• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get my packages delivered either to work or to a UPS access point on my short drive home.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't UPS and Fedex not ship to PO boxes?

Personally, I'm super glad I don't live in the 'burbs...
Agreed, and I don't live in the burbs either. I live in a historic district of cool, weird little houses and no ******* HOAs, in a small town in the PNW, where kids regularly walk to school on their own, and our police have to deal with problems like "There is an elk (the animal, not the old man) on the main street right now." There is also one of the state universities, and another 8 miles away in the sister town in WA, so a big movement of young people as well. Down the street. one block away, is a pretty decent park where the kids can play, but there are also bands, festivals, etc... in the summer.

I think that a lot of people are seeing the attraction of towns like this. A fair number of people who have moved here have been young families who are just done with the west coast cities. Our house appraisal went up about 50% since we bought it, which sorta sucks since it just means that we pay more property taxes), but now houses between $200-$400K are being bought day of listing, and often without even an official listing. We get realtors constantly asking us if we want to sell our house, and that we'd get a good price. But... then where would we live?

In 2015 or so, I briefly contemplated moving our family to a bigger hub so that we could attract some more talent, but, looked at the decrease in the standard of living, and was like... nope. I do miss a variety of restaurants though. We have a few good restaurants that would be good restaurants in any city - not stellar, but solid, but I miss the variety.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't UPS and Fedex not ship to PO boxes?

Personally, I'm super glad I don't live in the 'burbs...

are you pointing out the inconvenience or ? personally i'd rather bite the bullet and set up with a handful of major shippers (i assume they offer secure pickup as well) than form up a neighborhood posse and harangue the system into rousting down-and-out locals. that would tax my soul.

fwiw, i live in a university town.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Agreed, and I don't live in the burbs either. I live in a historic district of cool, weird little houses and no ******* HOAs, in a small town in the PNW, where kids regularly walk to school on their own, and our police have to deal with problems like "There is an elk (the animal, not the old man) on the main street right now." There is also one of the state universities, and another 8 miles away in the sister town in WA, so a big movement of young people as well. Down the street. one block away, is a pretty decent park where the kids can play, but there are also bands, festivals, etc... in the summer.

I think that a lot of people are seeing the attraction of towns like this. A fair number of people who have moved here have been young families who are just done with the west coast cities. Our house appraisal went up about 50% since we bought it, which sorta sucks since it just means that we pay more property taxes), but now houses between $200-$400K are being bought day of listing, and often without even an official listing. We get realtors constantly asking us if we want to sell our house, and that we'd get a good price. But... then where would we live?

In 2015 or so, I briefly contemplated moving our family to a bigger hub so that we could attract some more talent, but, looked at the decrease in the standard of living, and was like... nope. I do miss a variety of restaurants though. We have a few good restaurants that would be good restaurants in any city - not stellar, but solid, but I miss the variety.
Sign me up. Only concern is the major drop off in MMA training opportunities. That could be a deal breaker.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sign me up. Only concern is the major drop off in MMA training opportunities.
lol. Not sure if you are kidding, but we have that. And an hour and 20 minutes away is a team with multiple UFC fighters ranked in the top 10 of their weight and gender divisions who have come to train at our gym. A recent UFC fighter is here.weekly to train his ground game. So, in terms of per capita opportunities, it's not so bad. They breed them tough out here in the PNW. That said, I am on the injured list right now, since I got spiked on my head in practice last week, and want my back to heal up without complications.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

From the NewsHour last night:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After living all over the USA and the world I really prefer cities. Walkable, great chow, theater, concerts. Kind of sold on it now.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I must be so city, an hour and 20 minutes sounds really far away to me...

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was my old life. Now I walk five minutes to Metro and travel three stops to office.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It depends on the city. LA, 1:20 is the total commute time going out for dinner.

Also, in a small town, distances are both shorter and longer. If we can't get a parking space on the same block, I am sorta annoyed. In the city, a few blocks is nothing. At the same time, for a day trip on the weekend to go shopping and dinner, 1:20 one way is nothing.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was my old life. Now I walk five minutes to Metro and travel three stops to office.
Everything I need is within scooting distance - 15-20 minutes from my house, about 10 if I ride my bike. I do miss the food, but I don't miss the congested sidewalks, the not so subtle flexing at coffeeshops, restaurants, boutiques, whatever, the constant battle between traffic and pedestrians, the thousand yard stare on public transport, etc...

When I first moved here, I was shocked that cars would slow down if they saw you on the corner, to a stop, and gesture you across the street. And a slower pedestrian might gesture politely back to go on ahead. I was shocked that people would chat you up on the street, not to hustle you, but to say "I think that I know your wife/friend/kids from X place/event"

I was pleasantly surprised when a restauranteur, who is now a friend, said "Yeah, absolutely, let's do it" when I suggested that we have a impromptu whiskey tasting for some friends in his second room. Not even a fee. We just brought some booze together, and sent out evites.

Honestly, I thought that I would have a hard time adjusting to small town life - I was in Boston, and four years before that, over half a decade in LA, but I've 100% taken to it.

Back on topic, I can also get everything I want in a big city, delivered to my house, Actually, I have a world of stuff - much more choice than even the biggest cities offers, at my finger tips.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
talk to my wife, I'm ok moving to the burbs but she think that's death for her (we both grow up in big cities in Asia)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics