• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Disney World...

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Plus, the Disney private island was pretty incredible too. Including a sports beach where you could take the kids snorkeling and they had sunk large treasure chest etc.
I remember the treasure chest being underwhelming.

Also had a grownups-only beach where, while the kids are digging for dinosaur bones or whatever, Mom & Dad can escape the hustle for a while. Had the most amazing couples massage at the spa on that beach that I've ever had.
We molded a megalodon tooth. It was pretty baller.

One of the restaurants on the ship is called Animator's Palatte. The gig is that when you are first seated, everything is white (like a blank sheet of paper)...the walls, the tables, the waiters' uniforms. Slowly, over the course of the dinner, the walls begin animating themselves into all the Disney characters...first as line drawings, then into fully illustrated images. When the waiters come out for desert service, they're in animated vests with Disney characters on them. Hokey, but awesome for the kids.
I don't remember the animated vests or the tables, but I do remember the walls at the Animator's Palette- that was pretty cool too.

M. Bardamu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everyone -- all their meal plans were on sale so BONUS! The basic one (where you get a snack and two "counter service" meals) was free, with upgrades to better dining a mere snip at $85 per person for the week or something like that. Got the "park hopper" pass too, so you can go to multiple places in a single day. We're staying at the Contemporary Resort(?), which I think is one of the older hotels but looks OK.

In terms of getting out of the park for some more civilized dining, a grillhouse would be fine, as would decent Mediterranean or South American. In other words, not fussy...

Politely

Reaction score
Unofficial Guide to Disney World - buy it and follow the time maps/suggestions. It will literally save you a couple hours of waiting on line, each and every day. As far as I know, there is no VIP pass (although they have it at Universal). Disney has the FASTPASS system, which is not the same thing, and requires some research to understand how to use effectively.

If you expect to go back in the future, consider buying a multiple-day pass, with the no-expiration option. Unless you know for sure, I'd pass on the park-hopper option - each park is exhausting and takes up a whole day, and combined with the logistics of exiting and finding entry to another park, not worth it. Optimal pricing of the tickets can be a major math exercise.

As an adult, unless you're a Mickey fan, prepare for a long day. Not surprisingly, the rides are geared for kids, and even the big-kid rides are "safe" and "sanitized", sort of speak (just like everything else at Disney, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but is not necessarily a good thing, either). That said, Soarin' at Epcot is pretty neat, and Finding Nemo the Musical at Animal Kingdom was surprisingly good (even though I fell asleep each time I went, I was always impressed by the singing - there are youtube videos if you care to check it out before committing). I also liked the 3D rides & shows, but they've clearly been outclassed by Universal (ie, Spiderman & Simpsons). I'm pretty sure a 6 year old will enjoy most of the rides, other than the roller coasters.

Bring water.

Don't beat your kid in the middle of the park when she says she'd rather be playing at the hotel pool.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really have much else to add, it's been a while since I was at Disney World. However I do know your daughter will absolutely love it. I'm sure that will make it all worthwhile for you and your family.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Politely
Unofficial Guide to Disney World

I think this is the book we read before taking the RubeBabesâ„¢. There were a couple neat tips, including one where you go down this sort of hidden hallway, through a door, down another hallway and all of a sudden you have a private audience with Cinderella. Definitely worth the purchase price.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
I think this is the book we read before taking the RubeBabesâ„¢. There were a couple neat tips, including one where you go down this sort of hidden hallway, through a door, down another hallway and all of a sudden you have a private audience with Cinderella. Definitely worth the purchase price.
Did you go back on your own closer to closing time?

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by M. Bardamu
In terms of getting out of the park for some more civilized dining, a grillhouse would be fine, as would decent Mediterranean or South American. In other words, not fussy...
If you are not fussy and want to stay close to Disney (International Drive), here are some recommendations: Grill - Charley's ($$$$), Texas de Brazil ($$$), Capital Grille ($$$$). Out of these, Charley's is my favorite. Mediterranean - Taverna Opa ($$) South American - Pio Pio restaurant ($) If you want to drive a bit into main Orlando, I would recommend: Grill - Linda's La Cantina ($$$) (on Colonial) Mediterranean - Bosphorous ($$) (in Winter Park) South American - Taquitos Jalisco ($) (the Hiawassee location) Enjoy!

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
No. I think Cinderella was a ******.

I wanted to do bad things to Jasmine though.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That seems to be a universal sentiment.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

UUUNNNFFFFFFF

Also, I just remembered that when I was there as a kid, the monorail conductors let us into the cockpit to ride around for a while. Super cool. I somehow doubt they allow this anymore...

Magic Kingdom is definitely the most kid friendly park though, especially for a 6 year old girl. Firework/laser show at Epcot was always awesome. Depending on the weather, a trip to one of the Disney water parks might not be a bad idea, though I'm sure the hotel pool is just fine.

M. Bardamu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mishon
If you are not fussy and want to stay close to Disney (International Drive), here are some recommendations:

Grill - Charley's ($$$$), Texas de Brazil ($$$), Capital Grille ($$$$). Out of these, Charley's is my favorite.
Mediterranean - Taverna Opa ($$)
South American - Pio Pio restaurant ($)

If you want to drive a bit into main Orlando, I would recommend:

Grill - Linda's La Cantina ($$$) (on Colonial)
Mediterranean - Bosphorous ($$) (in Winter Park)
South American - Taquitos Jalisco ($) (the Hiawassee location)

Enjoy!

Awesome - thanks!

I think I may take a day to go to Epcot just by muhself...

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by M. Bardamu
Awesome - thanks!

I think I may take a day to go to Epcot just by muhself...

Assuming that you have the energy to enjoy it, you'd be doing yourself a disservice to pick any other choice (except for maybe dragging a bro along).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads