• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dislocated Shoulder Boxing

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I dislocated my shoulder pretty badly when I was a freshman in college and now, 5 years later I am boxing to stay in shape. A few days ago I was throwing jabs and overextended and had the feeling of dislocation. I wasn't in severe pain, just bad discomfort for about 20 seconds until the shoulder "popped" back by me just twisting my arm. Thought I was fine so I go back at it pretty hardcore. Doing mitts with my partner, I overextended again since he pulled back too much and popped it out. Again, same thing happened and it popped back in after 10 seconds.

Ive done some research but Im not too sure if this qualifies as a 2nd shoulder dislocation. Given my newfound love for boxing, I would hate to stop here. Does anyone have any advice?

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
Hey guys, I dislocated my shoulder pretty badly when I was a freshman in college and now, 5 years later I am boxing to stay in shape. A few days ago I was throwing jabs and overextended and had the feeling of dislocation. I wasn't in severe pain, just bad discomfort for about 20 seconds until the shoulder "popped" back by me just twisting my arm. Thought I was fine so I go back at it pretty hardcore. Doing mitts with my partner, I overextended again since he pulled back too much and popped it out. Again, same thing happened and it popped back in after 10 seconds. Ive done some research but Im not too sure if this qualifies as a 2nd shoulder dislocation. Given my newfound love for boxing, I would hate to stop here. Does anyone have any advice?
Years ago I dislocated my shoulder in a high dive accident. To this day some 30 years later there are times it feels like it wants to go out. The first thing you do is go see the doc and make sure you didn't tear something up. I was lucky and there was no damage that required surgery. what has really helped me is a lot of shoulder work with weights and flexibility exercises. Good luck, hopefully you didn't jack it up too bad.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Thanks for your expierence. Honestly I felt fine both times after. The same night I was ok, just a bit sore so I iced it.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
years ago I dislocated my shoulder in an amateur (beginner actually) kickboxing match and the trainer just popped it back. the pain went away after a day and I thought nothing of it until a week or so later I played badminton (yeah badminton) and I lifted my arm and my shoulder just gave in. the pain was, to say the least, excruciating and I ended up in the emergency room for pain killers and doctors had to put weights around my hand and slowly put my shoulder back in its socket.

point of my story? better have it checked if you dislocated it before, and ask your doctor for a green light.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd love to watch some dislocated shoulder boxing. Could be a really unique and refreshing spin on the sport.

Could segway into other improvements to other sports. Broken foot soccer, concussion football, blown bicep baseball.

jenlain

Reaction score
Did this to my shoulder playing football in high school. Was lucky to have a trainer available immediately. It popped back in, but the original injury stretched the joint. Had several more dislocations and eventually went the surgery route to repair.

One thing that the doc told me was to always have the shoulder checked out shortly after any disclocation. He said that a major blood vessel that runs close to the joint can get pinched when popping the shoulder back in. Can cause major tissue damage by the time you realize something is wrong.

alexanduh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
Years ago I dislocated my shoulder in a high dive accident. To this day some 30 years later there are times it feels like it wants to go out. The first thing you do is go see the doc and make sure you didn't tear something up. I was lucky and there was no damage that required surgery. what has really helped me is a lot of shoulder work with weights and flexibility exercises.

Good luck, hopefully you didn't jack it up too bad.

read as high five
laugh.gif

captmomo

Reaction score
I've dislocated my shoulder thrice.
The first two times was when I was deployed it the field, both times it snapped back into place and I didn't see a need to seek medical advice.
However for the third time, it didn't so I went to the hospital. After the doctor's consultation and doing some x-rays, it was revealed that my labrum was torn, hence leading to the unstability and ease of dislocation. The doctor also noted that I had lax joints which led to the ease of dislocation and actually toned down the pain I should have experienced from the dislocations.

TLDR:
Get yourself checked out by a doctor.

pronov

Reaction score
I had a shoulder subluxation about 3 years ago doing pullups at the gym, I was on my last couple reps and selling out to get up and my left shoulder popped out. It made a pretty loud pop to where the guy on the machine next to me came over to ask if i was alright as I hung on the pullup bar in pain. It was swollen and painful for the next month, it never felt like it was set in the socket correctly and I was able to pull on my wrist and pop it several times a day (it was painful to do so but relieved the pressure on the joint) before I finally went to the Dr. Got an xray to check for structural damage and they said it was ok. Ever since then though my range of motion has never been the same and there are certain things that I just can't do comfortably anymore with my left shoulder as with my right shoulder, such as sleeping with my hands behind my head...it just feels like an awkward angle for my shoulder and that it's getting ready to pop out at any moment if any pressure was applied downward on my elbow. It still occasionally pops out and pops back in (the freestyle swimming motion never fails to make it pop out). From talking to my friends and cousins that have had their shoulders either partially or fully subluxate before, it never really is the same, even with surgery, but it can get better. Information: http://www.ubsportsmed.buffalo.edu/e...bluxation.html Rehab/Prehab: http://www.ubsportsmed.buffalo.edu/e...n/sublux2.html

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Thanks for the information.

I think my sublux wasn't as serious as yours. My tournament is next Sunday and Ive pushed through this far, will push through some more.

Pundit

Reaction score
My shoulder starting popping out in HS playing football, I did some focused exercises to beef up the muscles around the joint and lived with the situation for the next 10 years. One morning I reached over to turn off the alarm and the thing popped out again. I went to the doc and had surgery (w/no hardware involved) to fit it. I am less active now but it has not gone out since though sometimes it feels loose.

Best of luck, there is no pain quite like a shoulder going out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads