• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
watch box is also stupid heavy these days...
I can't imagine living in NYC with limited closet space and a big watch collection. The closet would be filled with useless watch boxes. Since I live in Texas, I have 3 closets in my house with basically nothing in them so it's not an issue for me right now.

thatboyo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Other than a watch box or an eyeglasses case or a decent quality garment bag, does anyone remember the packaging one or two months later?
I had someone complain once after I sold him sneakers because the original wrapping papers were not included. It was a collab and had specific wrapping paper that I threw out or misplaced. Also had dudes backing out of deals because I didn’t have original box, even for more basic stuff like MMM gats.

Also had someone complain hangar that I used to took pics for a jacket wasn’t included (standard NMWA hangar).

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think good packaging works well the first time but is diminishing return afterwards. I remember my first order from Mr.porter and the packaging and faux hand written note was really a step above others at the time. But enough packages later and it just feels wasteful. I'm sure a good amount of ppl will complain about them cutting corners and "the good old days" if they cut back though. A minimal packaging option for those who request it seems best.
Mr. Porter actually does have a minimal packaging option now. I was pleased to see that when I last ordered something.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mythersea does as well.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there are pretty active markets for branded packaging , as mentioned hermes is indeed pretty easy to buy odd boxes and ribbons on etsy etc . i'd assume that's true of watches too and i'm sure there are other categories .

while i don't keep new packaging ( is rare for me to buy new ) i do have a drawer full of antique yarn packing materials - which is also surprisingly involved and prolific - but that's more an interest in the idea of marketing unfinished goods and promoting household industry etc .

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've also experienced a stance of "I'll know it when I see it" in creative directions or client be a sign that the creative in charge has a weak vision for a project and design as a process resulting in trouble articulating a way forward. I don't think that's the case for Kanye. Like Steve Jobs was Steve Jobs Kanye is Kanye. What process or behaviours "works" for some superstar isn't going to work for others or most average folk. Nor will they be afforded the same runway or good will by companies or teams without the same $uccess to back them up.

View attachment 1713040
Not sure what you're trying to say here, but he doesn't stop when other people think he should. He stops when he things it is right.

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think people are consuming just objects. They are buying things for their symbolic meaning or associated meanings -- ideas about luxury, quality, authenticity, and even personal identity. Attempts to boil down this market to just objects, delivering on pure value, often result in boring, mediocre DTC brands.

I agree that the packaging is superfluous, and I would rather do without the stuff. But I also recognize that a lot of what we're purchasing is about meaning and not about objects, and packaging plays a small role in this perception.
100% true

sftiger

Reaction score
there are pretty active markets for branded packaging , as mentioned hermes is indeed pretty easy to buy odd boxes and ribbons on etsy etc . i'd assume that's true of watches too and i'm sure there are other categories .

I always assumed buy this stuff for counterfeiting purposes...

sftiger

Reaction score
There is some psychology involved of course. I ordered one MTM suit from Kent Wang years ago and it arrived squished into a Priority Mail box. I'm not sure which was worse though, the fact that my suit arrived in the same of box used books show up in or that it was folded basically to bouillon cube size.

I prefer some sort of professionalism but it doesn't have to be over the top.

I honestly kind of like this, it feels more handmade to me if it basically looks like a dude hurriedly shoved it in a flat rate box on his commute home.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly kind of like this, it feels more handmade to me if it basically looks like a dude hurriedly shoved it in a flat rate box on his commute home.
Not for tailoring. Folded up too tightly can damage the garment.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never bought tailoring from them again.

Zamb

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Why do you think Hedi has been so influential?

In other news, Virgil's final collection for Louis Vuitton Men's was presented today. The vibrant tailoring and sound track are phenomenal. Lots of quirky headwear, androgynous layering, and even some anime gloves. It certainly feels "High Fashion", but has that youthful spirit and accessibility about it that Virgil was so strong at communicating.

Because i actually lived in an was involved in fashion when he came on the scene. i am a student of fashions history as much as i am a practitioner...........
Many people knew of Hedi at DIOR, but he started at YSL. at the time YSL had no menswear, he built that.......and yes Karl Largefeld did say that he lost weight because he wanted to wear the clothes that Hedi Slimane made
In 2005 - 2009/10 nobody regarded Kanye West as any meaningful influence on fashion. it was DIOR and Hedi's work that was the epitome of Menswear, followed by what RAF was doing.

I remember Vogue once did a story on the 9 or 10 Most influential designers at the time, they had |
Veronique B.
Raf Simons
Ghesquire (Balenciaga)
Olivier Theyskens
Junya Watanabe
AF Vandervost
Roberto Minichetto (burberry
(I forgot the others)
And.............Hedi Slimane. What stood out at the time was Slimane was the ONLY menswear designer included on the list, and he was included because while he did menswear, Women were the biggest purchasers of the clothes.

in that Era came about guys like Cloak, Ervell Band of Outsiders etc, who were heavily influenced by what Slimane was doing at Dior

I understand the context of culture with Kanye etc, but Im approaching this from the angle of WHAT became fashionable in terms of silhouettes, actual garments, design cues etc, rather than WHO brought fashion to the masses

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads