• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yea, they exist, but it's difficult at that kind of scale

edit: also not clear to me what ethic standard are we talking about since I never follow/knew the other guy, I don't recall JCrew being particular bad or good vs. other mainstream (say vs. RL), but I guess here we're talking about another level up (or several level up)?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got this from Matches Fashion today in an email:

"Your Curated Reward: An exclusive live discussion with icons of music and art

As a valued member of The Curator loyalty programme, we are delighted to send you your next Curated Reward:

We would like to invite you to an exclusive live discussion with Disc Jockey Norman Cook (better known as Fatboy Slim), tattoo artist Grace Neutral, and artists Nettie Wakefield and Patrick Morales-Lee to celebrate the Pressing Matters online auction.

Curated by Pavement Licker, a corresponding auction of rare vinyl reworked by contemporary artists will see proceeds go to charity Music Support.

Sign up now to hear the panelists discuss the art of collaboration and how music influences their work."

Is it just me, or is this nearly completely uninteresting? I'm uninterested in the artists, and there is zero tie in with products. I mean, give me a discount code any day. Or an exclusive product. I'm not going to Matches fashion to watch a Zoom meeting.

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do organizations exist that can be contracted to do that kind of auditing for a corporation?
Yes, there's a whole industry that audits CSR practices. Patagonia is an excellent example of a midsize apparel brand that is focused on sustainable products and sourcing. But J. Crew likely has bigger issues right now than rebranding as a socially responsible company.

StrangeJeremy

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yea, they exist, but it's difficult at that kind of scale

edit: also not clear to me what ethic standard are we talking about since I never follow/knew the other guy, I don't recall JCrew being particular bad or good vs. other mainstream (say vs. RL), but I guess here we're talking about another level up (or several level up)?
The point is less about J Crew - they are your usual run-of-the-mill mainstream brand hopping from low cost to lower cost and chasing down price points. I don't think they're worse than others, and there is no particular scandal to point to.

The point is about Babenzien and everything he has been standing for, at the helm of Noah, for the last 6-7 years. He is against mainstream garment manufacturing, making stuff in areas that don't have strong labor protection laws, environmental regulations, etc... He built Noah's ethos on these pillars. He and his wife have written various manifestos about it and always speak u[p in interviews.

So the point I raised is "how do you reconcile all those values you've been pushing for years" with the manufacturing strategy at J Crew? And does his appointment mean a shift towards those values?

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And does his appointment mean a shift towards those values?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that he will likely push for it, and any plans for substantial changes will die at the BOD level.

StrangeJeremy

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
So the point I raised is "how do you reconcile all those values you've been pushing for years" with the manufacturing strategy at J Crew? And does his appointment mean a shift towards those values?

Right now, everything we can throw out there is pure speculation. This could be the opportunity for J.Crew to really stake out a leadership position in triple-bottom-line business but it will cost them on the $ bottom line.

I don't know what their financial stakeholders want for the company, and that'll have the biggest impact on what happens next.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got this from Matches Fashion today in an email:

"Your Curated Reward: An exclusive live discussion with icons of music and art

As a valued member of The Curator loyalty programme, we are delighted to send you your next Curated Reward:

We would like to invite you to an exclusive live discussion with Disc Jockey Norman Cook (better known as Fatboy Slim), tattoo artist Grace Neutral, and artists Nettie Wakefield and Patrick Morales-Lee to celebrate the Pressing Matters online auction.

Curated by Pavement Licker, a corresponding auction of rare vinyl reworked by contemporary artists will see proceeds go to charity Music Support.

Sign up now to hear the panelists discuss the art of collaboration and how music influences their work."

Is it just me, or is this nearly completely uninteresting? I'm uninterested in the artists, and there is zero tie in with products. I mean, give me a discount code any day. Or an exclusive product. I'm not going to Matches fashion to watch a Zoom meeting.

nearly but for *auction of rare vinyl reworked by contemporary artists*

i'm sorta not really sure what that even means ! but my interest is piqued by that sentence ngl

tho i agree, it's try-hard marketing i guess

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The point is less about J Crew - they are your usual run-of-the-mill mainstream brand hopping from low cost to lower cost and chasing down price points. I don't think they're worse than others, and there is no particular scandal to point to.

The point is about Babenzien and everything he has been standing for, at the helm of Noah, for the last 6-7 years. He is against mainstream garment manufacturing, making stuff in areas that don't have strong labor protection laws, environmental regulations, etc... He built Noah's ethos on these pillars. He and his wife have written various manifestos about it and always speak u[p in interviews.

got it, I guess at J Crew's scale just nearly impossible (who is the most "responsible" at that scale Patagonia, but they're still smaller) , maybe something a step up from W&B? Though in any case probably mean I should get some more basic from W&B before px goes up...

sid11111

Reaction score

Don’t you think that expectations and ideas were discussed before he was hired? That JCrew gave him at least an idea of what he could push through within the company?
I'm going to go out on a cynical limb and say COVID hit his revenues pretty bad and he's taking this on for the money.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J-crew has to make some sort of change on the men's side for sure. Been walking dead and just out of trouble. The streetwear adjacent angle might be what they're aiming for and taking on social responsibility as part of the package for rebrand. Time will tell. They need new people in their doors or get people to take a second(fourth) look. Hardest thing is getting "good" attention for a brand. We're talking. So far it the idea is working...

Mariokartfever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So the point I raised is "how do you reconcile all those values you've been pushing for years" with the manufacturing strategy at J Crew?

I know one way

pkir01Z.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads