• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude,
relax, its a simple discussion with various people interested in and knowledgeable about fashion giving their OPINIONS
when did you become quizmaster with prizes to award?

I dont know who you worked for and it doesn't matter,
what is clear is that i view this very different from you...and that's perfectly fine
[/QUOTE

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude,
relax, its a simple discussion with various people interested in and knowledgeable about fashion giving their OPINIONS
when did you become quizmaster with prizes to award?

I dont know who you worked for and it doesn't matter,
what is clear is that i view this very different from you...and that's perfectly fine
You relax. check the data and do some research. He created a billion dollar brand in a few years time.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Actually he lost much more.
And per this article, Hedi Slimane designs were definitely the reason

so after Karl died a bunch of books that couldn't be published during his lifetime (because he would have sued the authors and otherwise ruined their lives) came out. Patrick Hourcade's recent book suggests that actually Karl had discovered he had cancer and it was his treatments that caused him to lose so much weight in the early 2000s. It certainly makes more sense than suddenly deciding that he wanted to fit in Dior Homme suits.

Zamb

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
You relax. check the data and do some research. He created a billion dollar brand in a few years time.
I'm Jamaican........................easy like a Lionel Richie Sunday morning, it's you who seem to be twisting up yourself like a pretzel.
you can talk all kinds of nonsense..........about Data and Research, Let me put this out there for you with your Data and Research. Kanye is NOT a Billionaire, and it shows how gullible you are to believe that.

Remember this, Elizabeth Holmes was a billionaire until she wasn't.
Epstein was sold to us as a Billionaire, until suddenly he was only valued at ' a few hundred million"
According to these people, Kanye West is the richest Black person in America. Wealthier than Michael Jordan and several others..............guess you believe that too? cause yea, its Ye(sus).....a god, and we should believe on him, just as we believe on Jesus

you know to make Kanye into a billionaire they actually added his FUTURE EARNINGS with Yeezy x Gap into the equation, right?
guess your data and research didn't tell you that...........but yea....
back to fashion cause that's what I talk about

gs77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so after Karl died a bunch of books that couldn't be published during his lifetime (because he would have sued the authors and otherwise ruined their lives) came out. Patrick Hourcade's recent book suggests that actually Karl had discovered he had cancer and it was his treatments that caused him to lose so much weight in the early 2000s. It certainly makes more sense than suddenly deciding that he wanted to fit in Dior Homme suits.

Maybe. But even if it was just an excuse and to cover up his serious illness, it gives credit to Slimane. And when credit comes from Karl Lagerfeld, it should count as recognizing Hedi's influence.

Zamb

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
you do realize that Lagerfeld died only two years ago, and he lost this weight around 2003/4. So he had cancer? and continued to work for like 15 years for like 4 different houses, among his myriad of other projects............and now after his death you believe "some author" rather than we he SAID and actually DID while he was alive?

you do know that Lagerfeld in the 70's was actually a body builder and one of the few designers who actually never smoked, never did drugs or drank alcohol..........the Man WAS KNOWN TO BE INCREDIBLY DISCIPLINED..and so it isnt a stretch that if he wanted to lose weight, he could have done it through diet and exercise

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
you do realize that Lagerfeld died only two years ago, and he lost this weight around 2003/4. So he had cancer? and continued to work for like 15 years for like 4 different houses, among his myriad of other projects............and now after his death you believe "some author" rather than we he SAID and actually DID while he was alive?

you do know that Lagerfeld in the 70's was actually a body builder and one of the few designers who actually never smoked, never did drugs or drank alcohol..........the Man WAS KNOWN TO BE INCREDIBLY DISCIPLINED..and so it isnt a stretch that if he wanted to lose weight, he could have done it through diet and exercise
Nope, not a stretch, I agree. I'm just presenting this as a data point because it also would make sense. And yes, I've read a bunch of biographies of him and stuff by him including his own damn diet book. The assertion in Hourcade's book was that his first battle with cancer occurred in the early 2000s. Hourcade definitely has an axe to grind, so take Hourcade with a grain of salt.

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm Jamaican........................easy like a Lionel Richie Sunday morning, it's you who seem to be twisting up yourself like a pretzel.
you can talk all kinds of nonsense..........about Data and Research, Let me put this out there for you with your Data and Research. Kanye is NOT a Billionaire, and it shows how gullible you are to believe that.

Remember this, Elizabeth Holmes was a billionaire until she wasn't.
Epstein was sold to us as a Billionaire, until suddenly he was only valued at ' a few hundred million"
According to these people, Kanye West is the richest Black person in America. Wealthier than Michael Jordan and several others..............guess you believe that too? cause yea, its Ye(sus).....a god, and we should believe on him, just as we believe on Jesus

you know to make Kanye into a billionaire they actually added his FUTURE EARNINGS with Yeezy x Gap into the equation, right?
guess your data and research didn't tell you that...........but yea....
back to fashion cause that's what I talk about
Did I say he was a billionaire? I said he created a billion dollar brand In a handful of years.

Last edited:

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did I saw he was a billionaire? I said he created a billion dollar brand In a handful of years.
When GAP announced their partnership the stock piece went up. Facts

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what happened to the Sean John brand. Seemed like it totally disappeared.

blacklight

Reaction score
In 2005 - 2009/10 nobody regarded Kanye West as any meaningful influence on fashion. it was DIOR and Hedi's work that was the epitome of Menswear, followed by what RAF was doing.

I find this hard to believe when the latter half of this period is widely regarded as Kanye's peak influence as both musical artist and aesthete due to how groundbreaking 808s and My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy were. This period alone saw him design a Bapesta in 2007, multiple shoes for Louis Vuitton (including the Jasper) as well as the OG Yeezy Blink for Nike in 2009. The looks from Love Lockdown and the red suit Runaway rollout are easily two of the most iconic from that period, and it's his work here which sets the foundation for Virgil's emergence, Tisci's rise to the top of streetwear, KAWS inroad into fashion post-Original Fake, and the supercharging of drop and resell culture all in 2011. This is to say nothing about the Dropout Bear era which saw Polo and Rugby at the forefront of streetwear in 2006.

Adding 2011 into this range only because Watch the Throne is often bracketed with MBDTF in popular and critical media. Givenchy's affiliation with WTT (Tisci designed the album cover) positions the house as the architect of high streetwear and the Madonna/Rottweiler shirts can be found on every man, woman, and dog in LA at this point. Zara cannot produce enough knockoff Givenchy to meet demand.

Pyrex Vision and the most important Yeezy (the Pure Platinum and Solar Red Yeezy 2s) came the following year and from that point it's history.

The guy is nuts but the luxury houses were costing themselves who knows much by dismissing him for as long as they did. Arnault has even admitted as much. Also, citing a Conde Nast publication pre-2015 (or really ever, lol) as means of evaluating the influence of any part of black popular culture is absolutely hilarious.

In response to Greg's point about business vs. trends and silhouettes that's fair until you consider APC raws, shutter shades, waxed denim, leather trousers, shutter shades, BC3/Infrared 6s/Bred 1s hype, biker jeans, and duck camoflage all came out of this period as a direct result of that co-sign. This isn't the runway and Vogue editors and billionaire's kids playing dress-up in Tribeca. This is what real life people were wearing in the street.

Last edited:

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In response to Greg's point about business vs. trends and silhouettes that's fair until you consider APC raws, shutter shades, waxed denim, leather trousers, shutter shades, BC3/Infrared 6s/Bred 1s hype, biker jeans, and duck camoflage all came out of this period as a direct result of that co-sign. This isn't the runway and Vogue editors and billionaire's kids playing dress-up in Tribeca. This is what real life people were wearing in the street.
Kanye did not really start any of these trends though.... other than shutter shades of course. These things all already had steam in trendy cities like Tokyo, Paris, NYC, hell even superfuture, before Kanye blew it up mainstream. In the early 2000s there was a big enough gap between fashion internet and hiphop culture which Kanye bridged with enough quickness that to the avg music fan it looked like he was the person who started them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads