• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm from lake lake wobegon....

If anyone is seriously interested in sustainability and companies taking it up take a look at the HIGG index.

I disagree with their approach when I engaged with them for some economic/ theoretical reasons as it squeezed out smaller firms who may need the most help and info...

Last edited:

BlakeRVA

Reaction score
Perhaps. If you ignore all the other things I said ("perhaps you all know more than me"; "this thread tends to attract intelligent and informed ppl" etc.).

But in any case, why assume I'm talking about you? I specifically made it clear that I'm wondering about the average SFer. Are you the average SFer?
Fwiw, your tone seems defensive and condescending. Why wouldn't the average user be aware of the environmental implications for apparel production? This is a forum for clothing enthusiasts who nerd out on all the details...

VinceCompost

Reaction score
Fwiw, your tone seems defensive and condescending. Why wouldn't the average user be aware of the environmental implications for apparel production? This is a forum for clothing enthusiasts who nerd out on all the details...

There's no reason why the average user wouldn't be aware. But again, I have seen little evidence of this. Hence why I asked.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yea, there is no reason why the average people wouldn't be aware 2+2=4. But again, I have seen little evidence of this. Hence why I asked...

p.s. and to be frank it's more like there is zero evidence, what's last time someone post how they perform 2+2=4 here? Though I might have seen people doing some calculation such as 85% off on $1,300 = $195...

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, Cloris Leachman died so everyone just shut up.

1611788792353.png

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyway, to return to the question, do any of you pay the slightest bit of attention to sustainability when you buy clothes or not?
The slightest bit? YES
A lot? Nah

I'm more invested in giving my money to makers and entrepreneurs I want to see succeed, than try to measure the carbon footprint of every purchase. Now that I know that I have to use my cotton bag 1,000,0000,00,00 times to carry groceries in order to have a smaller environmental impact than using disposable plastic bags, I find it hard to keep up with that stuff.

I agree with @dieworkwear that focusing on getting more use out of each purchase and/or cycling things in and out of the secondhand market are the best possible approach as a consumer. And they're not complicated to keep in mind

VinceCompost

Reaction score
I see your point Clee, but 2+2+4 has little specific relevance to clothing.

Matters of sustainability, however, I might expect to come up often if people were concerned by them. But thread after thread discusses every imaginable aspect of luxury items, yet rarely does anyone ask how they were made etc.

VinceCompost

Reaction score
The slightest bit? YES
A lot? Nah

I'm more invested in giving my money to makers and entrepreneurs I want to see succeed, than try to measure the carbon footprint of every purchase. Now that I know that I have to use my cotton bag 1,000,0000,00,00 times to carry groceries in order to have a smaller environmental impact than using disposable plastic bags, I find it hard to keep up with that stuff.

I agree with @dieworkwear that focusing on getting more use out of each purchase and/or cycling things in and out of the secondhand market are the best possible approach as a consumer. And they're not complicated to keep in mind

Thank you for your reply. This is the kind of answer I was hoping for. I'm sorry others find my tone insufferable.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
38BDB6F0-0B9F-45FD-9DA5-DBC394C3FA82.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics