• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

VinceCompost

Reaction score
This sounds ... maybe a bit rude? I think people on this forum are very well aware of these issues.

Probably. It wouldn't be the first time.

But if I ask, it's because I see little sign of that awareness.

Perhaps I've asked this question in the wrong thread (but it is, after all, where the topic came up), as most who post in here are intelligent and well-informed. Just because you know about these issues doesn't mean others do. Are the people who post in this thread average SFers?

In any case - rude or otherwise - I asked because I don't know the answer. This topic might have been discussed to death. But in years of lurking I've not noticed it.

But nor was I particularly looking for it, so who knows.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Probably. It wouldn't be the first time.

Perhaps I've asked this question in the wrong thread (but it is, after all, where the topic came up), as most who post in here are intelligent and well-informed. Just because you know about these issues doesn't mean others do. Are the people who post in this thread average SFers?

In any case - rude or otherwise - I asked because I don't know the answer. This topic might have been discussed to death. But in years of lurking I've not noticed it.

But nor was I particularly looking for it, so who knows.

These issues have been discussed here before (also, you are not the only person who reads Vox dot com).

The amount of water that goes into cotton, the dyes in waterways, the microplastics, etc. I interviewed someone at a well-known brand about the third issue a few years ago. I was in the middle of writing an article about it for a site before I was beaten to the punch by Vox, which was later tweeted out by Kanye. I've also written about the dyes in China. NYT has written much on the dye issue. Before them, this was a common theme in raw denim circles back in 2008 or so, as people talked about the environmental effect of denim production.

Anyway, to return to the question, do any of you pay the slightest bit of attention to sustainability when you buy clothes or not?

Again, I think the most sustainable thing is to buy stuff you love and will use, and other people will love and use on the second-hand market. I find a lot of green stuff to be marketing. I think sustainability is more of a consumer problem.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyway, to return to the question, do any of you pay the slightest bit of attention to sustainability when you buy clothes or not?
Only from the natural vs synthetic viewpoint even although that's been proven to be scientifically incorrect. I like to assume that natural fibers are less harmful but that doesn't seem to be the case.

VinceCompost

Reaction score
These issues have been discussed here before (also, you are not the only person who reads Vox dot com).

The amount of water that goes into cotton, the dyes in waterways, the microplastics, etc. I interviewed someone at a well-known brand about the third issue a few years ago. I was in the middle of writing an article about it for a site before I was beaten to the punch by Vox, which was later tweeted out by Kanye. I've also written about the dyes in China. NYT has written much on the dye issue. Before them, this was a common theme in raw denim circles back in 2008 or so, as people talked about the environmental effect of denim production.

Again, I think the most sustainable thing is to buy stuff you love and will use, and other people will love and use on the second-hand market. I find a lot of green stuff to be marketing. I think sustainability is more of a consumer problem.

Of course, this information is very widely publicized. It's impossible that ppl on SF could have missed it entirely. But being aware that there's a problem, and being informed about it as a consumer are two different things. Just because it's all over respected publications doesn't mean SFers read it or care.

I agree that a lot of the info coming directly from brands is marketing nonsense though.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The solutions to this stuff always ends up being the same prescriptions:

- Don't buy
- Buy second-hand
- Buy high-quality items that will last and can be reused in the second-hand market.

That's it.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Of course, this information is very widely publicized. It's impossible that ppl on SF could have missed it entirely. But being aware that there's a problem, and being informed about it as a consumer are two different things. Just because it's all over respected publications doesn't mean SFers read it or care.

I agree that a lot of the info coming directly from brands is marketing nonsense though.

I think you're underestimating people on here. People have read the same things as you, and they care. The prescriptions for this stuff often fall back on the same ideas, as outlined above.

VinceCompost

Reaction score
Only from the natural vs synthetic viewpoint even although that's been proven to be scientifically incorrect. I like to assume that natural fibers are less harmful but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Yeah, it's a bit of a mess. There are so many variables. I have the same prejudice re. synthetics, but as you say, it's not always the case that natural fibers are better. Aside from anythign else, it's hard to see how an accurate comparison of environmental damage can be made between entirely different manufacturing processes (wool, say, vs polyester). I'm sure it can be done, but it's not info we can easily access as consumers.

Last edited:

VinceCompost

Reaction score
The solutions to this stuff always ends up being the same prescriptions:

- Don't buy
- Buy second-hand
- Buy high-quality items that will last and can be reused in the second-hand market.

That's it.

Really? You don't think that it would be better if every single brand discussed on these forums moved over to less damaging methods of production? I understand the argument you're making, and don't entirely disagree with it. And as I said, there so much BS in the sustainability arena that it can be hard to make sense of all the claims. But there's an enormous difference between the methods used by a brand like Story Mfg. and your average luxury brand. Just how scaleable Story's processes are is another matter, but sooner or later something has to change at all levels of the industry.

VinceCompost

Reaction score
I think you're underestimating people on here. People have read the same things as you, and they care. The prescriptions for this stuff often fall back on the same ideas, as outlined above.

You seem keen to misinterpret everything I have to say in a negative manner. If you're not interested in a discussion I'm quite happy to take your advice and go elsewhere.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You seem keen to misinterpret everything I have to say in a negative manner. If you're not interested in a discussion I'm quite happy to take your advice and go elsewhere.
Digital comms are hard. No body language, no facial expressions, no "have another beer and let's discuss..."

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Perhaps this has been discussed extensively elsewhere on here*,

*But if it hasn't, that kind of proves my point.

Indeed, how many of you are even aware of issues such as the damage caused by microplastics, chemical dyes, water consumption in cotton farming - to name but a few of the problems caused by the apparel industry?

do any of you pay the slightest bit of attention to sustainability when you buy clothes or not?

Sorry, it's hard not to read a certain tone in your writing!

VinceCompost

Reaction score
Sorry, it's hard not to read a certain tone in your writing!

Perhaps. If you ignore all the other things I said ("perhaps you all know more than me"; "this thread tends to attract intelligent and informed ppl" etc.).

But in any case, why assume I'm talking about you? I specifically made it clear that I'm wondering about the average SFer. Are you the average SFer?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. But when one is aware of this fact the logical thing might be to not assume the worst. I'm guessing DWW is basing his judgment on past form though.
Okay, but I'll agree with Derek and you have come across as more than bit strident and judgmental. Like I said comms are hard

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads