• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The GAP stock price got a bit of a markdown as well.
FE_8-z0XoAEfX-m.png

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Nordstrom family has a long history of making good decisions so I would bet that this a temporary stumble. I think they do the combination of luxury and mid-tier brands better than just about anyone. Their online platform is very good. With the stock about 1/3- 1/3 of where it often trades, I'm thinking about buying some with the idea that it will take a few quarters to get back it's mojo in the eyes of the market.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The GAP stock price got a bit of a markdown as well.
View attachment 1709501

Gap got hammered when their CEO said "We are air freighting in goods so the shelves will be full". If there is one thing Wall Street doesn't want to hear from a retailer it is anything that indicates decline in margins (in this case the huge cost of air freight).

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wasn't it a few years ago where there were a bunch of business pundits writing articles about how Nordstroms was succeeding despite all its competitors failing?

Of all the department stores I've visited in the short term, I do think that Nordstroms are the least depressing, well run, and most pleasant to visit without feeling ancient like Neiman Marcus. Going to a Macy's in the suburbs feels like stepping into a time capsule.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vollebak closing funding round

A small bit of Lot2046 looks to be on auction as an NFT

Neither of these is surprising news

styleforumfan

Reaction score
Of all the department stores I've visited in the short term, I do think that Nordstroms are the least depressing, well run, and most pleasant to visit without feeling ancient like Neiman Marcus. Going to a Macy's in the suburbs feels like stepping into a time capsule.

Maybe that's the reason why Nordstrom is getting hammered because it costs a lot of money to keep it looking less depressing. Going to B&M everywhere feels like stepping into a time capsule these days when everything can be done comfortably online.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Vollebak closing funding round

A small bit of Lot2046 looks to be on auction as an NFT

Neither of these is surprising news

marketing and interview are both done well, can definitely see them sell to a very “guy” centric market, are there stuff good/unique for real though?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
marketing and interview are both done well, can definitely see them sell to a very “guy” centric market, are there stuff good/unique for real though?
I buy all my underwear there so, yes, very guy-centric for me! They also carry Canali and Hickey Freeman suits so high marks.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vollebak underwear though, there's an idea

Bonus point, the copy still works, maybe, designed for a world of megastorms, when waterproof is not enough... etc etc

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Most of it seems pretty generic and boring, except for the materials / treatments. However there are a couple of pieces I think work because the materials they've chosen produce a certain kind of sculptural effect (like the 'indestructable' denim-type jacket).

09-indestructible-jacket-1378-2-1376x776.jpg

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was thinking about the material part, are they hype or real differentiate performance product or just relabel GoreTx… (even if it’s performance that doesn’t matter)

snow

Reaction score
I was thinking about the material part, are they hype or real differentiate performance product or just relabel GoreTx… (even if it’s performance that doesn’t matter)

It's just marketing, as is all fashion "tech" gear. The built-for-megastorms jacket is just schoeller c-change (which hasn't exactly taken the actual outdoor gear market by storm), for example. The indestructible puffer is dyneema, the whole point of which is to be strong for its weight... and then uses 600 fillpower synthetic insulation, which is worse (i.e. heavier for the warmth) than cheap down you get at uniqlo. Lots of other ridiculous points about it too.

It's not necessarily bad stuff but you are paying a lot of money for marketing and design.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think their special material first approach has benefited the brand in exposure. In today's market getting ignored or lost in the noise is a death sentence. That said, with their founders coming from the ad world their branding and story have always come first. Materials served the story. Not everyone or brand needs to have design and development at their core but I consider that being closely tied to craft and material knowledge of apparel is simply more authentic. And by that I mean better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads