• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

distinguishing Blake/Rapid from Blake

brainchild

Reaction score
There are previous threads on the subject, but they do not address my core question. It is, given a shoe known to be one of these constructions, is there a way to prove which one it is? I am eying a few pairs of shoes, a Tom Ford, and a A. Testoni, and I wish to know whether they are Blake/Rapid or plain Blake. I am aware that Blake/Rapid lack the closely cut sole that is possible with Blake, but I have seen some shoes without the closely cut sole advertised as Blake. This causes me to conclude that the closeness of the sole is not a definitive test for which construction is employed. Is there any reliable method of distinguishing between the two?

emptym

Reaction score
Blake-constructed shoes usually have exposed stitches on the inside of the shoe. But sometimes these are covered by a full sock liner.

Blake-rapid shoes typically have exposed stitches on the outside of the shoe, where they would be if the shoe were welted, ie on top and on the bottom of the sole's edges, unless a channel was cut and closed, in which case they would be hidden on the bottom of the sole.

Blake shoes also tend to have soles made of a single layer of leather or rubber, while blake-rapid ones will have two layers (two of leather or one of leather and one of rubber, but not two of rubber, afaik). Sometimes though, the polishing and burnishing of the edges of the soles will obscure the evidence of two layers.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is blake what we translate as " vulcan ".

Vulcan is the same skill that when you get a flat tire and they " vulcan "" at high temperatures a piece of rub on the inside.
Is is that?

asdf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpallaCamiccia

Vulcan is the same skill that when you get a flat tire and they " vulcan "" at high temperatures a piece of rub on the inside.
Is is that?

No.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by asdf
No.

Ah ok, And How do you call that vulcaniced thing on English?

Thanks

asdf

Reaction score
Ah ok, And How do you call that vulcaniced thing on English?

Thanks

Do you mean vulcanized rubber?

Kazou

Reaction score

Is is that?

I think you may have a few thing confused here and most probably the name of Goodyear. Charles Goodyear discovered the process of vulcanization which is the turning of rubber into a polymer. The Goodyear welt/Stitch on the otherhand is a process of sewing by a machine invented by Charles Goodyear's son.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kazou
I think you may have a few thing confused here and most probably the name of Goodyear. Charles Goodyear discovered the process of vulcanization which is the turning of rubber into a polymer. The Goodyear welt/Stitch on the otherhand is a process of sewing by a machine invented by Charles Goodyear's son.

Might be , but I worked on a woman shoe factory as salesman and we called it vulcanization and cemented for lesser quality shoes.

Is that Goodyear then?

Thanks for the explanation

Kazou

Reaction score
as Emptym already noted the Rapid is distinguished from the Blake by having an additional layer involved: the midsole. The insole is stitched to the midsole, which in turn is affixed to the outsole via a row of exterior stitches. This solves the water problem, but makes Rapid Blake shoes unable to have soles as thin and flexible as those of the traditional Blake models. The Blake, comprises attaching the upper, insole and outsole with a single interior stitch. So techincally if you look area of the welt you can maybe see the exterior stitching to show that it is Rapid stitched.

read this from AAAC to get a better idea. http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/T...nstruction.htm

For Spalla Camiccia, I don't know about women's shoes...sorry.

zoorado

Reaction score
Might be , but I worked on a woman shoe factory as salesman and we called it vulcanization and cemented for lesser quality shoes.

Is that Goodyear then?

Thanks for the explanation

I think you are thinking of 'cemented construction'.

asdf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zoorado
I think you are thinking of 'cemented construction'.

I did some googling, because the only use of vulcanized i know has to do with vulcanized rubber itself.

Apparently the term is also used to denote the reaaaalllly shitty type of sole construction used in chucks, plimsols, and the like.

You learn something new every day.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by asdf
I did some googling, because the only use of vulcanized i know has to do with vulcanized rubber itself.

Apparently the term is also used to denote the reaaaalllly shitty type of sole construction used in chucks, plimsols, and the like.

You learn something new every day.

Is it a really shitty construction ? Well you know how " good " womens shoes are. And how women get rid or bored of them in a week and ask you for more money right?

By the way, Reebok has a factory near and the construction was the same in the 90s for those big nba shoes. I got my pair of sneakers just for the gym like 16 years.

Nice thread!

navysuede

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kazou

Charles Goodyear Jr personally did not invent the machine carrying his name. He simply bought the
rights to this invention and had it patented .

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.