• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoe brand Greats apparently was bought by Steve Madden. https://footwearnews.com/2019/busin...-greats-sneaker-brand-acquisition-1202814466/

Brand started out as DTC moved to some distribution at wholesale and now taken over by a traditionally distributed brand. Not sure if this was an exit for the founder or what but the trajectory seems like a signal that a strict DTC distribution for many brands is/was a start up phase strategy.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A marriage made in mall shoe heaven

LaymanX

Reaction score
So.. Unionmade.. how in trouble are they? Just nonstop sales

edit: Oh wow, just heard they're shutting down. :( Sad day for all

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In the not too distant future, we will be able to know whether a pair of Common Projects is fake or not by simply scanning a bar code!...So, that is what those digits are stamped in gold! (10)

Nbarbar

Reaction score
Authenticity is going to become huge. Have you seen the recent Rolex videos? It’s way beyond the uncanny valley and at 1.1 for some steel models. I wouldn’t touch a second hand Rolex going forward.

Fashion is just as bad. Even obscure labels, like Kapital, are heavily copied now.

In the not too distant future, we will be able to know whether a pair of Common Projects is fake or not by simply scanning a bar code!...So, that is what those digits are stamped in gold! (10)

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

call me dumb, but why is blackchain necessary here, I can see centralized version doing better job here, there are benefit to distributed ledger but unclear to me why this is a good use case

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have an interview with one of the top executives at Uniqlo/ Fast Retailing next week. Curious if anyone has thoughts on what would be some good questions? This is one of the more interesting interviews I've been able to land, so I don't want to squander it.

Some things that I'm already planning to ask:

1. How does this person see the clothing retail industry changing? Mostly interested in the person's views on fast fashion, brick-and-mortar, rising rents in expensive cities, and managing global supply chains.

2. How is Fast Retailing, Uniqlo's parent company, responding?

3. How is Fast Retailing organized in terms of its internal structure, and how does this help or hurt its responsiveness to those challenges?

4. What makes Uniqlo different from other affordable clothing labels, such as Gap or Zara?

5. What are some of the legal challenges involved in managing a global brand? (I'm hoping to focus this interview mainly on law, business, and industry-related stuff).

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an interview with one of the top executives at Uniqlo/ Fast Retailing next week. Curious if anyone has thoughts on what would be some good questions? This is one of the more interesting interviews I've been able to land, so I don't want to squander it.

1. How does this person see the clothing retail industry changing? Mostly interested in the person's views on fast fashion, brick-and-mortar, rising rents in expensive cities, and managing global supply chains.

3. How is Fast Retailing organized in terms of its internal structure, and how does this help or hurt its responsiveness to those challenges?

4. What makes Uniqlo different from other affordable clothing labels, such as Gap or Zara?

5. What are some of the legal challenges involved in managing a global brand? (I'm hoping to focus this interview mainly on law, business, and industry-related stuff).
I'd be interested in knowing how they positioned their brand to be "cool" in the west, even in this day of instant global information transfer. The way in which Uniqlo was able to position itself in the States was pretty spectacular.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score

ask why they stopped making the skinny tapered selvedge jeans

cbusguy

Reaction score
good questions @dieworkwear. i'd like to know:

i think the questions about retail changing are interesting. especially with barneys, unionmade, and things like that. a little different, but i'd be interested to hear their thoughts.

how they pick or the process for picking collaborations?

how do they determine retail locations?

something about their website? i feel like i see a lot of people complain about it. it's hard for me use on my iphone. but you'd have to ask it in a way so they would answer. something like, do they have metrics on their website? do customers like it?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads