• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dislike of Double-Breasted Suits

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
No, not at all fantastic

The coat is pulling at the button and the break of the trousers is wrong. There is more but that will do to put it im its place.

It is pulling, but I believe that is just an artifact of the photographic moment and not intrinsic to the fit. It's probably just caught up on something, like a belt buckle...speaking of which...

As for the break, Mattypoo doesn't wear suspenders, meaning break can be somewhat variable, particularly with trousers with stovepipe legs.

I haven't, but plenty of people who hang around here have seen the suit in person. Perhaps they can elaborate on what they see in the flesh.

It looks very nice to me even though it's not my stylistic preference.

- B

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
It is pulling, but I believe that is just an artifact of the photographic moment and not intrinsic to the fit. It's probably just caught up on something, like a belt buckle...speaking of which...

As for the break, Mattypoo doesn't wear suspenders, meaning break can be somewhat variable, particularly with trousers with stovepipe legs.

I haven't, but plenty of people who hang around here have seen the suit in person. Perhaps they can elaborate on what they see in the flesh.

It looks very nice to me even though it's not my stylistic preference.

- B

Maybe it's about time you see it in person?
nod[1].gif

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jimmyoneill
I like double breasted suits too. I Think they give a very manly figure.

Agreed. I think they have an age-old classic look that can't be beaten.

Marbles29

Reaction score
The double-breasted look is great. The dearth of double-breasted suits these days makes its wearer appear more discerning, especially a youth like I. I have been craving one for months.

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This guy again. He sure gets around, eh?

6218TanSuitweb.jpg

I like the DB on him. But I think the shades and 70's hairstyle and beard are what I enjoy most about the whole look. I could imagine him strutting down the streets of New York. Or taking on a rival drug cartel. He looks confident and not stuffy.

As someone who is both tall and skinny I should be able to wear a double breasted suit, but I just prefer the look of a simple single breasted, two button suit.

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
I think ANYONE can look good in a DB suit, as long as it's the proper fit for the person. This message brought to you by common sense.
Well, I have no idea how good I look in my DBs by the proportional and fit standards of the experts (although a tailor recently suggested slightly higher lapels and button stances should I ever go bespoke), but aesthetically speaking, I do garner compliments and I feel the most comfortable in them
Originally Posted by instep
And one more random DB photo:
ralphlaurenfall20066x1d.jpg

This cut looks almost as uncomfortable as it does on Sebastian, assuming both jackets are RLPL (though in this case, I'm sure those small bulges are just caused by motion). OTOH, this does lend some credence to Foof's fuller sleeve advocacy

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by manofstyle
^ Trouser openings too narrow, throws off the balance.

facepalm facepalm facepalm

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And one more random DB photo:
I think the fuss here boils down to just one thing - because some posters here lack (insert whatever) to pull off a DB, they thus think that DBs must look bad. You know, fox and sour grapes and all that...

Maybe, maybe it takes dash, elan, confidence and...cash. There aren't a lot of rtw options so it is one of the few button stances that may suggest custom. The SB peak lapel was also one of these until it got appropriated. I think if the DB were "jerky" it wouldn't so favored by big shots, many of whom are boot strapped and live in fear of what people think of them; they cant afford to look ridiculous. The photo above is about as rotten a DB as Ive ever seen. Fit aside, it looks like a tweed norfolk jacket and an 80s DB collided.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by magogian12345
Perhaps it is just me, but I really can't stand double-breasted suits. I think they look ridiculous on 9 out of 10 people who wear them. A few older, stately gentlemen can pull them off, but otherwise, bleh. I find that they look particularly bad on younger individuals.

Am I alone in this?

-1 Single breasted suits look ridiculous on 9 out of 10 people too. Do you hate SBs?
smile.gif

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about SF's own Sterling Gillette?

P1010714.jpg

This is the kind of Double Breasted suit I'd actually wear. It looks stylish and very casual.

seinfeld9314.jpg

Had to quote this. She was such a babe back then.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dr Huh?
How about SF's own Sterling Gillette?

P1010714.jpg

He wears it well. When it was first mentioned that db's aren't for the young, I thought of how great the db looks on SG.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I would not trust the man who designed this monstrosity.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
I dont understand the hate. I love it!

It needs Foofing. The chest is too lean, the collar is too low and loose, the sleeves need re-shaping, and it's too tight around the waist.

Can I assume this was from a Black Label show?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads