• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Distressing shoes/boots

Sevcom

Reaction score
I agree that jeans and shiny leather shoes don't mix, but was wondering if one can self-distress the latter at home. Until I get the coin to drop on Varvatos boots, I might experiment with an old pair of brown ankle boots.

Suggestions?

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the shoes distressing concept? Do you mean antiquing with a patina?
Perhaps some pics of said varvatos would help.

.luc

esvoboda

Reaction score
Generally speaking, I'd rather have my non-sneaker jean footwear in a finish like suede, pebble-grain, or other less dressy finish rather than have my shoes distressed. Most people are walking around with unintentionally distressed footwear and look like crap. That said, here's something you can try. Use rubbing alcohol to strip off any existing wax finish. Don't allow the alcohol to soak in. You want to minimize the damage that comes from drying out the leather. Then I'd use a little leather conditioner like Lexol to keep the leather from cracking unless that's what you want. Now you should have a matte finish. Not enough distressing? Hmm. Maybe carefully scuff them with some sandpaper. Oh, maybe leave out the shoe trees too. That'll help you fit in with the general population.
biggrin.gif

sbbbjm

Reaction score
wear em hiking or building something, spill water on them, scuff em. i've heard of people scuffing them sandpaper and using a diluting some lighter colored than your boots shoe polish and then rubbing that into the scuff.

i've also left my boots out in the sun for a couple days on accident before and the leather got a little dried out and stiffer. some spots even crackled a little

anyway, said boots above have gotten me a lot of compliments. they were regular justin roper boots that i bought new for 90 bucks. after having em for about 6 months they are totally broken in and distressed complete with a few paint splatters. building, hiking, spilling crap on em -- really gives em some character. i had a guy ask me where i bought them cuz he wanted some beatup looking ones like mine and when i told em i got em at Boot City he was like, 'wow, i thought they were some really expensive designer brand' -- granted i was wearing a vintage skinny blazer, with a crisp white button up and some english cut APC's, i could see how he couldve thought that, i just chuckled a little and told him the story.

vvoc

Reaction score
sorry for digging this thread back up but i just purchased a pair of johnston murphy cap toes and im planning to wear them strictly with jeans...currently theyre relatively polised and i want to give them that distressed look.... this is what they currently look like:
6492_1.JPG
and i want to distress them so they look more like this:
PG_07757.5014_ZM1.jpg
any tips or procedures for achieving this distressing...? im basically gonna just strip the polish off with acetone...but then i dont know what else i can do.....ideas? thanks!!

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I guess I never thought of shoes as something I would want distressed.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vvoc
sorry for digging this thread back up but i just purchased a pair of johnston murphy cap toes and im planning to wear them strictly with jeans...currently theyre relatively polised and i want to give them that distressed look.... this is what they currently look like:

6492_1.JPG

and i want to distress them so they look more like this:

PG_07757.5014_ZM1.jpg

any tips or procedures for achieving this distressing...? im basically gonna just strip the polish off with acetone...but then i dont know what else i can do.....ideas? thanks!!

Sure.....have yourself committed to a mental hospital.
confused.gif

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylin-1
Sure.....have yourself committed to a mental hospital.
confused.gif

Those Barney's bluchers are pretty distressed, and use a much softer and lighter leather than the J&M so I'm not sure you're going to completely be able to achieve your goal... Some of the techinques people mentioned before will work, though.

vvoc

Reaction score
i dont understand everyone being against the distressing? if I am planning to wear the shoes with denim, they look awkward and dont flow with the outfit if it looks like im wearing my dad's shoes...distressing the shoes will add a bit of casual flair to them making it a bit less formal...thanks for all the opinions and tips though

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You're going to need some heavy chemicals, mostly acetone, and probably a sandblaster to get anywhere close.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think the distressing is cool, it's just going to be hard to achieve with those shoes. I think more matte, distressed shoes like NDCs are cool with denim, but also like some high gloss shoes as well.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Sure, why not. Just remember once you have the finish stripped down you will need to moisturize the leather so it doesn't just fall apart - use shoe cream and let it soak in (buff off the excess) before using any wax polish.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads