• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree in gest, but I'm not sure if it would be able to afford such "cheap" made in America had it not gotten the scale?

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like the authors take, and agree with it. It would have been interesting to see an American brand like BB go more upscale with their offerings instead of diluting themselves. I do wonder though, if there would have been a market for it? I would like to think that an American brand could have created some level of prestige on par with European tailoring brands.

IJReilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would definitely welcome a classic, high end American tailoring line. Brooks Brothers was always a cool brand to me. Loved the store in Milan a decade ago. Was disappointed when I visited a location in NYC five years ago. Not sure why, just remember it being unremarkable.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What’s good about Golden Fleec, aesthetic wise, remember when I first looked at BBGF, suit were either Madison or Fitzgerald? Understanding if I like Paul Stuart I’m probably more flamboyant, but even top of menswear era I struggle to buy BBGF (though I’m not the audience for sure), tailoring wise (can see buying briefcase/shoes for example).

I mean I can see buying things from Paul Stuart, RLPL, or even Oxxford (but that would be a struggle as a value proposition, though if I ignore price I did see something I like). but perhaps other than knits and overcoat (never in my size unfortunately), struggle to buy anything from BBGF

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What’s good about Golden Fleec, aesthetic wise, remember when I first looked at BBGF, suit were either Madison or Fitzgerald? Understanding if I like Paul Stuart I’m probably more flamboyant, but even top of menswear era I struggle to buy BBGF (though I’m not the audience for sure), tailoring wise (can see buying briefcase/shoes for example).

I mean I can see buying things from Paul Stuart, RLPL, or even Oxxford (but that would be a struggle as a value proposition, though if I ignore price I did see something I like). but perhaps other than knits and overcoat (never in my size unfortunately), struggle to buy anything from BBGF
I have one GF left, a really nice mid-gray staple suit in the Fitzgerald fit. Trouble is their retail price point is higher than Canali and around Zegna's. I found the Golden Fleece to be nice but not Canali-nice and not even close to Zegna -nice. I do like their overcoats, though.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yea, I wish the overcoat were my size, but really struggle to buy the suit from BBGF

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If people want high end American tailoring, you can find it at Oxxford Clothes.

Edit: Also Hickey Freeman had or still has a nice hand tailored line.
I always thought Hickey Freeman was way better than Brooks Brothers. Oxxford at retail is out of range for most folks but HF is a great deal.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oxxford was fairly popular on SF about a dozen or so years ago. Stuff is pretty conservative, but very well made.
Yeah, I really like them although I have to regularly size down. I’m a 42L normally but my best-fitting Oxxford suit is a 40L. Some of their cuts are full to say the least.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that retail created and fed the beast (i.e., the consumer). However, just because something is a beast, doesn't mean it has to stay that way.

I've long adjusted to what I call "conscious capitalism" (I'm sure I stumbled across the term elsewhere). Without it, I fear I won't be able to shop where I want to shop 5, 10 years from now. I've recently expanded it to more black-owned businesses as well, to the extent possible.

I do not yet care that much about the environmental stuff (I mean, it is critical, I just don't really believe a lot of brands that tout their sustainability), but I do think that it is important to think about where your money is going. I've mentioned this before, but I do not use Amazon for this exact reason (my last purchase is early 2000s).

currently hunting down a copy of

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sad to see Totokaelo shutter, what an absolute catastrophe this year has been for multi-brand retail. Honestly though, as much as I visit these stores when I’m in town I don’t know the last time I bought something from Toto, and even browsing their current sale at up to 80% I’m just not interested. Probably more just my style drifting to more casual brands, less Fashion. Two years ago I’d have bought several dries shirts at 30%+ off but now I’m not. Very interested in @bry2000’s point about prestigious brands losing their distribution in the US, I wonder if/how they will cope with that moving forward.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads