• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

Mariokartfever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks, is swords+smith the only store in brooklyn? are there any cool second hand stores or nah?

I find Sword Smith underwhelming for men, but if you're in Williamsburg already check out Kai D Utility on Grand Street (Workwear/Japanese) and Bird (right across the street).

I'd also add 45r to your Manhattan list if you're into Japanese brands, it's near many other shops you already have.

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to discuss, but I'm going to NYC tues-thursday, and want to make sure i hit up all the shops. So far these are the shops i can think of.

-Self Edge
-Nepenthes
-Odin
-180 the Store
-CHCM
-Blue In Green
-Swords Smith
-NMWA
-Barneys

am i missing anything that would be in this similiar aesthetic ivy/japanese workwear, etc? also like NMWA brands...
Odin is a waste of time. That store hasn’t been good in years

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find Sword Smith underwhelming for men, but if you're in Williamsburg already check out Kai D Utility on Grand Street (Workwear/Japanese) and Bird (right across the street).

I'd also add 45r to your Manhattan list if you're into Japanese brands, it's near many other shops you already have.
Great store. Crazy prices

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, apparently, the mood for fashion is not excellent for 2020: https://www.mckinsey.com/industries...-state-of-fashion-2020-navigating-uncertainty
Probably applies to many industries. Makes me think of the music industry's tribulations in the digital age. It ended up with an embarrassment of riches for fans. Everything out there legally at our digital fingertips, no need to buy anymore beyond a subscription. The last digital albums I actually paid for were simply to support the artists I love. Of course artists don't make much from music sales and have to earn via live shows. Apparently the bigger, savvier artists have engineered a cut of Stub Hub ticket sales as well.

Make me wonder who will benefit when retail "right-sizes" against the digital threat? Seriously sorry to see all the jobs go but I don't know what to do about it. Have prided myself on not visiting a shopping mall between Thanksgiving and Christmas for the past several years. Excursion to local bike shop for daughter's gift is my only non-digital gift shopping this year.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right sizing stores will benefit the" DTC stack" of software as service companies and those brands who have the ability to service customers shifting expectations and build out new things... and porch pirates.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right sizing stores will benefit the" DTC stack" of software as service companies and those brands who have the ability to service customers shifting expectations and build out new things... and porch pirates.

Interesting read. Glad I live in a building with a front desk to receive packages.

The Atlantic wrote an interesting piece on the human side of package theft.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting read. Glad I live in a building with a front desk to receive packages.

The Atlantic wrote an interesting piece on the human side of package theft.

My apartment building has a ridiculous electronic package locker thing that seems to be becoming common. It emails me when I get a package and I have to scan a QR code to retrieve it. I wonder if there's something like this for houses.

I think the system is OK, but the biggest problem is that there aren't enough lockers so overflow packages still end up at the office. That will probably be a real problem this month.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"The clash would also expose a fraught debate about who is responsible, and who is to blame."

Hmmm that bum just stole my packages, but who do I blame hmmmmmm
Yeah, I think that the Atlantic chose a really poor case study here. Clearly, there are issues in San Francisco, as one would expect of any metropolis undergoing rapid change, but I mean, gentrification did not make you steal packages off porches, nor carry heroin on your body.

So glad that I don't live in a city right now.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We've had good luck (knock on office desk) with stolen packages and things going sideways on delivery at work. Having a signature required for delivery can help and it's usually the default for international shipments. Unfortunately, it's just something that you deal with when shipping online orders. Like returns and credit card fraud, it's a cost that you've as a retailer have got to ultimately bear. Fair or not. It's not like shoplifting and "shrinkage" doesn't happen in brick and mortar retail. Full luxury communism is still a ways away so I guess we've got to adapt.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
um get a PO box? also super glad to not live in a city.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads