• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Personal anecdote

My Asian friends would upgrade smart phones every 1-2 years.
My non-Asian friends would upgrade smart phones every 3-4 years. I tend to go 4 years between upgrades.

I'm with your Asian friends on this one. I use the iphone upgrade program and I've gotten the new model every year for like the past seven years.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've decided to upgrade to the 13 from a.....5. You read that right, a 5. Not even a 5s. The only button that works is the home button and the screen is shattered but it still works and charges fine. Orig battery, too. Whenever I'm with people they look at my phone in amazement. Some have offered me their old phones. One friend suggested a Kickstarter to buy me a new phone, lol. I'm not a heavy text or phone user in general so it works fine for what I do with it but it's time to get a new phone.
I just upgraded my 7 to a 12. Kept it until it started to fail.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m the only Asian in my Asian friend group who doesn’t give a **** about electronics.

Generational too. My MIL (Taiwanese) buys cars and property more often than she upgrades. Still using an iPhone 6.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I still have 6s as personal phone (I paid myself), 12 pro as work phone (free…) does most of the work anyway I guess…

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I upgraded from an iPhone 7 to a 12 mini. I hate how big smartphones are today. If I can't use it with one hand I'm not interested. I really hope the mini has some staying power.

I do too but my eyes are telling me to get a bigger phone because I can't see sh*t. My fear is I'm going to be that guy with the text size setting set to huge. I'm ready to get a pair of nice looking readers and carry them around with me.

thatboyo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Currently have a 7S and decided to spring for 13Pro. Main reason is battery life not as good. Could’ve probably held out another year I guess since still WFH but I think I’ll probably go back to office early 2022 so it’s either buy the 13 pro later or wait out another year.

Norwester

Reaction score
I am sure that Apple would be pleased to know that they are a topic of discussion in a forum on the fashion industry! I will be finally updating my 5.5 year old SE to a 13 mini. The SE is running great and will even take iOS 15, so kudos to Apple for keeping it going another year (unlike Volvo who stuck my 2017 car with a 3G system that is about to disappear from the airwaves). Despite taking an extra-large glove size I also prefer the smaller phones. Apparently that preference is not widely shared, though, because the word is that the mini version will die off with iPhone 14. Ergo, now is the time to update for the mini-inclined.

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I worked in cell phone sales I upgraded every year. It was kinda hard to convince people they need to upgrade if you’re not doing the same thing. Now that I don’t, I’ve had my 11 Pro Max since it came out. I will be upgrading to the 13 Pro Max however as this one is just running out of storage. I will probably keep the next phone 3 years if I can. I wouldn’t really see a need for new phone if I wasn’t close to maxing out this ones storage.

IJReilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like that for 1-6 there were large improvement since then. Now Im not even sure what model I have (I get mine from work). Whenever I get a new version I fail to see any real improvements, although I thought the face tracking emojis were fun for a while.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads