• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

happyriverz

Reaction score
I am not sure I know what you mean. What examples can you cite where NMWA succeeds in getting that look you describe right?

I think the best examples are from Greg and Kyle themselves. I mean, their way of dressing is not my way, but I think those two guys really thread the needle between accessibility and fashion: it's not boring in the "19 essentials every man should own" way, but it's not so conceptual in the "to really understand why this torn up Rick Owens parka is interesting, you have to understand Russian Constructivism" way either. I happen to lean in the latter camp, but I think most people are just interested in buying clothes that look nice/interesting without being alienating, and I think NMWA is one of the best at doing that.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the best examples are from Greg and Kyle themselves. I mean, their way of dressing is not my way, but I think those two guys really thread the needle between accessibility and fashion: it's not boring in the "19 essentials every man should own" way, but it's not so conceptual in the "to really understand why this torn up Rick Owens parka is interesting, you have to understand Russian Constructivism" way either. I happen to lean in the latter camp, but I think most people are just interested in buying clothes that look nice/interesting without being alienating, and I think NMWA is one of the best at doing that.

Rick Owens/any other "conceptual" brands are not any more...well..."conceptual" than any of the other streetwear brands stocked at, say, NMWA or Unionmade or End or whatever. Is Ann D or whomever doing anything qualitatively different from Our Legacy or even a workwear brand? I don't think so. There's just as much of an intellectual component to understanding the meta-references in American-Japanese-French workwear pieces as there is asymetrical drop crotch bullshit.

NMWA simply stock cooler clothes made by brands that are putting a lot of effort in to every process. Boring black **** with the occasional pop of cock hanging out isn't cool or interesting it's just **** overpriced design. Most of the collectively "avant-garde" brands have had nothing interesting to say for more than a decade. There are people that do it well but they aren't taking it from the perspective that they're doing anything different than any other fashion brand.

happyriverz

Reaction score
Rick Owens/any other "conceptual" brands are not any more...well..."conceptual" than any of the other streetwear brands stocked at, say, NMWA or Unionmade or End or whatever. Is Ann D or whomever doing anything qualitatively different from Our Legacy or even a workwear brand? I don't think so. There's just as much of an intellectual component to understanding the meta-references in American-Japanese-French workwear pieces as there is asymetrical drop crotch bullshit.

NMWA simply stock cooler clothes made by brands that are putting a lot of effort in to every process. Boring black **** with the occasional pop of cock hanging out isn't cool or interesting it's just **** overpriced design. Most of the collectively "avant-garde" brands have had nothing interesting to say for more than a decade. There are people that do it well but they aren't taking it from the perspective that they're doing anything different than any other fashion brand.

I don't think anyone denies that interesting clothes have intellectual components -- that's in part what makes clothes interesting, but I didn't think it was controversial to say that to most people, there is a difference between "getting" something like (1) a flannel shirt made with interesting details and (2) "weird" clothes that don't immediately fit into an easy-to-understand paradigm (again, to most people, not to people on clothing forums). This is not a claim about the objective merit/superiority of (1) or (2) -- just a personal observation.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone denies that interesting clothes have intellectual components -- that's in part what makes clothes interesting, but I didn't think it was controversial to say that to most people, there is a difference between "getting" something like (1) a flannel shirt made with interesting details and (2) "weird" clothes that don't immediately fit into an easy-to-understand paradigm (again, to most people, not to people on clothing forums). This is not a claim about the objective merit/superiority of (1) or (2) -- just a personal observation.

I don't think that people don't "get" those clothes of supposedly more obscure references - I think the average person on the street probably naturally understands quite a bit of it, more than we really give them credit for. They often just don't like it. I honestly don't think there are many if any fashion brands that are so intellectual that people don't understand them with a surface look.

Also I don't think that's all there is to the clothes at NMWA et al. It's not just interesting details, it's the same type of oblique references that happen in those clothes.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Side note on NMWA, NMWA definitely picks up lots of interesting stuff, but to me that has been on the non CM side despite being a CM guy, the stuff I bought from NMWA are always non CM except maybe Rota once a while?

happyriverz

Reaction score
I don't think that people don't "get" those clothes of supposedly more obscure references - I think the average person on the street probably naturally understands quite a bit of it, more than we really give them credit for. They often just don't like it. I honestly don't think there are many if any fashion brands that are so intellectual that people don't understand them with a surface look.

Also I don't think that's all there is to the clothes at NMWA et al. It's not just interesting details, it's the same type of oblique references that happen in those clothes.

Fair enough on the first point. On the second point, I never said that that's the only reason why NMWA is good. If anything, I think we are in agreement: NMWA just sells interesting clothes that look good, but not so obtuse that it turns off the average consumer. The oblique references are there for the enthusiasts.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Side note on NMWA, NMWA definitely picks up lots of interesting stuff, but to me that has been on the non CM side despite being a CM guy, the stuff I bought from NMWA are always non CM except maybe Rota once a while?
I’m the exact opposite. Almost everything I’ve grabbed at NMWA was CM.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well IG shirt is too long, Formosa is too long so is Eidos, I guess that rules me out for most of the tailoring stuff

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well IG shirt is too long, Formosa is too long so is Eidos, I guess that rules me out for most of the tailoring stuff
I’m a long so it definitely works for me. Awesome casual stuff, though. Am slowly expanding my Japanese indigo shirt collection.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fair enough on the first point. On the second point, I never said that that's the only reason why NMWA is good. If anything, I think we are in agreement: NMWA just sells interesting clothes that look good, but not so obtuse that it turns off the average consumer. The oblique references are there for the enthusiasts.

Right, to be clear I'm not really attacking your viewpoint or anything, I just get a little triggered by any vague notion of fashion elitism from nominally "avant-garde" brands, therefore I felt like digging a little bit into your post, if you take my meaning.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You can order custom Inglese shirts with your measurements for a nominal charge. The last batch I ordered went in early November and I received them mid Dec. Excellent turn-around time coming from Italy and for being custom.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMG_7279.jpg IMG_7280.jpg IMG_7281.jpg

Picked up a really cool cashmere scarf from Drake's at Barneys post-Christmas sale. Anyone have a clue as to the initials or the "T"? Never seen a Drake's product marked that way. Seems a bit disingenuous to say it's from Kashmir as well. Disputed territory but is that just a dodge to avoid saying Made in India or Pakistan?

The Drake's website lists scarves apparently from the same manufacturer as some Made in India and some Made in Kashmir.

Maybe I should put this in the Drake's thread? Oops...I always forget this is SW&D. Still, kind of a cool scarf, goes with jeans I think... :D

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads