• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The focus here is on womenswear, but I assume the menswear aesthetic will follow along.

The collection, which hit stores Wednesday, features an extended assortment of cashmere pieces, including classic styles as well as new ribbed offerings, a line of puffer jackets in various colours and prints and plenty of outerwear in the signature tailored style for which J.Crew is known. It’s not a departure from what consumers could find in stores earlier this year or ones before, but Gayot’s inaugural looks come with extra oomph: little details like a surprising lining inside a jacket or extra ruffles on a poplin collar. Her vision also nods to streetwear: loose, cropped trousers and preppy jackets layered over sweats. Everything is designed with a comfort-first mindset, suitable for lounging and for in-person meetings, too.

This stylish-yet-not-too-edgy stance seems to signal that the retailer is trying to recapture some of the moxie that garnered J.Crew its popularity in the late 2000s under CEO Mickey Drexler and creative director Jenna Lyons, but without losing sight of the loyal customers who buy Tippi sweaters and the Cece flats again and again. The latter, observers say, was where Drexler and Lyons failed toward the end of their tenure when sales began to slip.

[...]

It’s been two tumultuous years for J.Crew, also on the heels of a decade defined by stagnant sales. Gayot’s fall collection will be a testament to the vision under this new team of managers. (Wadle tapped streetwear luminary Brendon Babenzien, co-founder of the streetwear brand Noah, to be the head of J.Crew menswear in May. His vision for menswear won’t be revealed until fall 2022, the company said.)

Campaign photos are very modern and not very prep/ Americana

SC3LEEIEPZGH7AHTU4CBYNVBQQ.jpeg
H7OFLF3ZANGK3DZYJCOBREZNBM.jpeg
QNL7LNNRMVGJ5DPI53QWBX2JMY.jpeg
V4ZLSYW6JFBCJBD5WRYMZ2JICA.jpeg
2EJI437K3JFRVM6G3XI4QSMBWA.jpeg

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
She told me that, after she accepted that this is all absurd, it was easier to just revel in the purity of that feeling. Like, yes it's all stupid, but the feeling is meaningful.
Sidebar: have you listened to her Nice Try! podcast?
Had a similar feeling when I listened to that one at the end of it. I love her storytelling but damn does she give you an existential crisis.
I don't think there's any way to compare Cucinelli or Loro Piana to other brands. Not because they're actually superlative in terms of quality or design (the items are often machine-made, and the designs basic). But because they've branded themselves.
Not even close to being able to afford something like BC/LP but I think this sums up the appeal. These brand stories have been around for a while, especially LP. My dad is 70 and if you ask him “hey what’s the best clothing you’ve ever owned,” he will go “ah Loro Piana! Best there is,” despite the fact that he’s owned much bespoke clothing over the years that was arguably better made. Both brands are unattainable for me right now and I currently find them boring. If I had the money to, that might change because by then I’d be boring.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is absolutely nothing boring about Cucinelli if you appreciate texture

RZkVHC2.jpg

mUznHEy.jpg

7cD85JJ.jpg

AadbSUQ.jpg

KgfUqUz.jpg

vSHgzkF.jpg

tXF5v7A.jpg

OQjCSnr.jpg

QC8NxV7.jpg

XRlLCQD.jpg

BEucI1q.jpg

Hb3FCrn.jpg

hPV7jok.jpg

5SfKZcw.jpg

dWjBKjH.jpg

pDpW61R.jpg

xh3WHYP.jpg

tiPTGvo.jpg

x7Hdr0D.jpg

vanmosh

Reaction score

The focus here is on womenswear, but I assume the menswear aesthetic will follow along.

Campaign photos are very modern and not very prep/ Americana

View attachment 1666223 View attachment 1666222 View attachment 1666224 View attachment 1666225 View attachment 1666226

I've always been curious as to why Jenna Lyons didn't try and start her own label like Todd Snyder post J.Crew.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sidebar: have you listened to her Nice Try! podcast?
Had a similar feeling when I listened to that one at the end of it. I love her storytelling but damn does she give you an existential crisis.

Yea, that's a great series. Another season of Nice, Try is coming out next month, I think.

tgaith77

Reaction score
I've always been curious as to why Jenna Lyons didn't try and start her own label like Todd Snyder post J.Crew.

Personally, I wish Frank Muytjens would do his own label. He's always been a stylish dude with good taste. Menswear/ workwear is a pretty crowded space, but I thought he had enough of his own perspective to do something interesting.

His current life as inn owner looks pretty amazing too.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

mUznHEy.jpg

7cD85JJ.jpg
These super high contrasty Eyetalian fabrics can be reliably found in Cacciopoli,etc books:

AadbSUQ.jpg

KgfUqUz.jpg

vSHgzkF.jpg

This is a brown tweed with a soft handle - this isn't exactly an electric car with a 1000 mile range here

tXF5v7A.jpg

OQjCSnr.jpg

I'll keep my donegals Irish, thank you

QC8NxV7.jpg

XRlLCQD.jpg

BEucI1q.jpg

Hb3FCrn.jpg

hPV7jok.jpg

5SfKZcw.jpg

dWjBKjH.jpg

pDpW61R.jpg

Magee has a bunch of suiting donegals, albeit not in this shade. If you actually want MORE texture

has you covered.

xh3WHYP.jpg

tiPTGvo.jpg

x7Hdr0D.jpg

Factory attached elbow patches are corny. But a bunch of these fabrics are not winning the argument - those contrasty spring-summer things with the white streaks are pretty run of the mill.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
QtI4yvb.gif

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Give me 25 years and $250k more a year and then maybe I’ll agree with you. At the moment this all looks like stuff my elderly father would wear.
Yea, that's a great series. Another season of Nice, Try is coming out next month, I think.
I can’t wait. Avery is a really cool person

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads