• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Disposable Champagne Glasses

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know where you can get disposable champagne glasses that are much nicer than those cheap, 2-piece put-it-together ones you get at Party City, or whatever? I hate the idea of disposables, but how often am I going to use 30 champagne glasses? But I can't deal with the real cheap crap either. There must be some higher quality disposables available somewhere. Thanks for any info.

Edit: Also, can you get a decent champagne for $20.00/bottle? Is that realistic or is that way off? I want something decent, but I'm not going to spend a ton of money. Any recommendations appreciated.

chrysalid

Reaction score
You may be able to hire glass champagne flutes from a catering firm, I have known people to do it around my neck of the woods. Champagne for $20, about £12 (?) is pushing it a bit. You will need a minimum of 6 bottles for 30 glasses, and that really is the minimum of exactly 5 125ml glasses per bottle. I'd go for supermarket or wine warehouse special offers which just about go as low as £12 per bottle though it would not necessarily be particularly good stuff (not that I can really tell the difference any way) and I'd probably get at least 8 for 30 people.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk
Edit: Also, can you get a decent champagne for $20.00/bottle? Is that realistic or is that way off? I want something decent, but I'm not going to spend a ton of money. Any recommendations appreciated.

You can forget about champagne for $20. You can get decent sparkling wines from Australia, Spain and Cali for that price though. You can get a very nice Mumm Napa around $20-$25. They also make a great Rose sparkling wine but I forget the price.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Quirk -- at Costco or Trader Joe's you can get decent champagne for $25-$30 a bottle, including Moet White Star. Another favorite of mine in that range is Nicolas Feuillatte. Otherwise there are many decent sparkling wines in the $15-$25 range, including Mumm Cuvee Napa, or any of a variety of proseccos, sekts, or cavas, which are sparkling wines of Italian, German/Austrian, or Spanish origins.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reality check on Champagne pricing -- $30 sounds reasonable. I'll check out Costco this weekend.

Just for the sake of argument, though, is it necessarily better to use a true Champagne for a toast as opposed to a good sparkling white? Would $30 buy me a better quality sparkling white than a Champagne at the same price? Or is Champagne generally always going to be better than the sparkling white?

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
If you're by Ikea, you can probably get the required glasses there for less than good disposables. And if you don't want to keep them, you could donate them or give to a friend.
Thanks for the tip! I had no idea flutes could be had so cheap. I think I will just give them away or to Goodwill aftewards.

A friend also just recommended Crate and Barrel to me, which is a bit more convenient, travel wise. Any thoughts on these shapes? Are they all appropriate for champagne?

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/ima...d9516d69b8.jpg

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
decent champagne ... Moet White Star.
butbut.gif
crazy.gif
eek.gif
There's something anti-fit or ironic or streetwear-related adjective drinking expensive Champagne from the two-piece plastic jobs or a foam cup. At least that's what we tell ourselves at the office. --Andre

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
As a summer associate, I won a half case of good champagne at auction and, prior to leaving for a stint in Freedom, had a party where we drank it from cheap cups with junk food.

Priceless.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the Ferrer recommendation. C&B's flutes are quite a bit more expensive than Ikea, but still inexpensive enough that it's worth the extra cost to avoid the trip.

If anyone has any feedback on the 'Champagne vs. sparkling wine' issue, I'd appreciate it.

TrojanGarb

Reaction score
Im certainly no expert... but I know that Champagne is just a branded title for sparkling wines from the champagne part of france. The name is trademarked and can't be used for sparkling wine made outside champagne. In many ways you'd just be paying for the name. It would be much like napa vs french wine... maybe an expert can tell them apart but get 2 comparable wines and they'll both be the same quality-wise. The markup is for the name, and probably shipping.

If you have some reason you couldnt forgive yourself for fibbing and calling sparking wine champagne or toast to "sparkling wine" then by all means buy the the "brand" name stuff.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best champagne cannot be matched, but there are some decent sparklers to be had around ~$20, depending on where you buy your wines. From some merchants, in the $20-25 range, you can find some good NV champagnes, like Mumm Cordon Rouge, Feuillatte, Piper Heidsieck Brut, Drappier. A great sparkler made outside Champagne can be at least the equal if not better than those, but around the same price, too. This includes Prosecco, Cava, Cremant d'Alsace, sparkling from California or Australia, etc. Except for the bigger names (Gloria Ferrer, Domaine Chandon, Korbel [plonk], Martini & Rossi [also plonk]) availability of particular producers is not uniform across the merchants. So go and visit or ask yours. There are some gems for less than $20. You should experiment with a couple different bottles before placing the large order.

One last note: some people are a lot more impressed with "Champagne". Often times this concern supercedes the taste. Something to consider.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk
Thanks for the tip! I had no idea flutes could be had so cheap. I think I will just give them away or to Goodwill aftewards.

A friend also just recommended Crate and Barrel to me, which is a bit more convenient, travel wise. Any thoughts on these shapes? Are they all appropriate for champagne?

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/ima...d9516d69b8.jpg

All these are perfectly correct, although I'd prefer the ones at the top for serious tasting. The flutes are fine for toasting.

To get good cheap Champagne, you need to find a great wine store that will do one of the following: (a) offer occasional sales on name-brand non-Vintage blends from top houses, or (b) have a selection of smaller producers' efforts that avoid the marketing-related markup.

To get something more reliably good in the sub-$20 range, aim for the US. Roederer Estate is my very favorite in this category, but Domaine Mumm is also good and Gruet (from New Mexico!) is astonishingly good value. I'd avoid Chandon, as it tastes flabby go me--as does the basic Moet offered by its French parent.

There are also some good Italian Proseccos out there that might even be better than Champagne for summer sipping.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions of what to check out and steer clear of. It turns out my girlfriend has an acquaintance who's a wine importer, so he should be able to help us out, but I don't know what he'll be able to get his hands on right away, so any additional recommendations welcome.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics