• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

BlakeRVA

Reaction score
Honestly, the only thing I think of hearing Kanye and Hedi in the same conversation:

This entire interview is a Certified Hood Classic. It was in 2013 and Kanye's words aged like the finest of wine. He starts on Hedi Slimane at 13:55:

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always assumed buy this stuff for counterfeiting purposes...
I had some empty bottles of 12 and 16 year hibiki whiskey and I remember someone said those were selling for 40 to 80 dollar for the empty bottle if the label was in good condition. I can only imagine it was to counterfeit.

So to do some fresh complaining on the packaging front. My wife did a vacation splurge and spent 6300 euro on a jacket at Hermès. We took it back to the hotel and while they did put it in a nice enough cloth garment bag, the hanger they gave us is a plastic felted one feels like it would shatter if I accidentally stepped on it. Maybe they do this to make it less heavy or maybe this is just standard for women's luxury brands, but it felt kind of like a cheap move from a brand that should not be skimping on anything. I guess this just makes me appreciate the excellent hangers from nmwa even more.

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because i actually lived in an was involved in fashion when he came on the scene. i am a student of fashions history as much as i am a practitioner...........
Many people knew of Hedi at DIOR, but he started at YSL. at the time YSL had no menswear, he built that.......and yes Karl Largefeld did say that he lost weight because he wanted to wear the clothes that Hedi Slimane made
In 2005 - 2009/10 nobody regarded Kanye West as any meaningful influence on fashion. it was DIOR and Hedi's work that was the epitome of Menswear, followed by what RAF was doing.

I remember Vogue once did a story on the 9 or 10 Most influential designers at the time, they had |
Veronique B.
Raf Simons
Ghesquire (Balenciaga)
Olivier Theyskens
Junya Watanabe
AF Vandervost
Roberto Minichetto (burberry
(I forgot the others)
And.............Hedi Slimane. What stood out at the time was Slimane was the ONLY menswear designer included on the list, and he was included because while he did menswear, Women were the biggest purchasers of the clothes.

in that Era came about guys like Cloak, Ervell Band of Outsiders etc, who were heavily influenced by what Slimane was doing at Dior

I understand the context of culture with Kanye etc, but Im approaching this from the angle of WHAT became fashionable in terms of silhouettes, actual garments, design cues etc, rather than WHO brought fashion to the masses
Dude, you're all kinds of wrong. His impact in youth culture, streetwear, or whatever the hell you want to say was huge then. His name was on the lips of a ton of corporations that I worked with at that time.

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
His impact is so outsized that corporations like Adidas and GAP mention his association on quarterly investor calls so they can boost the stock price and give their investors the warm and fuzzies.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
couple more points:

(1) do we feel the same way with IRL shopping? would we be satisfied going to a nice store, spend $400 on a sweater and have the clerk hand you a polybagged unit and a receipt? Rational or not, I feel like it detracts from the shopping experience and would leave a mixed impression of the shop/brand on me. I don’t see online shopping as that different - it leaves a weird taste when I spent $1k on a jacket and it arrives in a polybag with a couple barcode stickers. (I’m old and willing to admit that millennials may think differently)

(2) a lot of people buy things for others. If you went to get something nice for your SO, would you prefer a nice pouch or tissue paper? When you get flowers for her, don’t you appreciate the careful wrapping of the bouquet rather than just leave with the flowers? As a retailer, we don’t always know if something is bought to give or not…

Over a decade ago, I bought a Coach wallet from the Coach store in NYC. At that point in my life, I thought I was purchasing real luxury and was very disappointed that the sales rep wrapped it in some paper and put into a small shopping bag. I was expecting a nice bag/box and certificates of authenticity...

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had some empty bottles of 12 and 16 year hibiki whiskey and I remember someone said those were selling for 40 to 80 dollar for the empty bottle if the label was in good condition. I can only imagine it was to counterfeit.

So to do some fresh complaining on the packaging front. My wife did a vacation splurge and spent 6300 euro on a jacket at Hermès. We took it back to the hotel and while they did put it in a nice enough cloth garment bag, the hanger they gave us is a plastic felted one feels like it would shatter if I accidentally stepped on it. Maybe they do this to make it less heavy or maybe this is just standard for women's luxury brands, but it felt kind of like a cheap move from a brand that should not be skimping on anything. I guess this just makes me appreciate the excellent hangers from nmwa even more.
This is an NMWA post, isn’t it?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And a smell you can't quite identify

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
you can always over power it with infinite Tide or your own stink ?‍♂️

Zamb

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Dude, you're all kinds of wrong. His impact in youth culture, streetwear, or whatever the hell you want to say was huge then. His name was on the lips of a ton of corporations that I worked with at that time.
Dude,
relax, its a simple discussion with various people interested in and knowledgeable about fashion giving their OPINIONS
when did you become quizmaster with prizes to award?

I dont know who you worked for and it doesn't matter,
what is clear is that i view this very different from you...and that's perfectly fine

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think one of you is talking about influence on fashion (silhouettes, trends…) and the other is talking about influence on the fashion business (expanding audience, selling a billion sneakers and hoodies for corporations…). Two different facets

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads