• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

jah786

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Their product was the model. That was what was supposed to differentiate them. No one ever stopped to realize that the product was mediocre at best. This goes for basically that entire wave of brands. Creating a fake need, “solving” it with cheap, uninspired product and selling as many as they possible can at razor thin margins.

Everlane is definitely mediocre for men and it seems their merchandise offering for men has decreased over time. I think for women it's a totally different story. I've talked to women who say Everlane provides a certain type of minimalist clothing in more democratic sizes than other places that's super easy to order from. I don't want to generalize but I think the lens through which women purchase and just so different. Everlane ticks just enough boxes to make it feel like a better purchase than from GAP (or other corporate brands) with a more refined aesthetic.

as far as keystone, i agree, you can't run a business of any size on keystone, at any scale. too many costs and velocity of sales is not high enough. but there is no way they are making keystone, it has to be more. I don't see there's no real accountability to their "transparent pricing". for a made in LA tee, they put $1.22 on duties (it's made in LA!) . if the duties were on the fabric, which they cost at $1.79 per unit, then duties on fabric was 70%? that makes no sense. also $0.65 at the cost of hardware on a shirt with no tags, zippers, buttons, or other "hardware". for size/care/contents it has a heat stamp that costs pennies.

the transparency and honesty of the company when they first launched felt fresh and important but now they are what they as bad as what they were supposed to disrupt. The disrupter needs to be disrupted with brands that actually make honest goods!

penanceroyaltea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t find everlane women’s overpriced. It’s quite nice for the price

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Everlane men's isnt overpriced either. How many of you have handled their denim? Again, as nice as Geller stuff I own that cost 4x as much.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Throwing this out there in case someone finds it useful. SFMade, a San Francisco non-profit supporting local manufacturers, has a post about how to approach your landlord about rent relief. If you're a business who's concerned about making rent, maybe something here will be useful for you

Here is also a letter template you can consider

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Nobody said it was overpriced. The criticism is with their claim to transparency.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Surprised by how many retailers aren't able to ship orders right now. YOOX + The Real Real for example are both frozen it seems. Weird given how easy it is to relocate a pick & pack operation. Even at scale it's not *that* expensive.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Surprised by how many retailers aren't able to ship orders right now. YOOX + The Real Real for example are both frozen it seems. Weird given how easy it is to relocate a pick & pack operation. Even at scale it's not *that* expensive.

I think it's because large shipping operations require a lot of labor, which isn't safe right now.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's because large shipping operations require a lot of labor, which isn't safe right now.

Companies are still fulfilling by amortizing hours over more shifts + 7 day schedules and maintaining social distancing protocols that way. EasyPost, FDC and all the other big 3PLs are still up by doing that? Just seems weird that such huge ops don't have redundancy set up.

ixk

Reaction score
Companies are still fulfilling by amortizing hours over more shifts + 7 day schedules and maintaining social distancing protocols that way. EasyPost, FDC and all the other big 3PLs are still up by doing that? Just seems weird that such huge ops don't have redundancy set up.

Isn't Yoox based in Italy?

Maxwellll

Reaction score
Yoox is in Italy but they have more distribution hubs round the world.

Its the whole Yoox Net-a-Porter Group and they also run online sale and distribution for a bunch of other brands and retailers I am sure? So a company wide freeze at Yoox would affect more brands than just their own.

Im kind of stuck morally on whether people should keep buying right now. The smaller independent boutiques and brands could do with the help I am sure, but then guys like the postal workers are out on the street door to door potentially risking health for our own frivolous indulgences.

crazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yoox is in Italy but they have more distribution hubs round the world.

Its the whole Yoox Net-a-Porter Group and they also run online sale and distribution for a bunch of other brands and retailers I am sure? So a company wide freeze at Yoox would affect more brands than just their own.

Im kind of stuck morally on whether people should keep buying right now. The smaller independent boutiques and brands could do with the help I am sure, but then guys like the postal workers are out on the street door to door potentially risking health for our own frivolous indulgences.

i think every business in this situation wouldn't mind some spare liquidity. even the delivery workers.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would imagine USPS is load to max already, instacart just had a strike as well

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure you can be "morally" right either way, to be clear...
I'm buying to keep independent retailers in business. Some have become friends of mine. Hopefully we won't wake up with a world dominated just by corporations.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads