Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Disguising a hole in a suit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rhd-style, Jul 4, 2013.

1. rhd-style

rhd-style Member

I've just noticed a hole (potentially a moth hole) in the upper segment of a notched lapel jacket that is one on my favorites. The hole is 1 to 2 mm in diameter, and just straddles that threshold between being noticeable, and not.

I'm curious to know whether anyone has any ideas for disguising a blemish in that location, if my tailor isn't able to fix it outright.

Is there any jacket feature that could plausibly be added to the upper lapel to cover up a flaw? The blemish is perfectly centered.

2. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Welcome to Styleforum rhd-style.
    If possible, upload a photo of said hole. You are a new member so may or may bot be able to post photos yet but you can try. A decorative pin, while tacky, would hide the hole. Perhaps there are re-weavers in your area you may want to look into. They can work magic. Hope this helps.

3. rhd-style

rhd-style Member

Just a quick follow up, I'm headed to the only re weaver I town. If they can't fix it (and I suspect they can't, it's very light solid black 120s wool), then I'm going to have the excess fabric under the cuff made into a whole new collar.

It's technically the lower collar, not the upper lapel.

4. David Reeves

David Reeves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

That's a novel solution. Do you think there's enough cloth?

Maybe you could shorten the collar and neck circle slightly? If it was a tweed or a coat I would say put a velvet collar on it.

Can you show us a photograph?