• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Disney's UP

r...

Reaction score
Just got back from watching UP and I highly recommend it. 3D effects enhance the experience, highly like able characters, and great story.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I want to take my daughter but she doesn't want to go
frown.gif

My dad and brother are going tonight.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw the trailer, and it didn't look quite as promising as Ratatouille or Wall*E. It's weird that they're marketing it as a wacky madcap romp.

A reviewer described Ratatouille as "An adult movie that kids can watch too." That was the expectation I went in with, and I was a little disappointed. Occasionally a kids movie can cross into the realm of capital-A Art (see: Babe), but as respectably as Pixar films perform in that regard, for me at least, they never quite clear that hurdle.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
I saw the trailer, and it didn't look quite as promising as Ratatouille or Wall*E. It's weird that they're marketing it as a wacky madcap romp. A reviewer described Ratatouille as "An adult movie that kids can watch too." That was the expectation I went in with, and I was a little disappointed. Occasionally a kids movie can cross into the realm of capital-A Art (see: Babe), but as respectably as Pixar films perform in that regard, for me at least, they never quite clear that hurdle.
stop-whining.jpeg

JammieDodger

Reaction score
I saw the trailer, and it didn't look quite as promising as Ratatouille or Wall*E. It's weird that they're marketing it as a wacky madcap romp.

A reviewer described Ratatouille as "An adult movie that kids can watch too." That was the expectation I went in with, and I was a little disappointed. Occasionally a kids movie can cross into the realm of capital-A Art (see: Babe), but as respectably as Pixar films perform in that regard, for me at least, they never quite clear that hurdle.

Sometimes, I think, a kid's film should just be a kid's film. I'd rather a film was great for kids than trying too hard to bridge the divide. In fact, inspite being 21 I sometimes enjoy the 'kid' stuff in a kid's film.

I think UP looks great. Pixar has some serious creative geniuses in there. You just have to look at the dog in the trailers as an example; the dog isn't anthromorphised in an obvious way. It's still a dog, its expressions are dog, so the comedy and cute factor comes from it's dog-like ness - rather than any predictable human traits.

And the art-direction I think is awesome.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JammieDodger
Sometimes, I think, a kid's film should just be a kid's film. I'd rather a film was great for kids than trying too hard to bridge the divide. In fact, inspite being 21 I sometimes enjoy the 'kid' stuff in a kid's film.

I sometime enjoy the kids in the kids films.
Naughty.gif

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sometime enjoy the kids in the kids films.
Naughty.gif

up_russell_poster.jpg

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm glad that Pixar is back on track after garbage like Cars and Ratatouille. Am also psyched for Toyy Story 3.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.​

r...

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauro
I want to take my daughter but she doesn't want to go
frown.gif

My dad and brother are going tonight.

How old is she that she doesnt want to see this? I took my 3 yo and she had a blast, unfortunately the 3D glasses where huge and while I tried to hold them in place for her, she quit on it about 1/2 hr in.

Upon seeing it I figured if they put too much more in the commercial they risk giving it away. Its not art but its hard to call any of the more recent animated films art since they kinda go out of their way to remind you its animated. As for Rat, that movie is all kinds of awesome, my 3 yo reminds me of this at least once a week.
Originally Posted by JammieDodger

I think UP looks great. Pixar has some serious creative geniuses in there. You just have to look at the dog in the trailers as an example; the dog isn't anthromorphised in an obvious way. It's still a dog, its expressions are dog, so the comedy and cute factor comes from it's dog-like ness - rather than any predictable human traits.

And the art-direction I think is awesome.

No "adult" in-jokes to be found here, just a simple but compelling story. Honestly I'm just glad it wasn't another one of those "secret lives of shoes and other **** when humans aren't around" where they have to find the missing sock and face the perilous washing machine.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score

You just thought way too hard about a Disney movie.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by r...
Upon seeing it I figured if they put too much more in the commercial they risk giving it away. Its not art but its hard to call any of the more recent animated films art since they kinda go out of their way to remind you its animated. As for Rat, that movie is all kinds of awesome, my 3 yo reminds me of this at least once a week.

I liked Ratatouille very much, I just felt it was too plot-heavy, and took way too much effort to get the premise up and running. Why couldn't the rat and human talk to eachother like they do in other cartoons?

Forgive me for saying this, but sometimes a simple musical number can really leaven things, especially in a kids movie.

Also, Ratatouille felt too much like a manifesto at times, as did Wall*E. Are there any Pixar films that aren't allegories about Pixar?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads