• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

?

The only thing I will say is that the quality I’ve seen and personally experienced from most American production just isn’t that good. We had a meeting with the person who was running sales and collaborations for all of Brooks’ made in US factories and the costing was ludicrous for the capability of make.

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
as much as it is a satire, how many are truly "sad enough" to open the wallet, given the over supply in general, I think it's a super minority...

As of right now other than dress shoes I struggle to see which CM stuff (say a tailoring brand I) would be willing to "prop up"...

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ can @dieworkwear use these quotes for the follow-up article?

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
as much as it is a satire, how many are truly "sad enough" to open the wallet, given the over supply in general, I think it's a super minority...

As of right now other than dress shoes I struggle to see which CM stuff (say a tailoring brand I) would be willing to "prop up"...

And you wonder why they’re all dying. People who like “classic, American clothing“ have no interest in paying for it.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ can @dieworkwear use these quotes for the follow-up article?

And you wonder why they’re all dying. People who like “classic, American clothing“ have no interest in paying for it.

I don't wonder, I'm pretty sure a lot of them will die, and while I don't like it, I don't really feel sad enough to say yup going to pay msrp on something I don't truly love enough.

jalebi

Reaction score

I can see your point. It's a very competitive market right now, and unless a large majority of shops stop discounting simultaneously it becomes rarer for customers to patronise shops that don't. Oversupply and underdemand of high quality CM makes it a buyer's market.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lots of shops and brands will stop discounting because they will simply go out of business.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The secondary sales market, including consignments, seems to have boomed over the last few years. At least, it seems that way to me only having paid attention to it the last few years.

This has to have adversely impacted primary retail sales since that is the experience in many other markets (cars, heavy machinery, etc.). Whenever there is a glut on good product on the secondary market, it drags new product sales prices and volumes down.

Up until I few years ago, I never participated in the secondary clothing market (unless you count donations). Now, I buy and consign with @SpooPoker and have sold quite a few things on SF Buy and Sell.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of shops and brands will stop discounting because they will simply go out of business.
But then they're being replaced by fugazi DTC companies making generic crap in Bangladesh, which - with the aid of wonderful subway marketing and diagrams (and cushy VC money) - they can sell at 10x and discount it all year long with a sophisticated coupon calendar.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

If that means lots go away, so supply get chopped and reminder and new player has better price discipline then it might be the healthy new normal people are looking for

Mariokartfever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there an equation for the "hard cost" of not selling a piece of clothing? Obviously you have the cost that went into producing it, and the cost of acquiring it if you're a third party seller. But what are the hard costs of keeping it in stock? Is it just the space costs of storage?

Or is it that those funds need to be freed up for next season's buy - so selling it at a discount becomes a necessity?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
But then they're being replaced by fugazi DTC companies making generic crap in Bangladesh, which - with the aid of wonderful subway marketing and diagrams (and cushy VC money) - they can sell at 10x and discount it all year long with a sophisticated coupon calendar.

yea, but those are the commodity part of the market, and commodity is, well commodity...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads