• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The article itself is a case study in backhanded compliment: "oh look at how crappy that UI is, but kudos to Virgil for referencing some of the worst UI sites ever (DR, Reddit) and let's acknowledge his remixing mastery in doing so, with his really crappy outdated website"

But really, how one reads that "article" is besides the point. The point is, why is that the first thing you're compelled to post? Is that really what you first think about when you read this guy just died after battling cancer for 2 years? It seems like you don't get why people find it tasteless, not just because of the sentiment transpiring from the medium post, but because that's what was chosen to be posted.

And once again, it's OK if you think it's fine behavior, but is it really okay to repeatedly question someone who was offended by it? It's fine not to get it, it's borderline gaslighting to repeatedly tell someone that they really should not feel offended.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Agree other than I wouldn’t call it gaslight sometimes people don’t get it until some aha moment, I gave the benefit of doubt I suppose…

tgaith77

Reaction score
Seriously Greg? Please don't do that...

Apparently, some find it hard to believe that I could ask a question out of genuine curiosity and in an attempt to understand another viewpoint. I simply shared my own viewpoint about what I took away from the article. I certainly didn't tell anyone how they should feel. Some said it was tasteless to share now after he died, but I couldn't see how that was, so I asked. I read the article and didn't understand or interpret the underlying tone of the article as a backhanded compliment. I understand now how it could be interpreted as such. If that's me being naive or somehow willfully ignorant, then I'm sorry. I didn't mean to cause offense, only wanted to know more.

But thanks anyways for telling me now how I should feel and inferring motives. Who's gaslighting who now?

Last edited:

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
while I agree with some of what you said, I dont know if my personal bias clouds my thoughts
Yes streetwear became high fashion, and it opened the door for Kanye West to become an influential figure, but it terms of menswear in the last 15 or so years, I think Thom Browne and Raf Simons (Raf especially with his take on streetwear) should be considered more influential in the menswear sphere than Kanye
the BIGGEST most influential personality in all this may be Hedi Slimane.
Slimanes Work at YSL (first go round) and then Dior far outweighs anything that came after, up to even now.

there are a number of things that took place that made people like Kanye and Virgil incredibly relevant. the rise of Instagram/ Facebook and streetstyle. the fact that they did other things and had/ has the ability to keep their audience engages and interested in what they do, even if the actual content/ product/ project is meh.........
Kanye was impacting men's style before social media

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe I should have reworded it: I didn't think the article itself was awful/ tasteless. I read it twice.

Why was it poor form/ upsetting that the article was shared here after he died?
Ding ding ding...there is a such thing as context. The timing was horrible. Dude had just died and the first thing he posted was an article containing criticism.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’ll admit my perception of why double00 posted that article is influenced by the fact that he does **** like this all the time in the Covid and other CE threads. Rather than ever just owning a ****** opinion, he throws out a link and a coy comment and then feigns surprise when people push back on it.

If you have an against the grain opinion tben at least stand by it rather than doing some variation of the “just asking questions” bit for the hundredth time.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously Greg? Please don't do that...

Apparently, some find it hard to believe that I could ask a question out of genuine curiosity and in an attempt to understand another viewpoint. I simply shared my own viewpoint about what I took away from the article. I certainly didn't tell anyone how they should feel. Some said it was tasteless to share now after he died, but I couldn't see how that was, so I asked. I read the article and didn't understand or interpret the underlying tone of the article as a backhanded compliment. I understand now how it could be interpreted as such. If that's me being naive or somehow willfully ignorant, then I'm sorry. I didn't mean to cause offense, only wanted to know more.

But thanks anyways for telling me now how I should feel and inferring motives. Who's gaslighting who now?

We’re all friends here. You misconstrue my point and post. I’m trying to tell you that repeatedly questioning why someone found something offensive, is not helpful. I’m not inferring any motives when I say that.

you’re of course free to read and interpret both the article and the post throwing it in the discussion the way you want.

jah786

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I enjoyed reading this article from Jon Caramanica in the NYT about Virgil

"Look around at the way young men now think about clothes, design and music, and the ways in which those pursuits all intersect: It’s hard not to see Abloh everywhere."

Vanessa Friedman of NYT also wrote an obituary of Virgil.

There is emptiness from losing a unique and interesting mind like Virgil. I feel sad for his wife and young kids.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I enjoyed reading this article from Jon Caramanica in the NYT about Virgil

"Look around at the way young men now think about clothes, design and music, and the ways in which those pursuits all intersect: It’s hard not to see Abloh everywhere."

Vanessa Friedman of NYT also wrote an obituary of Virgil.

There is emptiness from losing a unique and interesting mind like Virgil. I feel sad for his wife and young kids.

Yup I feel exactly the same way, it's incredibly sad. Great piece about him the the NYT.

styleforumfan

Reaction score
Saks what a joke of a store. Why even bother giving out BF/CM online discount code when pretty much every designer under the sun is excluded? That's 99.9% of the stuff they sell.

saks.jpg

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Saks what a joke of a store. Why even bother giving out BF/CM online discount code when pretty much every designer under the sun is excluded? That's 99.9% of the stuff they sell.

View attachment 1712187

Not gonna lie, I'm enjoying these brand names. Especially POSH PEANUT & GLOBBER SCOOTER.

If Victoria Victoria Beckham and Marc by Marc Jacobs ever produce a child then we're all doomed.

For real though, when you write a purchase order for many brands, they will demand that they be excluded from all blanket discounts. And many of them are conscious of being price-dumped on BF/CM, as they probably should be. So it's the brands themselves that deserve your ire, not Saks.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We’re all friends here. You misconstrue my point and post. I’m trying to tell you that repeatedly questioning why someone found something offensive, is not helpful. I’m not inferring any motives when I say that.

you’re of course free to read and interpret both the article and the post throwing it in the discussion the way you want.
When people say we're all friends I start thinking of this South Park clip.

It just cracks me up.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

this isn't a zero-sum thing . a person's life includes family of course and influence yes and also social significance , and sure economic reach and ....

... yes . i also def see room to convo material meaning , and as a means of remembrance yes . afaik Abloh was an artist , architect , ( i'm not sure he used the word tho ) designer , dj etc etc etc . the canary yellow site is the archive i think but there are other sites too and that's part of the work , the guy's body of actual work , his oeuvre , whatever you care to call it .

( i knew the more familiar signposts ( pyrex , off white etc ) but i was happy to come to peruse a broader self-retrospective , ymmv , https://canary---yellow.com )

not sure what to say about how people are reading that medium article , i didn't read that the author had nefarious intention, i rather believe he was attempting to receive art and hazarded an observational critique , as a response to publication . to me that is different than * criticism * in the way that i see it used here , nobody is chipping at anybody it's a more or less peaceful thwack at knowledge . at a guess i very much doubt Abloh would have had a problem with the piece per se .

( as for 'weird and ******' , that's unprovoked blogger-on-blogger crime , and unfortunate to witness )

i see no reason to not include a material view of legacy - to regard the work itself - and afaik who else is offering in this threak ? in truth the exercise doesn't require any value judgement , only regard . nor could it ever trivialize or even cloud any other aspects of a person's life. how , even ?

i'll go ahead and add that i'm not even taking this **** from ' i wasn't a fan but ... ' poasters . **** you idiots .

hey am i being coy ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads