• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1669994179_889_Balenciaga-allows-creative-director-Demna-to-keep-his-job-despite.jpg

schraiber

Reaction score
I've just continued to be baffled by how controversial the Balenciaga ads were. If it weren't for the controversy, I think I'd have seen them, thought they were stupid and tasteless, but then again a lot of advertising is, and moved on with my life.

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've just continued to be baffled by how controversial the Balenciaga ads were. If it weren't for the controversy, I think I'd have seen them, thought they were stupid and tasteless, but then again a lot of advertising is, and moved on with my life.
Me too, but I think you and I are not the intended audience for the latest child abuse moral panic going on in teh United States. Given that this is obviously the situation, I sorta think it was foolish of Balenciaga to wage right into it with this sort of ad campaign, but they apologized (unlike Kanye), so I fail to see how it even remotely rises to the level of what Kanye is doing.

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tbh I think the Bondage teddy bear would have come off as another out of touch high fashion weirdo attention grab if it wasn't for the "hidden" 1st amendment court docs. That really adds to the mosaic and fuels the current conspiracy theories. Maybe this will bring Denma back down to earth a bit.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Annual state of fashion from McKinsey & Business of Fashion is out.

Nike and LVMH are their top two super winners in their report.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
balenciaga-drops.jpg

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Annual state of fashion from McKinsey & Business of Fashion is out.

Nike and LVMH are their top two super winners in their report.
Sounds about right. Growth in luxury, generally from losing a bit to holding in clothing otherwise. Just a microcosm of our world.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe. But then there is this:
So, I'm undecided. We've seen a bit of both.

jah786

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Dear friends of Style Forum, Happy Holidays to all of you!
I was on the Ralph Lauren site today, looking at some RRL items and I couldn't help but notice that the website experience at Ralph is absolutely awful. I mean Kanye/Elon awful (couldn't resist). I think it might be the worst website in all of fashion retail. In the world of Ralph, it's RRL or nothing for me, but finding RRL is hard! and then staying in the RRL area is hard! I have to work hard to shop that site. Beautiful clothes but everything about the shopping experience is a dumpster fire.

Is there any large fashion player with a worse ecom experience than Ralph? Dept stores included. For years they had terrible websites but a quick check on Nordstrom and Bloomingdale's confirmed my suspicions, they are better than Ralph.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dear friends of Style Forum, Happy Holidays to all of you!
I was on the Ralph Lauren site today, looking at some RRL items and I couldn't help but notice that the website experience at Ralph is absolutely awful. I mean Kanye/Elon awful (couldn't resist). I think it might be the worst website in all of fashion retail. In the world of Ralph, it's RRL or nothing for me, but finding RRL is hard! and then staying in the RRL area is hard! I have to work hard to shop that site. Beautiful clothes but everything about the shopping experience is a dumpster fire.

Is there any large fashion player with a worse ecom experience than Ralph? Dept stores included. For years they had terrible websites but a quick check on Nordstrom and Bloomingdale's confirmed my suspicions, they are better than Ralph.

The Ralph Lauren site is a triumph over usability. I know that they did not just want a bring to market solution, but what they got instead was truly terrible.

If you want truly awful websites, though, you need to go with Italian brands. Not a major brand (I met them at Pitti Uomo once, but the truly awful experience makes up for it. The clothes can be done well - Frans Boone used to carry them (https://www.fransboonestore.com/). Um, for the full experience crank up the volume, You've been warned:

jah786

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The Ralph Lauren site is a triumph over usability. I know that they did not just want a bring to market solution, but what they got instead was truly terrible.

If you want truly awful websites, though, you need to go with Italian brands. Not a major brand (I met them at Pitti Uomo once, but the truly awful experience makes up for it. The clothes can be done well - Frans Boone used to carry them (https://www.fransboonestore.com/). Um, for the full experience crank up the volume, You've been warned:

Italian websites can be pretty terrible and that one is really bad. Italian yarn spinners and weavers are also pretty awful. But the biggest players are fine. Yoox is usable. So luisaviaroma. That's my point, RL is a huge company, they bring in about 6B a year with a 10% profit margin. They make money. The fact that their website is such a dumpster fire is beyond belief.

If we are going international, then I have to call out the Japanese select shops. United Arrows website on google says "United Arrows official mail order" and when i click on it, it times out. I can't even get it to load! Honestly they might be the global winner because you can't even get to a website.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Italian websites can be pretty terrible and that one is really bad. Italian yarn spinners and weavers are also pretty awful. But the biggest players are fine. Yoox is usable. So luisaviaroma. That's my point, RL is a huge company, they bring in about 6B a year with a 10% profit margin. They make money. The fact that their website is such a dumpster fire is beyond belief.

If we are going international, then I have to call out the Japanese select shops. United Arrows website on google says "United Arrows official mail order" and when i click on it, it times out. I can't even get it to load! Honestly they might be the global winner because you can't even get to a website.
Rakuten is pretty bad as well. Often, the website just times out your card. Or forgets your login.

At least Ralph lets you pay.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone elsewhere asked, and most people here already know, but this bears repeating, since I hear complaints about "markups" all the time:

Incidentally not for the fashion industry, in which retail is often closer to 2.3-2.5x wholesale, because it needs to be, Exact markups vary by industry.

The margins are lower than you calculated. Aside from overhead xpenses, if they have retailers, the must sell to them at wholesale. Typically, a designer will markup the product 100% landed cost (so, including sipping and tariffs), and the retailer will markup at least 100% (this is called keystone). These are very conservative estimates. Designers and retailers absorb the costs of salaries, marketing, retail spaces, theft, defective or returned defective products and excess inventory, markdowns, etc... Good retail profit margins are about 10%. Retail is a low margins business that requires fiscally responsible practices.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads