• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you are saying that a critical material view is somehow inappropriate at this time ? i unreservedly disagree .

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

this isn't a zero-sum thing . a person's life includes family of course and influence yes and also social significance , and sure economic reach and ....

... yes . i also def see room to convo material meaning , and as a means of remembrance yes . afaik Abloh was an artist , architect , ( i'm not sure he used the word tho ) designer , dj etc etc etc . the canary yellow site is the archive i think but there are other sites too and that's part of the work , the guy's body of actual work , his oeuvre , whatever you care to call it .

( i knew the more familiar signposts ( pyrex , off white etc ) but i was happy to come to peruse a broader self-retrospective , ymmv , https://canary---yellow.com )

not sure what to say about how people are reading that medium article , i didn't read that the author had nefarious intention, i rather believe he was attempting to receive art and hazarded an observational critique , as a response to publication . to me that is different than * criticism * in the way that i see it used here , nobody is chipping at anybody it's a more or less peaceful thwack at knowledge . at a guess i very much doubt Abloh would have had a problem with the piece per se .

( as for 'weird and ******' , that's unprovoked blogger-on-blogger crime , and unfortunate to witness )

i see no reason to not include a material view of legacy - to regard the work itself - and afaik who else is offering in this threak ? in truth the exercise doesn't require any value judgement , only regard . nor could it ever trivialize or even cloud any other aspects of a person's life. how , even ?

i'll go ahead and add that i'm not even taking this **** from ' i wasn't a fan but ... ' poasters . **** you idiots .

hey am i being coy ?

183014859_161736079207184_502218886913241032_n.jpeg

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

this isn't a zero-sum thing . a person's life includes family of course and influence yes and also social significance , and sure economic reach and ....

... yes . i also def see room to convo material meaning , and as a means of remembrance yes . afaik Abloh was an artist , architect , ( i'm not sure he used the word tho ) designer , dj etc etc etc . the canary yellow site is the archive i think but there are other sites too and that's part of the work , the guy's body of actual work , his oeuvre , whatever you care to call it .

( i knew the more familiar signposts ( pyrex , off white etc ) but i was happy to come to peruse a broader self-retrospective , ymmv , https://canary---yellow.com )

not sure what to say about how people are reading that medium article , i didn't read that the author had nefarious intention, i rather believe he was attempting to receive art and hazarded an observational critique , as a response to publication . to me that is different than * criticism * in the way that i see it used here , nobody is chipping at anybody it's a more or less peaceful thwack at knowledge . at a guess i very much doubt Abloh would have had a problem with the piece per se .

( as for 'weird and ******' , that's unprovoked blogger-on-blogger crime , and unfortunate to witness )

i see no reason to not include a material view of legacy - to regard the work itself - and afaik who else is offering in this threak ? in truth the exercise doesn't require any value judgement , only regard . nor could it ever trivialize or even cloud any other aspects of a person's life. how , even ?

i'll go ahead and add that i'm not even taking this **** from ' i wasn't a fan but ... ' poasters . **** you idiots .

hey am i being coy ?
This is like someone taught a Russian sock account bot to speak by just feeding it menswear blogs and Jordan Peterson, what in the actual **** am I reading?

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I enjoyed reading this article from Jon Caramanica in the NYT about Virgil

"Look around at the way young men now think about clothes, design and music, and the ways in which those pursuits all intersect: It’s hard not to see Abloh everywhere."

Vanessa Friedman of NYT also wrote an obituary of Virgil.

There is emptiness from losing a unique and interesting mind like Virgil. I feel sad for his wife and young kids.
Perhaps I am being too cynical but it is hard not be when many discussions I see regarding virgils death is half bigging him up and half a kind of giddiness at how much more their ow Jordan collection is and worth overnight.

blacklight

Reaction score
Kanye was impacting men's style before social media

Yeah Slimane isn't even particularly close. Slimane is a god in his own realm but Kanye, Virgil, and friends could quite feasibly be, in some form, in the closets of every fashion-oriented person under 35 in the U.S.

Perhaps I am being too cynical but it is hard not be when many discussions I see regarding virgils death is half bigging him up and half a kind of giddiness at how much more their ow Jordan collection is and worth overnight.

For better or for worse hype as tradable commodity is the core component of his creative legacy. I will be completely honest here and admit I called up my local bookstores to check in on copies of his monograph because they will inevitably be going for rent money in the near future. Prices on StockX doubled overnight and the last copy available on Amazon went for $1000. In a very fucked up way it is the purest homage that "culture" is capable of paying to him.

Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 2.19.18 PM.png

In other news Greg Rosborough of AR recently announced his next thing: Seneca. Very much feels like a more accessible version of the old Abasi Rosborough pieces with a clearer sense of the intended audience. "Our hypothesis is that business casual is dead...The new world is completely hybrid and men want elements from sportswear and athleisure that they can wear anywhere." We'll see. Hopefully he strikes out well this time.

Last edited:

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah Slimane isn't even particularly close. Slimane is a god in his own realm but Kanye, Virgil, and friends could quite feasibly be, in some form, in the closets of every fashion-oriented person under 35 in the U.S.

For better or for worse hype as tradable commodity is the core component of his creative legacy. I will be completely honest here and admit I called up my local bookstores to check in on copies of his monograph because they will inevitably be going for rent money in the near future. Prices on StockX doubled overnight and the last copy available on Amazon went for $1000. In a very fucked up way it is the purest homage that "culture" is capable of paying to him.

View attachment 1712526

In other news Greg Rosborough of AR recently announced his next thing: Seneca. Very much feels like a more accessible version of the old Abasi Rosborough pieces with a clearer sense of the intended audience. "Our hypothesis is that business casual is dead...The new world is completely hybrid and men want elements from sportswear and athleisure that they can wear anywhere." We'll see. Hopefully he strikes out well this time.
I wonder what Abdul is up to next. Cool dude.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads