• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

blacklight

Reaction score
Mr Porter carries Dries, but they are an on-line store. I was writing about NYC stockists. I prefer shopping in-store in general and particularly for designers.

In the last few months, NYC has lost most of its Dries stockists — Barneys (large and deep buy), Jeffrey, Toto, OC (always a great buy) and going back a few more months The Loit (if I include a former store on the other side of the bridge).

But it is not just Dries. It is Haider, Sacai, Kiko, Yohji et al. that have now lost a lot of their USA distribution. I point out Dries because they have geographic sales restrictions in addition to a diminished USA distribution.

Bird Brooklyn carries a small selection of Dries as well, though I think their stock is mainly women's. Never shopped there personally, but I'm sure they could use the patronage. Going off their aesthetic and target customer I think it's almost certain DSMNY/LA becomes go-to outlet for most of those you mentioned.

Re: the Totokaelo news, all this is especially frustrating considering what has come to light regarding the distribution of PPP loans, but this isn't the place. The number of going out of business and for rent signs I'm seeing hanging in storefronts in Brooklyn is absolutely staggering.

IJReilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve noticed a few cases where a medium has been longer than a large etc. I’ve stopped looking at measurements for this reason.

IJReilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would love if the industry moved to an end of season sale only, at an appropriate date. Would stop feeling like a sucker for buying something at full price. I understand it’s a rational form of price discrimination, but it’s no way to treat a good, supportive customer.

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't know that Need and Toto were the same company. I'm not super surprised about Toto closing. I believe they moved their store three times and their foot print has always been massive. The rent must've been insane.

I don't know how any of the independent, multi-brand stores afford rent in SoHo or Madison/Fifth. Probably DSM will survive, but I wouldn't be surprised if the only physical stores left are single brand boutiques that mostly serve as marketing vehicles.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tremendous loss, particularly Totokaelo since I shop at one of the physical stores and got to know several members of the staff well over the last few years.

Toto was an incredible to place to shop. The top options in NYC are dwindling quickly. Time to get a new hobby.
I know the feeling. I’m starting to pull back on vendor email lists and affiliate threads here. Seeing new stuff is cool but I keep getting tempted to buy things I don’t need and will not have occasion to wear anytime soon.

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Brooks officially filed for bankruptcy. Apparently, RL tried to buy them back when Marks and Spencer did. Would love to see an RL designed Brooks.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
RL has enough dry powder? They got to be partner with someone else else financially I assume. Not sure how would RL tweak BB though? Maybe a downsized BB can go truly niche and go hardcore old timer...

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Brooks officially filed for bankruptcy. Apparently, RL tried to buy them back when Marks and Spencer did. Would love to see an RL designed Brooks.
Wouldn’t you end up with Polo RL at the end of the day? Maybe Polo RL of the late 90s to mid 2000s?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have only seen 90s RL from advertisement, but I would have thought it's more hum, "Gordon Gekko" :p

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, if we are going to be moving to an on-line only sales world, on-line shops should absolutely post measurements for every single item they list. And by measurements, I mean accurate ones. If they don't, I don't want to hear any complaints about return rates.

This is my biggest/only pet peeve with SSENSE.

Every single time I decide to look at an item's measurements, I end up frustrated and/or incredulous. Pants, t-shirts, sweaters, you name it ... they'll have their jeans styled on a model who appears to be wearing his normal size, then I'll look at the measurements and it will say a size 50/34 (my size) has an 18.75 inch waist (which is too big for a standard 50/34 waist) and yet the model, who is noted as having a twenty-something inch waist (literally 3+ full sizes down from me) is wearing my size, or occasionally a size larger than I'd normally pick. This is the rule, not the exception. It's baffling. I'm basically a Medium across the board, but somehow every single SSENSE model is an XXS based on body measurements and yet they're always photographed wearing L/XL and it rarely looks big or even particularly oversized. It drives me up the wall.

The pair of jeans I received yesterday were said to be 18.25 inches across the waist in my size (whereas I measured them myself and I have to stretch them to hit 17.5 inches), and they were styled in size 48 (i.e. ~32 inches) on a model with a 27 inch waist. :confused2: I ignored all of that and bought my normal size, and luckily it worked out.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gordon Gekko was/is a style icon, in my opinion.

not saying that's a bad style, just too RL, not very BB, if RL were to take over BB I would imagine he would want to at least retain some of what BB is known for

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
probably, I was too young in the 90s... if going back to old time but stay casual ish (so more relevant today) how is BB different than say JPress?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads