• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Disliking narrow lapels

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm beginning to dislike narrow lapels. I own a few jackets/suits with narrow lapels and for the past few months, I have been wanting to wear them less and less. With the market saturation of narrow lapels, I think it's heyday is over, at least for another 20 years.

Who's with me?

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like narrow lapels, but then again, I'm pretty narrow (in mind and body
). I don't, however, like the ultra-narrow lapels that some fashion houses have been doing the last three or four years (just saw Wall Street 2, that's what I'm talking about). But the suits I have from Ralph Lauren have a good width for me. The widest I'd tend to go is what Zegna does on their main line suits. The lapels Armani sometimes uses, or those found on Tom Ford or the ones RL has been experimenting with on some of their Black suits are too wide for my taste.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
I'm beginning to dislike narrow lapels. I own a few jackets/suits with narrow lapels and for the past few months, I have been wanting to wear them less and less. With the market saturation of narrow lapels, I think it's heyday is over, at least for another 20 years. Who's with me?
I am.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like them either. I prefer standard to wide lapels before narrow. I like the Tom Ford Lapels and the wide lapels on one of my Polo suits. But no skinny lapels.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If my gucci sport coat has very wide, curved, peaked lapels, is it made/designed by Tom Ford?

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony Romo
If my gucci sport coat has very wide, curved, peaked lapels, is it made/designed by Tom Ford?

When was it made?

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony Romo

Wouldn't surprise me if it was his design, considering the lapels he tends to use on his suits. It wouldn't be "made" by him, he didn't have his own line until he left Gucci to found it and he doesn't actually have his own factory for suits, they're made by Zegna.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have always thought they sucked. They look unobjectionable on fit, tall dudes like Barney Stinson, but not a fan of the skinny lapels, even then.

sharks9022

Reaction score
Lucky for us wide lapels are beginning to make a comeback. I am happy.

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
damn it
i just bought my first and only narrow lapel slim fitting suit
i guess i need to wear it while i can before the style nazi's stop me

BillyMaysHere!

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sharks9022
Lucky for us wide lapels are beginning to make a comeback. I am happy.

AWW YEAH! I don't own any suits, but I have a few blazers/SCs, and my favourite is a TF Gucci number with wide lapels and a good drop in the waist. Big-timer.

Also looking forward to the demise of TB shrunken shoulders. Narrow shoulders are a tricky thing with me, and 1 or 2 brands are almost, if not completely unwearable because of the shoulders. I'm not ultra-athletic (a slim 36 with a 10" drop), I just have somewhat broad shoulders.

Reckoner

Reaction score
I've always preferred 2-3" lapels.
All my suits are 3 inchers.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 17 3.2%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 93 17.7%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 165 31.4%