Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Disgusting treatment at Louis Vuitton

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by PHV, Dec 28, 2004.

1. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I personally don't have an issue with PHV's actions, although personally I would have probably went elsewhere if I were in that situation, it seems in some cases salespeople forget where their paychecks are coming from, which is unfortunate. It's not necessary to be obsequious but a certain level of respect will probably enhance their ability to sell products and thus, their commissions.

2. PHV

PHV Senior member

In my opinion LV salespeople have some of the easiest jobs in the world. It is a highly sought after product, and there's a surprising amount of people in the world who can buy it. I've hardly ever seen gawkers in those boutiques, so it's all people who are there to buy. I guess they singled me and my friend out as undesireables for some reason? I was always interested in how high end retailers evaluate customers as they walk in the door.

3. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

[​IMG] About flame wars orb and PHV- What he (Jon) said. Now if I could just find a new box before sundown.

4. Duveen

Duveen Senior member

To be honest, PHV, I think that they don't evaluate customers all that much these days, at least not by dress.  I have seen people walk into the Neiman Marcus in both Tyson's Corner and in DC in sweatpants.  My personal take had always been that anyone THAT casual is likely just browsing - even if they have the wherewithal to buy, they likely just popped in to have a look around on this occasion and may plan to come back later.

Well, one day I was standing behind a sweats-clad gent (and these weren't designer sweats, either).  I had my piddling purchases - I think a Turnbull tie and a Fray shirt that were on sale.  This fellow was holding a pair of shorts and a couple of other things, so I figured we were both small-time sales shoppers.  Peas in a pod.  Then a salesman comes up with a rolling rack containing three or four suits, several shirts and an overcoat.  The guy dropped more than $5,000 right in front of me, cool as could be.

Now he may be a regular, but I am sure that if I worked in retail I would have fifty such stories to tell.  And I would be sure to be polite to even the guy in sweats.  And this guy was also no gym-chiseled Adonis, so there was no 'rich guy in disguise' giveaway that would have clued me in.

One thing that they can judge on a bit more safely is age.  Even when younger folks have the money, it usually comes with company from the credit-bearer.  Your experience echoes that of ImageWIS at Louis Boston and other young posters.

Basically, young folks are seen as not serious. As having time to kill.  And, unfortunately for you, young guys come up to bat a lot less seldom than older guys in sweats.   If you are a young guy who dresses casually and the attendant is not up on the no doubt resplendent streetwear you are sporting, they will REALLY think you're just curious.

Lastly, I would wager that the service was not poor because the staff actively disrespected you and wanted you out.  More likely is that they were lazy. They did a cost-benefit analysis and decide that you will be given only a little bit of attention.  They don't do it because they think that you are unworthy of the goods, they do it because they are clockwatchers and don't care that much about the job or the comissions.

One last note: I had a wonderful conversation with an LV person at the Saks in Cleveland one night when I was there on business.  She helped me pick out the wallet that I would request as a Christmas gift.  I took her name and card and offered to have my GF buy through her and have it shipped, as she took more than 20 minutes with me showing different models.  

She told me that it didn't matter, as she was paid a salary and not a comission. Not sure if it is the same in Canada, but that is certainly food for thought.

5. Alias

Alias Senior member

Your friend threw $20 at that guy? The only way I would throw money at a jerk would be if it were wrapped around a rock, and on fire.

6. Nonk

Nonk Senior member

So did the teddy bear pull through or not?

7. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

I have to echo what others have said: my first instinct would have been to complain to management - on the spot-.

I would never buy a LV anything, unless it were unrecognizable as a LV. Any outward evidence of the brand/designer on a garment (such as what Chanel does on shoes for the US market) is an immediate turn off.

8. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

Chavs. Brilliant. We have our own chavs here in Canada but I never had a proper name to call them until now. Thanks for that link.

9. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

(ViroBono @ 28 Dec. 2004, 2:33) Though the quality of LV's products is beyond reproach, I don't like their designs. Â Even if I were a fan, the brand has become so much associated with 'chavs'* here that it has become somewhat undesirable in some circles. Â It is also widely copied. *See Chavs
    Chavs. Brilliant. We have our own chavs here in Canada but I never had a proper name to call them until now. Thanks for that link.
    Isn't it what Americans commonly refer to as "White trash" (with money)?

10. november

november Well-Known Member

well, i live in montreal and I have been to the LV boutique
    only once. I personally have no interest in that brand
    as frankly I can't afford it for the time being.

You have to understand that Montreal is a city of extremes.
    There is not that much money really in my fair city which I
    truely love.

I have lived in Western Canada and shopping there is very
    different from shopping in Montreal. I can go to any shops
    selling high-end stuff and not feel self-conscious as there
    is a large well-to-do population in these Western cities
    and as a young black guy, I don't particularly raise eyebrows.
    Yet, in Montreal, I have come across some bad service
    but my golden rule is not to acknowledge it and keep moving.
    These items can be bought anywhere. Let's say you really
    wanted to buy LV items, you could have bought them it in Toronto.
    I am sure the store there is bigger anyway as there are more
    customers in that market for such high-end products.
    Why give hard-earned money from you or your parents to a
    store that doesn't even treat you properly.
    That is why I will never shop in a few stores in Montreal like Giorgio for instance. Besides, my bank account is feeling much better.
    I recently needed to buy a dark blue suit and I looked around
    the finer shops of my city (beautiful in the summertime.),
    Holt Renfrew service was definitely lacking so I kept it moving to Harry Rosen where a sales asssociate spent an hour with me, where I tried on 6 suits and I ended up buying not the most expensive one...lol. On top of it, I got a discount.
    Just to say that there are some good salespeople out there.
    And isn't LV kinda tacky for someone your age?

11. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

Judging by the chavs web site it seems that they aren't in fact white trash with money...merely...okay, I won't say it.

LV is tacky for someone of any age.

12. marc37

marc37 Senior member

Poor old [or should l say young] PHV, he's being bashed to pieces here. l am on PHV's side. lf a salesmen is a jerk, give them heaps. Be an arrogant nightmare to them.

L.Vuitton ignores me too. That's o.k, l don't buy their products unless l am treated nice. That's o.k, l'll go to Brioni or Borrelli and get better stuff.

One thing l hate, why do clothing salesmen and managers change jobs so frequently. l like to establish a relationship with the salesmen. l went to Borrelli the other day to help out the manager with a couple of things that he asked me to do; he was no longer there. Why?

13. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I don't think the taiga leather stuff is tacky for anyone of any age but that's just my opinion, it's just well made black leather goods.

14. PHV

PHV Senior member

15. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

You aren't seriously suggesting that popularity rules out tackiness do you? It's not its ubiquity that troubles me, but the pathetic status seeking that it implies -- like those teenage girls with their LV handbags.

Although he's gotten slammed here recently, J.D. Erikson had a good line about this:

It's no different than with people and their Gucci sunglasses, Baby Phat clothes or the bejeweled Rolex. It's meant to showcase their taste but merely advertises their cluelessness. They have the money to spend, but not the knowledge to own.

I don't hate people with LV stuff...heck, my sister has an LV purse and if it sounds like I'm attacking you, it's not. I've just declared a personal war against the bling-bling society and LV is a footsoldier on the other side.