• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Distressed" jeans

carlhuber

Reaction score
or, "a stitchy situation"

With the recent popularity of people buying obviously pre-distressed jeans with evenly placed holes carefully worn in them by machines, is there a place in fashion for jeans with genuinely earned holes? Furthermore, with the selling of shirts with intentionally "off" stitching (one of my bosses has a salmon colored tshirt, the pocket of which has a "random" spasm of black stitching at the corner) is there a place for genuinely distressed clothing?

The only reason I ask: My absolute favorite pair of jeans had acquired a small hole at the knee. It wasn't enough for me to worry about because they were already quite worn and several years old. But over the weekend (and with the help of some drunken midnight grass volleyball) the earnestly earned hole has split into a solid four inch tear. I'm a little distressed. Hah!

musicboohoo[1].gif

Okay. There's no way to stitch it up without being obvious. Can I use this latest bothersome trend to my advantage, and just stitch up the hole with, say, bright red thread? There's something to be said for the admission of it; not trying to hide it, right? Furthermore, if I did this, would I still be able to wear these jeans for Casual Fridays at the office? We're a business casual graphic design and marketing firm, with an emphasis on the casual.

Reaction score
For the longevity of your jeans, repair the tear ASAP. Well-done repairs add character.

I don't know that I'd wear them to the office, but if you think you can get away with it...

carlhuber

Reaction score
Do you have any links or quick info about "properly" repairing tears? If at all possible I'd prefer to do it myself, on principal. (I earned the hole, I should fix it)

carlhuber

Reaction score
Wow, that's impressive! Thanks for the info. I doubt I could do that seamless (badump-ching!) of a job, but I can give it a shot. Maybe I'll just do it with the orange thread and see if anyone says anything.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads