• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

Reginald Bartholomew

Reaction score
People who buy synthetics for "performance" overwhelmingly do not need them. This is most true for "rugged" clothing that will never see rough treatment (the ubiquitous synthetic raincoat with Gore membrane and DWR coating that goes from front door to car door and car door to mall door is one of my favourite pieces of modern nonsense), but also extends to athleisure rarely worn for exercise (I work out like a motherfucker in cotton and still have not died of it). This is mostly the progressive middle class doing "overcoming athlete" cosplay, akin to the workin' man cosplay of the soft handed conservative suburban dad who drives his kids around in an F 350 or similar. A sane society would outlaw this useless insanity.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People who buy synthetics for "performance" overwhelmingly do not need them. This is most true for "rugged" clothing that will never see rough treatment (the ubiquitous synthetic raincoat with Gore membrane and DWR coating that goes from front door to car door and car door to mall door is one of my favourite pieces of modern nonsense), but also extends to athleisure rarely worn for exercise (I work out like a motherfucker in cotton and still have not died of it). This is mostly the progressive middle class doing "overcoming athlete" cosplay, akin to the workin' man cosplay of the soft handed conservative suburban dad who drives his kids around in an F 350 or similar. A sane society would outlaw this useless insanity.
I pretty much agree but have come to appreciate synthetic shirts and shorts for running and cycling. Cotton gets wet and stays wet but the nicer synthetic stuff does actually breath and dry faster.

I do smirk at the folks who buy parkas rated to summit K2 but only go from the Lincoln Navigator to Whole Foods and back in light rain.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
“The main type of microfibre found in seafloor sediments was thus essentially not plastic but cellulose fibres, that consisted of both dyed natural cellulose (cotton, linen) and manufactured fibres composed of regenerated cellulose, e.g. rayon,” says the paper."

"Micro–Fourier transform infrared (μFTIR) characterization revealed that 91.8% of fibers were natural fibers of animal or plant origin (n = 1984). Most fibers were cellulosics (79.5%), with cotton being the most frequent match (50% of all fibers; n = 992), followed by other plant-based fibers (e.g., viscose, linen, jute, kenaf, hemp, etc.), which accounted together for 29.5% of all fibers (n = 585). A further 12.3% (n = 244) were animal fibers: 11.6% wool and 0.6% silk. Only 8.2% of fibers were synthetic (n = 163). Most plastic fibers were polyester (n = 123; 6.2% of the total), followed by acrylic and nylon (n = 14 each; 0.7%), polypropylene (n = 7; 0.4%), and aramid (n = 5; 0.3%)."

Microfibers as a whole need to be looked at.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All textiles can shed fibres as they breakdown. Synthetics are going to stick around for basically ever while the more natural theoretically will biodegrade. Recent studies did find natural fibres in deep ocean so they don't just disappear automatically.
The elephant in the room is overconsumption - off everything, from energy to matter. Ideally, we would consume less, keep things longer, and everything would be cradle to cradle. But our economy is not structured that way, and we’ve seen how people are resistant to even short term changes…

tweedlover

Reaction score
The elephant in the room is overconsumption - off everything, from energy to matter. Ideally, we would consume less, keep things longer, and everything would be cradle to cradle. But our economy is not structured that way, and we’ve seen how people are resistant to even short term changes…
Well, heck, I'm so easy on clothes I have a number of shirts which are in excess of 20 years old in my closet and, of course, much of my wardrobe, in general, was bought thrifted.

Symphony

Reaction score
any suggestions on good camp collar shirts?

just bought this post imperial one and i’m addicted

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Racing Green

Reaction score

Battenwear on that very subject - https://battenwear.com/blogs/bivoua...f-and-battenwears-approach-to-not-getting-wet

Shetterd

Reaction score
“The main type of microfibre found in seafloor sediments was thus essentially not plastic but cellulose fibres, that consisted of both dyed natural cellulose (cotton, linen) and manufactured fibres composed of regenerated cellulose, e.g. rayon,” says the paper."

Isn't that essentially saying that blends are particularly bad?

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do feel like they should just say it's water resistant. I do believe that people always will feel disappointed otherwise. However, I definitely feel like the whole waterproof thing is overrated. **** feels like being in a bag even with the most breathable ones. Too hot when it's hot, not warm enough when it's cold.

Frankly I'd rather just carry a poncho if I need it.

xeoniq

Reaction score
Ventile isn't bad for a shell, imo. Feels a bit more comfortable and isn't as noisy as nylon-faced jackets. Plenty of used ones for sale from different labels if you don't want to support creating brand new items for ethical/environmental reasons, and in my experience ventile outers still resist water well even with age. The material is probably not good enough for snow sports but for the odd rain shower around town, it's more than enough to keep you dry.

Reginald Bartholomew

Reaction score
You can wear a cotton sweatshirt and keep mostly dry in a rain shower around town. The performance gear mindset is maybe required if you are climbing mountains or out in wild country (and ignore the long sweep of human history which came up with solutions a lot less damaging to said mountains and wildness than DWR-coated plastics), but the idea that one needs ventile to walk around a city in a country of the capitalist core is some citation-needed ****. No one gets water logged leading to their core temperature dropping to life threatening levels while strolling down the high street, and the idea that you need to prepare for that eventuality as you stroll from book shop to lunch spot is the kind of cosplay that needs to be mocked.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads