or he was appalled at the thought of someone wearing dress shirts without cufflinks. I have mostly worn DC white dress shirts, which go well with MOP, Silver links.., although two months ago my girlfriend said that I should try diff colours, so I have a rake of pink, blues and stripes and have to say I'm liking them. Prob is I don't think silver goes with say pink or cream, so I bought some grey (hemtite?) links and they look OK but only with a grey suit. Anyway, scenario now is blue shirt, blue suit, red tie - err no links, grey, MOP or silver I don't think look right - esp the grey! So easiest solution is to ditch, plus I do a fair bit of keyboard work and sometimes they get in the way - I would never switch to silk knots btw. LOL! p.s. re geography, I'm 18miles out of West London
Have you tried using double button links (usually like a silk knot, with just two similar buttons on either side)? Most of my shirts are FC, and when I need to wear them as barrel cuffs, I just go ahead and use one of those links to turn my shirt into a barrel cuffed one. If you have buttons on, you don't need to put them on as you do cufflinks - you can have the cuff go around, like in a regular barrel cuffed shirt (of course, the purists here may disagree on this one). I'm sure your tailor would be able to get these made for you at little to no expense -- just make sure that all the buttons match up. Besides, this lets you use your shirts both ways. YMMV, of course.

Tez Mulan

Reaction score
so turn the cuff up the other way and put those button links in??? ta for the suggestion, but I think they may look like freebie cufflinks that come with the shirt

hope u dint mind me saying that

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tez Mulan
so turn the cuff up the other way and put those button links in??? ta for the suggestion, but I think they may look like freebie cufflinks that come with the shirt

hope u dint mind me saying that

Depends on the buttons, in my opinion.

Check out Kent Wang's (forum member) button cufflinks and decide for yourself. Maybe yes, maybe no for you, but they don't look like anything that came free with a shirt to me.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads