• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do you think Hedi has been so influential?

In other news, Virgil's final collection for Louis Vuitton Men's was presented today. The vibrant tailoring and sound track are phenomenal. Lots of quirky headwear, androgynous layering, and even some anime gloves. It certainly feels "High Fashion", but has that youthful spirit and accessibility about it that Virgil was so strong at communicating.

What a stunning collection. It was the perfect mashup of street fashion and haute couture. I'm eating my words when I said I wasn't particularly a fan of his work.

kanye‘s birthed an army of creatives - from Virgil, Matthew Williamson, Heron Preston Etc and literally put a battery in the back of Adidas, making them relevant again. GAP is next…
Funny story, though, I know someone at Adidas who worked with Kanye and they said that it was nearly impossible. Every time he'd come to see the collection they designed, he completely changed his mind and had them start over on something entirely different.

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What a stunning collection. It was the perfect mashup of street fashion and haute couture. I'm eating my words when I said I wasn't particularly a fan of his work.

Funny story, though, I know someone at Adidas who worked with Kanye and they said that it was nearly impossible. Every time he'd come to see the collection they designed, he completely changed his mind and had them start over on something entirely different.
That's why he wins. For most people, good enough is good enough. It's the same way with his music and art direction.

gs77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have zero understanding of fashion history but somehow when someone says restarting slim karl lagerfeld would come to my mind too?

I read somewhere long time ago that Karl Lagerfeld said himself that he turned to super slim clothes (even went on diet and lost like 30kg) when he saw Hedi Slimane's collection. No idea if this is true, so take for what it is worth.

gs77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere long time ago that Karl Lagerfeld said himself that he turned to super slim clothes (even went on diet and lost like 30kg) when he saw Hedi Slimane's collection. No idea if this is true, so take for what it is worth.

Actually he lost much more.
And per this article, Hedi Slimane designs were definitely the reason

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Irrelevant to current discussion but probably the best place to put this: I've only ever purchased from STAG Provisions in person before (RIP Houston location) so I was pleasantly surprised by the packaging for my recent order. My shirt itself came in a high quality plastic bag (as opposed to thin/crinkly plastic that tears at the seams or wrapped in paper) and the packaging was a thick brown bag that was folded over, w/ store logos on the front and back. Inside an envelope was a Season's Greetings postcard w/ discount code, on its reverse was a cocktail recipe (Boulevardier), a list of their favorite holiday movies, and a QR code to their current store/holiday playlist. I prefer the cloth bags provided by NMWA and the handwritten notes that several affiliate vendors include, but this was really nice.

Am I the only person out there who is completely uninterested in all the flotsam and jetsam that comes with packaging nowadays? I don't want or need any of that extra stuff. Please send me the most minimal box possible with the least amount of nonsense inside. Kudos to Ralph Lauren for offering a "minimal packaging" option on most (all?) of their products.

thatboyo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I the only person out there who is completely uninterested in all the flotsam and jetsam that comes with packaging nowadays? I don't want or need any of that extra stuff. Please send me the most minimal box possible with the least amount of nonsense inside. Kudos to Ralph Lauren for offering a "minimal packaging" option on most (all?) of their products.
I’m the same. If I have space I may save packaging for when I sell stuff but otherwise it’s just waste. I think the issue is that you have buyers who don’t care but more buyers who do care (or are more vocal) and want the fancy trimmings and all that.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

jaaz16

Reaction score

I'm the same (to a degree), but I definitely think we're in the minority. I've seen Youtube/TikTok accounts that buy the cheapest thing from luxury brands and rate the ornate packaging, as well as accounts that specialize in fakes and similarly rate the fake packaging of their dupes. I also used to read a site that reviewed boots and I could never understand why the packaging made any difference w/r/t how the boots look or fit. You wear the boots, not the delivery box!

In terms of SF brands, at one point 18 East used to roll up their clothes and put it inside a packing sleeve with zero plastic wrapping and IIRC no paper receipt either. I loved it. That changed for understandable reasons when they moved distribution to a warehouse and now each item is inside individual plastic wrapping. Even though NMWA has more extensive packaging, I really appreciate the personalized notes and the canvas totes are extremely functional for reuse. Moreover, if I buy a couple things and need to return one, I send it back in the tote so that it can be reused for someone else. So much better than plastic, which likely gets ripped at some point in the process and is no longer usable.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's why he wins. For most people, good enough is good enough. It's the same way with his music and art direction.
I've also experienced a stance of "I'll know it when I see it" in creative directions or client be a sign that the creative in charge has a weak vision for a project and design as a process resulting in trouble articulating a way forward. I don't think that's the case for Kanye. Like Steve Jobs was Steve Jobs Kanye is Kanye. What process or behaviours "works" for some superstar isn't going to work for others or most average folk. Nor will they be afforded the same runway or good will by companies or teams without the same $uccess to back them up.

9d3d0fb6f24f49cb5804ced0a8e2c230553140a2-700x467.jpg

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yea I definitely don't mind minimal packaging as long as stuff are not damaged, though got to say at the same time I do prefer retailer add pre-printed return label...

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, to minimal/earth friendly packaging. I do like No Man packaging, the totes are a nice touch. Wife and I use them for shopping....

I took a tour of the Drakes tie factory in London, and the Drakes rep told me about their push to find a decent biodegradable tie sleeves to protect them during shipping. He stated they were having a tough time finding one that provided adequate protection that was also biodegradable. Not sure if they have found one, but I appreciate their efforts

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we're talking about packaging, watch boxes are the stupidest thing ever. A lot of watches come in really nice boxes now that just sit in people's closets. I'd rather just get a watch coffin, a travel case, card holders to hold the warranty cards, and manual.

Watch brands spending money on upgrading the boxes to look more luxurious is a total waste of money to me.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fox Brothers uses fabric scraps to fill up their boxes. Not sure how environmentally sound that is but it gets your attention when you open the box.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads