• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

distinguising blake from blake/rapid

asdf

Reaction score
There are lots of threads about distinguishing blake from goodyear and their characteristics, but I cant find any on this topic. Ive got a pair of Polo made in italy longwings with visible stitching on the insole, which, AFAIK means they are either blake or blake/rapid. What else should I be looking for to ascertain the construction?

Also, do I understand correctly that blake/rapid shoes can be resoled (easily) while blake stitched shoes cannot (easily) be resoled?

ajv

Reaction score
follow the link and look at the image, it should help you understand blake vs rapid-blake.
Where rapid-blake is closer to a good-year welt.
The rapid-blake must take almost as long to do as the good-year. I can't understand why a shoemaker would spend the same amount of time to make something less solid than a good-year.

http://the-last-shall-be-first.blogs...lakerapid.html

asdf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ajv
follow the link and look at the image, it should help you understand blake vs rapid-blake.
Where rapid-blake is closer to a good-year welt.
The rapid-blake must take almost as long to do as the good-year. I can't understand why a shoemaker would spend the same amount of time to make something less solid than a good-year.

http://the-last-shall-be-first.blogs...lakerapid.html

Seen it. Since my shoes are still in one piece, however, it doesnt help a terrible amount. My shoes to appear to have what the diagram calls the "rapid stitching"...however I'm aware that this can be faked. Also, the stitches visible on the outsole seem to be much longer than the alleged rapid-stitches. How is that possible?

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe you should look at the diagram closer. It clearly discusses the differences between blake and blake/rapid... Do you have a "1st leather sole" and a "2nd leather sole," or is there only one level of leather? If there is only one, then your shoes are blake stitched.

asdf

Reaction score
Well, its a rubber sole, but yes, it is hefty and there seems to be two distinct layers. So that means blake rapid?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads