• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
point being your so called decent middle income class is not feeling that secure about future, they're just not buying fashion (and they use to buy a lot fast fashion), that's the big drop in fast fashion, they're not shifting to buying luxury, they're just not buying period.

The not as bad luxury number is from the even higher income bracket is my point not, and NOT from decent middle income shifting from fast fashion to luxury item

or rather that's my hypothesis

I mean without data it could be

1. Decent middle income shifting from buying fast fashion to buy mid to luxury fashion (so big drop in fast fashion but less drop in mid to luxury items)

OR

2. Decent middle income stop buying fashion all together (fast/mid/luxury) and the mid to luxury is not as bad because the higher income bracket support it to some degree

and DWW is in the first camp and I'm in the second camp...

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's because pricing for "nice" womens clothing is so out of control I don't think even women making 150k can really regularly buy it unless they are enthusiasts and will skimp on dining/drinking to add to the clothing budget. My wife has a lot of coworkers in the 140k to 200k salary range and most of them will spend 6k on a chanel bag before even considering buying mid tier brands like club monaco at full retail.

yea if you think men "luxury" brand is insane, should take a look at women luxury brand..., in clothing especially, at least bag is kind more "aspirational and don't need a ton of it, there is more bucket list to bags"

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't know what's being discussed at this point.

Emptym posted a story about how Anna Wintour hinted that this could be the end of disposable fashion, as consumers will come out this more "enlightened."

Others noted that, as the recession hits, people will be less willing to spend money on clothes. I assume this meant that people will still buy fast fashion, regardless of their values, because they're cash-strapped. I've seen a lot of takes on this, where some predict the crisis will lead to a further bifurcation in the market. Everything will be uber high end or fast fashion.

I commented on how I think this will be more defined on the supply side of the market. Fast fashion retailers depend on foot traffic. They also operate on low margins and high volume. It's not clear to me what consumers will do, but I don't think fast fashion is necessarily a winner in this.

Clee then chimed in to say he disagrees. He says people making $70k - $150k will stop buying fast fashion. But ... this is the same prediction, just on the demand side?

Anyway, my point was that I think this is more defined on the supply side. The Covid crisis may lead to less in-store sales. Some companies may have a harder time transitioning to online sales.

I prob should have listened to Willy's advice and just stfu.

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yea if you think men "luxury" brand is insane, should take a look at women luxury brand..., in clothing especially, at least bag is kind more "aspirational and don't need a ton of it, there is more bucket list to bags"
What's the Allen Edmonds or Carmina of women's bags? I uhh might need to buy one

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's because pricing for "nice" womens clothing is so out of control I don't think even women making 150k can really regularly buy it unless they are enthusiasts and will skimp on dining/drinking to add to the clothing budget. My wife has a lot of coworkers in the 140k to 200k salary range and most of them will spend 6k on a chanel bag before even considering buying mid tier brands like club monaco at full retail.
What's the age range of these women and are they single with no kids? Asking for a friend.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
think we just talk pass each other at this point...

crazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the Allen Edmonds or Carmina of women's bags? I uhh might need to buy one
This is a question that cannot be answered accurately without fear of reprisal. I would hazard Michael Kors or Coach to fit that category of Allen Edmonds equivalent but... these brand positions change depending on income level and expectation... chanel is always safe... and definitely higher than carmina level. It’s depends also very much on the social competition. If the other female friends are into chanel... u must read the stars

I would suggest doing a Richard Gere and just put out your credit card...

Last edited:

crazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yupzzzzz...
looking at yoox now on the women’s side. A dress has a listed retail price before discount of 30k... most dresses are north of 2k... that’s just an item which most people use once and recycle it 10 years later perhaps

crazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was thinking Celine? Is there much of a market for a $2K women's bag? Haven't been impressed by the ~$1000 YSL or Gucci wallet/clutch stuff I've handled.
Celine is a classy alternative to chanel which for its exalted price tags is actually very common. But you might need help picking out the phoebe philo era designs since I’m not sure how much hedi Slimane has changed the accessories side since he got there. Those phoebe philo designs are the ones that propelled the brand into cult status.

But YSL or Gucci might be better if she is into flexing. The current fave is the bottega Veneta dumpling bag... which is a fairly expensive clutch that is less bling and far more subtle. I have heard of ridiculous competitions regarding bags where in some circles they all need a new bag every 6 months. It’s nuts...

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Celine is a classy alternative to chanel which for its exalted price tags is actually very common. But you might need help picking out the phoebe philo era designs since I’m not sure how much hedi Slimane has changed the accessories side since he got there. Those phoebe philo designs are the ones that propelled the brand into cult status.

But YSL or Gucci might be better if she is into flexing. The current fave is the bottega Veneta dumpling bag... which is a fairly expensive clutch that is less bling and far more subtle
Thanks that's really helpful. Hard to get ideas. I can flip through Harper's Bazaar but can't afford half the stuff on the ads.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads