• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@smittycl Come visit my shop. I can make you a version of the shirt I made for DC in Macbeth.
Did you make the black silk button down shirt? Most of his other stuff was pullovers apart from the pajamas he wore for bit. Lots of blood in the play of course! You must have made a bunch. :cheers:

Sorry I didn’t have a chance to come by today.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Did you make the black silk button down shirt? Most of his other stuff was pullovers apart from the pajamas he wore for bit. Lots of blood in the play of course! You must have made a bunch. :cheers:

Sorry I didn’t have a chance to come by today.
Made the black silk. I have not seen the play nor a photo of him in the shirt.
The shirts was cut very short and the collar had a fairly long point.
I have heard mixed reviews.
I think I made him 4 and 2 for the understudy.
Did not make his Pajamas.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Made the black silk. I have not seen the play nor a photo of him in the shirt.
The shirts was cut very short and the collar had a fairly long point.
I have heard mixed reviews.
I think I made him 4 and 2 for the understudy.
Did not make his Pajamas.
Show was good, fun to watch DC chew up the scenery. More of an experimental staging which I found a little off-putting at times.

I would have taken a pic of the shirt if photography were allowed.

BlakeRVA

Reaction score
Interesting piece on what goes into the retail price of a garment. Leaves you thinking “How can clothes be so cheap?”

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty good but the line in there "but it’s still polyester, and you shouldn’t waste $400 on something so environmentally damaging" is maddening. Synthetics aren't automatically bad nor are "natural" fabrics like cotton automatically good. Cotton takes huge amounts of land and water for the fibres and when recycled makes a poorer quality of materials while polyester when recycled is quite good. Historical and current labor (USA and Xinjiang) in the cotton supply chains not exactly kind.

Synthetics like polyester have a bias against them, it's a hippy dippy notion that they are more pure by default and of greater value. Have to look at the whole picture. Its a huge blind spot for folks.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty good but the line in there "but it’s still polyester, and you shouldn’t waste $400 on something so environmentally damaging" is maddening. Synthetics aren't automatically bad nor are "natural" fabrics like cotton automatically good. Cotton takes huge amounts of land and water for the fibres and when recycled makes a poorer quality of materials while polyester when recycled is quite good. Historical and current labor (USA and Xinjiang) in the cotton supply chains not exactly kind.

Synthetics like polyester have a bias against them, it's a hippy dippy notion that they are more pure by default and of greater value. Have to look at the whole picture. Its a huge blind spot for folks.

There were a LOT of really bad synthetics in the 70's used on quirky, styled clothing that left a lasting bad impression in spite of improvements in the last 20 years.

nik nik shirts (1).jpg

BlakeRVA

Reaction score

Polyester isn’t inherently bad, nor is cotton inherently good, but in best case scenarios cotton > polyester, no?

This reminds me of a book I read several years ago (the name is escaping me) where they talked about how much effort goes into making products as functional as possible. However, almost no thought goes into how the product will “die” or potentially be reused. They provided several examples of ways to make common things easier to recycle and repurpose.

Wonder how that could be adopted at scale in the fashion industry. There’s probably enough buttons and snaps that have been produced in the last 50 years to never need to manufacture them again lol.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do all synthetics drop microplastics when washed? I don't mind synthetics at all, but I do worry that even in the lifetime of owning them, they cause damage to the earth. I rarely buy anything new anymore, but I'm still conscious of how bad things are even with used ****.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Polyester isn’t inherently bad, nor is cotton inherently good, but in best case scenarios cotton > polyester, no?
Fair labor, organically farmed cotton, naturally dyed with low water use, grown in a water rich region vs closed loop recycled poly fibres that's blue sign designated. Hard to say what's best if each were given their best case. I think it would depend on how it's quantified and they are very different fibres technically so apples to apples could be tough. A problem when it comes to sustainability and claims made on both sides - how is it measured?

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
og cotton shows a natural variety of colors and presents fewer challenges and requirements than industrial cultivars :

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do all synthetics drop microplastics when washed?
All textiles can shed fibres as they breakdown. Synthetics are going to stick around for basically ever while the more natural theoretically will biodegrade. Recent studies did find natural fibres in deep ocean so they don't just disappear automatically.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i'll go ahead and add that on a basis of equity non-industrial production is inherently more democratic and i'd argue more sustainable both ecologically and socially , poly vs cotton is a very apples to oranges comparison but on any basis it's very easy to my mind to favor cotton as the more responsible fiber .

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of my biggest complaints about the sustainability of recycled synthetics is that it first requires the production of massive amounts of virgin synthetics to be recycled. And, I wouldn't be surprised if less than 2% of synthetic clothes are actually recycled. Even the HIGG Index doesn't account for the production of virgin polyester when analyzing the impacts of recycled polyester. As a result, it looks more sustainable than many cottons. Knowing that synthetics shed fibers that last forever and are even found in animal tissues around the world makes me feel so done with buying any synthetics (except in the rare cases where performance requires such). I can't even bear to buy a 50/50 tee anymore.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads