• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

District 9 looks like a cool movie

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From the trailers I saw on TV, I thought it was going to suck so much.

I could not have been more pleased with the movie, I walked out really excited and all my expectations were blown out of the water. I couldn't help but crack up every time some poor schmuck splattered.

And I heard this great comment walking out of the theater: "What a ****** movie...the aliens didn't even look real!"

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just saw it today, and I'd like to say this. I thought it was good, but not great. Maybe this thread gave me unrealistic expectations, and it's not like I didn't enjoy it, but I dunno. It was just sort of lacking in something.

Maybe a B+

That being said, probably one of the better sci-fi movies in the past few years.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i give it a solid B+. i thought it was highly original and i was really engaged in the characters, but the last 15-20 minutes was just plain silly. i really enjoyed the "documentary" aspects of it and was blown away by the first half.

it was one of the more exhausting movies i've been to and when it was over i felt like i'd been playing xbox for 9 hours.

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will be interested to see the 2nd weekend box office draw. Could this be one of those movies that builds momentum after the release date?

for example.... i took a cab to work this morning... and on the tv (cabs here have tv's in the back seat) the news caster was talking about District 9 as a summer blockbuster. A summer blockbuster would be a movie with over $100 million box office i would think.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JSC4President
I will be interested to see the 2nd weekend box office draw. Could this be one of those movies that builds momentum after the release date?

for example.... i took a cab to work this morning... and on the tv (cabs here have tv's in the back seat) the news caster was talking about District 9 as a summer blockbuster. A summer blockbuster would be a movie with over $100 million box office i would think.

Well, it was number 1 at the box office and made back it's budget in two days. Word of mouth is great and sales should continue to be good. It's probably not going to be number 1 again with inglourious basterds coming out, but besides that there isn't a lot of competition and I could see sales continuing to be high.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/17/movies/17box.html

bafield

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrome_dout
You had to actually see these movies to realize they were going to suck? I thought it was obvious by the cast and directors.

I guess I should have known.

bafield

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jokerman
Judging by this comment and your horrid excuse for a masculine avatar you sir are a complete moron.

Douche

ektaylor

Reaction score
Oh god, I don't know why I use this forum for anything other than buying clothing. This movie was atrocious.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What did people who generally think movies such as [Spiderman, X Men, Transformers, Matrix 2, Fast and Furious, Wanted, Terminator Salvation] suck ass, think of this movie? People's opinions always have to be taken in context. Thanks.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
What did people who generally think movies such as [Spiderman, X Men, Transformers, Matrix 2, Fast and Furious, Wanted, Terminator Salvation] suck ass, think of this movie? People's opinions always have to be taken in context. Thanks.

That's kind of a wide range in movies in terms of some of them being great and other ones highly sucking ass.

axe

Reaction score
I didn't like any of those movies you listed, but I quite enjoyed D9. It turns a bit dumb for the last 10 minutes, but doesn't have that special brand of Hollywood mouthbreathing like the others.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Those movies all sucked hard. This movie was very enjoyable.

Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
That's kind of a wide range in movies in terms of some of them being great and other ones highly sucking ass.

A terd is a terd. There is no wide range on that subject.

hws

Reaction score
"Moon" directed by Duncan Jones(son of David Bowie) is good, with Sam Rockwell, from "Choke."

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bhowie
Those movies all sucked hard. This movie was very enjoyable.

A terd is a terd. There is no wide range on that subject.

Spiderman I and II both were successful comercially and critcally
As was X-men 2, with X-men 1 probably being a little less well regarded.

All four generally considered successful in the comic book adaptation genre.

Compare that to something like Terminator salvation which did poorly critcally and has been widely criticized by fans.

Just because you didn't like any of the movies, doesn't make them all equally hated by everyone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads