Disguising a hole in a suit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rhd-style, Jul 4, 2013.

1. rhd-style

rhd-style Member

I've just noticed a hole (potentially a moth hole) in the upper segment of a notched lapel jacket that is one on my favorites. The hole is 1 to 2 mm in diameter, and just straddles that threshold between being noticeable, and not.

I'm curious to know whether anyone has any ideas for disguising a blemish in that location, if my tailor isn't able to fix it outright.

Is there any jacket feature that could plausibly be added to the upper lapel to cover up a flaw? The blemish is perfectly centered.

2. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Welcome to Styleforum rhd-style.
    If possible, upload a photo of said hole. You are a new member so may or may bot be able to post photos yet but you can try. A decorative pin, while tacky, would hide the hole. Perhaps there are re-weavers in your area you may want to look into. They can work magic. Hope this helps.

3. rhd-style

rhd-style Member

Just a quick follow up, I'm headed to the only re weaver I town. If they can't fix it (and I suspect they can't, it's very light solid black 120s wool), then I'm going to have the excess fabric under the cuff made into a whole new collar.

It's technically the lower collar, not the upper lapel.

4. David Reeves

David Reeves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

That's a novel solution. Do you think there's enough cloth?

Maybe you could shorten the collar and neck circle slightly? If it was a tweed or a coat I would say put a velvet collar on it.

Can you show us a photograph?