• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, in certain circumstances, it makes sense. By way of example, "flip phone" was originally a Motorola trademark ("clamshell design"). Clearly, "flip phone" is distinguishable from "Velcro," "Xerox," or "Advil" which, in and of themselves, mean nothing. Specifically, "flip phone" is descriptive. You could see how a competitor's inability to use the term "flip phone" as a descriptor would be detrimental to competition.

In other circumstances, it is a shame when a strong trademark (i.e., a "fanciful" (Reebok) or "arbitrary" (Apple) mark) is genericized, because typically it is a direct result of that company's success.

Landau

Reaction score
Sterling Ruby navigating the world of fashionz:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Old Navy will open stores at a moment when most of the industry is doing the opposite.

So far this year, retailers in the United States have announced more than 8,200 store closings, already exceeding last year's total of 5,589, according to Coresight Research.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm betting that it's mostly in small markets. I go to the mall just to see what people are doing, and Old Navy is consistently busy. It's inexpensive enough that pretty much anyone can buy there - adults for "fast fashion", and while they don't do near clones the way Zara does. they do accessible takes on trends, and parents for inexpensive clothing for kids. We go and get things that we know the kids will grow out of in under a year (and yes, it all goes after that to local consignment or friends with slightly younger kids.) I

In terms of adults, what it does that Zara does much less of is to do takes on trends are a few seasons old. Most of America is not looking for what Gucci just put on the runway - they have no idea what that might be. People want the trends that have tricked down to the midmarket. Old Navy is great at making versions of what you see on a site like Revolve Clothing for half the price.

There is a good reason that Old Navy is doing well while the other members of the now separated GAP group are floundering.

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm betting that it's mostly in small markets. I go to the mall just to see what people are doing, and Old Navy is consistently busy. It's inexpensive enough that pretty much anyone can buy there - adults for "fast fashion", and while they don't do near clones the way Zara does. they do accessible takes on trends, and parents for inexpensive clothing for kids. We go and get things that we know the kids will grow out of in under a year (and yes, it all goes after that to local consignment or friends with slightly younger kids.) I

In terms of adults, what it does that Zara does much less of is to do takes on trends are a few seasons old. Most of America is not looking for what Gucci just put on the runway - they have no idea what that might be. People want the trends that have tricked down to the midmarket. Old Navy is great at making versions of what you see on a site like Revolve Clothing for half the price.

There is a good reason that Old Navy is doing well while the other members of the now separated GAP group are floundering.

To be honest I haven't looked at an ON since our kids were very little, say 6-7 years ago. You're right, the kids' clothes are pretty good. The men's stuff seemed...underwhelming, like very little thought went into either designing or producing it. I don't see it as fast fashion lite but rather for the guy who says: "I'm a person, and people wear clothes, so I should also wear clothes."

I actually find the Gap to be better value for kids' clothes. My daughter is 11 and she loves their jeans and tops, and the quality is really quite good vs. price, and everything is always on sale. You just have to avoid anything that says "Gap" or has sparkles on it, which admittedly isn't an easy task.

Somehow the Gap acquired a bad stigma that it just can't shake, not quite sure why. Maybe b/c it's always on sale no one attaches any value to the brand.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Zara kid is more “on trend”, if I want simple piece then it’s uniqulo or muji

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
think it's always going to be hard to discuss sustainability on a forum like SF where were are generally praised for overconsumption. Some folks are great at eschewing the BUY! mentality and consistently provide great advice. But, that's maybe 5% of us. Much of the industry revolves around putting out new and exciting things twice a year to inspire us to buy more. I think a few of you have hit it on the head- buy less, buy smaller
To be honest I haven't looked at an ON since our kids were very little, say 6-7 years ago. You're right, the kids' clothes are pretty good. The men's stuff seemed...underwhelming, like very little thought went into either designing or producing it. I don't see it as fast fashion lite but rather for the guy who says: "I'm a person, and people wear clothes, so I should also wear clothes."

I actually find the Gap to be better value for kids' clothes. My daughter is 11 and she loves their jeans and tops, and the quality is really quite good vs. price, and everything is always on sale. You just have to avoid anything that says "Gap" or has sparkles on it, which admittedly isn't an easy task.

Somehow the Gap acquired a bad stigma that it just can't shake, not quite sure why. Maybe b/c it's always on sale no one attaches any value to the brand.
Zara kid is more “on trend”, if I want simple piece then it’s uniqulo or muji
What markets are you guys in. My main takeaway was that for small American markets more "on trend" is not necessarily good. Things just change more slowly. I knew a retailer in Boston who begged her vendors from LA and NYC to have more overlap in products between trends on the tail end and emerging trends. And that's simply the difference between a large cosmopolitan metropolis and a first tier city. The Euler diagrams between what trends are and what people want are quite different once you move outside outside the big cities on the coasts.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What markets are you guys in. My main takeaway was that for small American markets more "on trend" is not necessarily good. Things just change more slowly. I knew a retailer in Boston who begged her vendors from LA and NYC to have more overlap in products between trends on the tail end and emerging trends. And that's simply the difference between a large cosmopolitan metropolis and a first tier city. The Euler diagrams between what trends are and what people want are quite different once you move outside outside the big cities on the coasts.

I don't doubt you, I'm in the Manhattan market...

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We live in Paris, but there are a bunch of Gaps here. It's not quite so reviled as in the US.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Chart from Bloomberg including today's Q2 numbers. Similar to the Gap & Old Navy the subbrands outshine the Parent companies after they lots their luster.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That article comes out off the top with dropping "ontology" right upfront. That's a tough thing to dive into and think around as our intuitions are so built around possession of physical objects. The game "TF2" had and recent crash in their trading economy of digital goods that's pretty interesting to read about.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads