• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

winston86dit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It astounds me that people will shell out $1200 for a new iPhone every 18 months, but will bargain basement hunt for the bedframe and mattress they sleep on.

Claims have been made that the vast majority of consumers can't afford quality goods - clothing, furniture etc. I have a hard time buying much of it though when people are spending vast amounts quite often on new car leases, new electronics, etc, added with the increasing trend of eating out (pre-covid) which grew by about 25% proportionally in the decade before 2019.

People seem more than willing to spend on outward status signifiers (fashion clothing, cars, iphones, instagramable dining), while cheaping out on the things that stay more private (appliances, furniture, cooking a decent meal at home).

100% agree here. I would also add that leasing models seem to be more of the norm for things such as car leases and iphone purchases and even though something like Affirm exists for clothing/furniture purchases, it hasn't become as normalized as the others. I would imagine that is changing however.

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It astounds me that people will shell out $1200 for a new iPhone every 18 months, but will bargain basement hunt for the bedframe and mattress they sleep on.

Claims have been made that the vast majority of consumers can't afford quality goods - clothing, furniture etc. I have a hard time buying much of it though when people are spending vast amounts quite often on new car leases, new electronics, etc, added with the increasing trend of eating out (pre-covid) which grew by about 25% proportionally in the decade before 2019.

People seem more than willing to spend on outward status signifiers (fashion clothing, cars, iphones, instagramable dining), while cheaping out on the things that stay more private (appliances, furniture, cooking a decent meal at home).
It's because we are constantly reminded, with concrete numbers, that the next phone will out perform our current phone, and is in fact the "best phone they have ever made,"....and what they say is mostly true. Meanwhile the advertising around everything else is pretty much that functionality and design has peaked, and the price for the best is a race to the bottom by cutting out the middlemen.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Relative price for a lot of those electronics has really plummeted though. Not saying new iphones every year aren't expensive from a levels perspective, but TVs, computers, etc are shockingly cheap from a relative perspective.
View attachment 1673347

And yeah in some ways it's discordant to spend a lot in one area but not another, but also: spending little in one area is in some ways precisely how someone paying >40% of income toward rent with college debt can afford to engage in other, costlier aspects of social life.

True that relative pricing on tech has generally fallen. However, rate of acquisition and replacement and number of devices has increased.

And while there is some truth to the argument that people on limited incomes need certain things to engage in society (car to get around, phone to access internet services), that does not mean those goods need to be replaced with feverish regularity to maintain those functions, nor is choosing the most socially prestigious variant necessary.

Every time someone buys an Apple anything, they are paying $ to upgrade purely for social signal (ease of use argument is trite in the extreme for those born in 85' or after).

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even from pure utility perspective most people would get a lot more out of their smart phone than spend $1k on suit though

Ah but they would derive more long-term utility if they kept their smartphone for 4 years and plowed those dollars into a quality mattress and bedframe.

When they are 60, the thumb carpal tunnel and bad back will not be kind.

jaaz16

Reaction score
True that relative pricing on tech has generally fallen. However, rate of acquisition and replacement and number of devices has increased.

And while there is some truth to the argument that people on limited incomes need certain things to engage in society (car to get around, phone to access internet services), that does not mean those goods need to be replaced with feverish regularity to maintain those functions, nor is choosing the most socially prestigious variant necessary.

Every time someone buys an Apple anything, they are paying $ to upgrade purely for social signal (ease of use argument is trite in the extreme for those born in 85' or after).

Yeah, fair. I also don't understand people who do an annual/18 month iPhone upgrade. I don't even understand the "lease" system they introduced that a friend tried to sell me on, where you pay less but then...have to give the phone back after a year. I upgrade every few models and even that seems excessive at times.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ah but they would derive more long-term utility if they kept their smartphone for 4 years and plowed those dollars into a quality mattress and bedframe.

When they are 60, the thumb carpal tunnel and bad back will not be kind.

how many people annual upgrade iPhone? I would think most update every 3 to 4 years?

Mariokartfever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how many people annual upgrade iPhone? I would think most update every 3 to 4 years?

When i was younger I upgraded every year

Not sure if it was because I was dumber or because the upgrades felt "bigger" back in the early 2010s

Just can't bothered anymore. Need that $$$ to buy my annual inis mean tunics in slightly different shades or amber/ochre/rust/cayenne.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Office Depot (who I'm not sure I trust as a source but who knows), says three years. But peripherals much more often:
1632334115861.png

Larger survey on GSMarena - so enthusiasts - point to more often. But enthusiasts are (like SF members) crazy.
1632334004372.png

Light reading seems to indicate that replacement time is going up in general. So 3 years is maybe about accurate now and increasing, but used to be more often.

Anecdotally, I feel like I know a lot of people who replace them yearly or 18 months.

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've decided to upgrade to the 13 from a.....5. You read that right, a 5. Not even a 5s. The only button that works is the home button and the screen is shattered but it still works and charges fine. Orig battery, too. Whenever I'm with people they look at my phone in amazement. Some have offered me their old phones. One friend suggested a Kickstarter to buy me a new phone, lol. I'm not a heavy text or phone user in general so it works fine for what I do with it but it's time to get a new phone.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personal anecdote

My Asian friends would upgrade smart phones every 1-2 years.
My non-Asian friends would upgrade smart phones every 3-4 years. I tend to go 4 years between upgrades.

winston86dit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, fair. I also don't understand people who do an annual/18 month iPhone upgrade. I don't even understand the "lease" system they introduced that a friend tried to sell me on, where you pay less but then...have to give the phone back after a year. I upgrade every few models and even that seems excessive at times.
I'm the same exact way. Anything more frequent seems really wasteful.

Yea, I know there have been a few articles about this and back in 2018, the average US customer was keeping their phone for 24 months.

I really thought this meme summed up the yearly release of iphones...
Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 11.12.22 AM.png

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personal anecdote

My non-Asian friends would upgrade smart phones every 3-4 years. I tend to go 4 years between upgrades.
This is weirdly true even in the tech industry where you'd think people care a lot more. I used to be a two year cycle guy but phones got so good even outdated ones will run pretty much every app smoothly and take decent photos. I used to see white software guys walk around with cracked screen iphone 4s until like a couple of years ago, which is insane to me.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personal anecdote

Maybe I think its more common cause I mostly work w/ Asians.

Oddly, the company pays for my phone and I can upgrade basically at will (12-18 months if I wanted to), but I still don't run out to get them as soon as I can. I recently got a Note 20 Ultra, replacing the Note 9 that I had for 3 years.

3 years is pretty often, but I think its restrained considering it costs me nothing.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1 year to 18 month just seem to short for gen pop, 3 years sounds right. I get free phone too but I’m just couldn’t be bothered to replace i guess…

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads