Dislike of Double-Breasted Suits

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by magogian12345, May 3, 2009.

1. why

why Senior member

I love double-breasted suits. It's just tricky to get the proportions right, but I don't see why they're necessarily more appropriate for tall, skinny people.

Ever see Arnold in Raw Deal? He looks like a penguin.

2. emmanuel

emmanuel Senior member

I like them and I wear them well.

3. meauounji

meauounji Senior member

Like I said, they can be tricky to fit right. But fundamentally, I don't see why they are necessarily widening. Even though a DB jacket creates a smaller, shorter 'V' opening for your shirt and tie, the stacked, parallel button configuration can make a torso look more column-like by emphasizing vertical length. Also, because the button configuration typically has the buttons in the top row set further apart than in the rows beneath it, a DB jacket can also make your chest-to-waist ratio appear higher and more flattering.

Too true. But then again, you are getting double the amount of suit up front where there's a lot of build up (shell fabric, canvassing, lining). If you already have a belly and don't have that natural "hourglass" to your physique, it can make your front look even bigger.

I agree with you that one doesn't have to be "tall and skinny". I'm saying that's the perception since DB doesn't work on "short and fat".

4. Macallan9

Macallan9 Senior member

My favorite DB look:

[​IMG]

I think as long as you're slim and the jacket is well fitted it can be done by many people.

5. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Perhaps it is just me, but I really can't stand double-breasted suits. I think they look ridiculous on 9 out of 10 people who wear them. A few older, stately gentlemen can pull them off, but otherwise, bleh. I find that they look particularly bad on younger individuals.

Am I alone in this?

6. CharlesAlexander

CharlesAlexander Senior member

Add me to the love double breasted column. Like anything in fashion, you have to know how to pull it off right.

7. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

My favorite DB look:

[​IMG]

I think as long as you're slim and the jacket is well fitted it can be done by many people.

I actualy like double-breasted jackets a bit looser and more relaxed looking. Without a touch of slouch, they look far too stiff and stuffy. Remember the Duke.

You guys are acting like pulling off a double-breasted suit is akin to voodoo when it's more about understanding how it should fit and getting it done. Yachtie and I could not have more different bodies or be more different from the skinny-tall model many of you have in mind, but I think the double-breasted format works for us very well because we had good tailors at our disposal.

8. thereverend

thereverend Senior member

My favorite DB look:

[​IMG]

You don't think that dude looks just a little bit like a little boy? That suit seems to emphasize his diminutive statue and make him look tiny.

On the other hand, I think Gene Hackman, not the most slender of people, looks great in The Royal Tenenbaums wearing his ever-present double breasted suits.

9. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

My favorite DB look: [​IMG] I think as long as you're slim and the jacket is well fitted it can be done by many people.
    This actually looks OK, the slim long guys can do it well. I voted no across the board because it seems that teh fatties seem to think the DB is a girdle. There's a ton of pics on here of fatties in DBs that just look bad. And if this guy seems shorter it's because his legs are cut out of the photo. Hopefully his pants have a full break.

10. Trapp

Trapp Senior member

I think db's look fantastic when the fit well. It helps to be slim, but I don't think height plays much of a factor.

11. emmanuel

emmanuel Senior member

My favorite DB look:

[​IMG]

I love that outfit, hate which buttons he chose to fasten! It kills me because you can tell he did it on purpose! [​IMG]

12. AJL

AJL Senior member

You don't think that dude looks just a little bit like a little boy? That suit seems to emphasize his diminutive statue and make him look tiny.

I think the effect is heightened by his big hair and oversized shades.

13. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

It's the sleeves that make him look tiny. I don't get an impression the DB itself does him any harm.

14. styledud

styledud Member

DB need a slim figure for proper display.

15. Aperipan

Aperipan Senior member

I love double-breasted suits. It's just tricky to get the proportions right, but I don't see why they're necessarily more appropriate for tall, skinny people.

Actually, the DB is tricky with body proportion, more accommodating to weight than height . I find fat guys pull it off quite well regardless of height. Also, DB has a certain quaint look to it and gray headed guys just look more appropriate with the DB suit. I like most your SB suits but the DB suit appears very customy on you for some reason; it makes you look even smaller than you appear to be.