• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Reading "were not profitable" in a notes app font from a founder/ceo of a San Fran DTC apparel company who just got called out by a sitting senator running for the democratic nomination in the US for what looks like union busting at the time of a global pandemic was not on my bingo card. But there it is. Why are they not profitable at the scale they were at? Weak margins / unit economics? Friday's catered lunch? CAC?

It is impossible to scale a business with keystoned margins, no matter how much you sell of something.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keystone margins is doubling the price at every step. Say the cost to make a jacket is $100. Brand then sells that to retailers at $200. Retailer sells that to consumers at $400.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I closed my shop on march 13th and sent staff home. Business since the first of the year had been sluggish. When the broadway theatres closed and the TV/movie productions stopped i had no choice. I am now 2 hours away in upstate, NY.
.My cutter took home about 15 small orders. He lives a short drive from one of my sewers. Of course, i am not bringing in staff on public transportation to finish off the shirts.. i wanted to make some masks, i was jealous watching Justin, at Hertling still open. I just turned him on to some contacts for medical grade textiles.
The bailout is confusing. I told staff to file for unemployment. Now it seems like to qualify for certain loans, i had to keep staff on payroll.
I would run out of money before i would see part of the stimulus. NYC has grants. Hopefully they will come through.
I know business will return, just need my landlord to be patient.

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Keystone margins is doubling the price at every step. Say the cost to make a jacket is $100. Brand then sells that to retailers at $200. Retailer sells that to consumers at $400.
Kind of, but in the case of many “disruptor” brands, like everlane, they don’t wholesale, so their retail is double their first cost.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reading "were not profitable" in a notes app font from a founder/ceo of a San Fran DTC apparel company who just got called out by a sitting senator running for the democratic nomination in the US for what looks like union busting at the time of a global pandemic was not on my bingo card. But there it is. Why are they not profitable at the scale they were at? Weak margins / unit economics? Friday's catered lunch? CAC?

Regardless of their margin structure, how much of what they made was unique and distinctive at their prices and to their customer demographic? They were just another contemporary casual brand IMO. Companies succeed by doing what no one else is doing in an otherwise crowded field. You need to find a niche. My mentor used to say two things that made all the difference in the success of my business: "Find a niche where you can be the market leader" and then "Differentiate, differentiate, differentiate". Everlane was just another apparel line.

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Regardless of their margin structure, how much of what they made was unique and distinctive at their prices and to their customer demographic? They were just another contemporary casual brand IMO. Companies succeed by doing what no one else is doing in an otherwise crowded field. You need to find a niche. My mentor used to say two things that made all the difference in the success of my business: "Find a niche where you can be the market leader" and then "Differentiate, differentiate, differentiate". Everlane was just another apparel line.

Their product was the model. That was what was supposed to differentiate them. No one ever stopped to realize that the product was mediocre at best. This goes for basically that entire wave of brands. Creating a fake need, “solving” it with cheap, uninspired product and selling as many as they possible can at razor thin margins.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Their product was the model. That was what was supposed to differentiate them. No one ever stopped to realize that the product was mediocre at best. This goes for basically that entire wave of brands. Creating a fake need, “solving” it with cheap, uninspired product and selling as many as they possible can at razor thin margins.
Damn bro, tell us how you really feel.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I agree with that assessment of Everlane, though. I was initially pretty enthusiastic about the DTC model and their story, and even went out of my way to stop by their original office and say hello. I stopped buying after my first few items, though, because the quality was meh and the designs were utilitarian at best.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cycled through DC today. Tidal Basin was closed but a week after peak Cherry Blossom bloom so the crowded CV incubator already happened. Many of the bridges closed to cyclists and pedestrians to keep folks off the Mall. Did the menswear tour.

Loro Piana concerned about smash and grabs I think. (they have three more windows boarded up to the right of the door as well).
4680B8A3-C5DE-42A5-97AF-21959C1FFE98.jpeg

Paul Stuart, Canali, and Cuccinelli still looked nice.
5F08FA2E-89C7-45E8-9134-8D58B7C58D1F.jpeg
15E3F9BE-3781-41D5-AB1F-AFB3B32B85C9.jpeg
30058AAE-DAE5-4014-B108-9F8399285DD7.jpeg

Sid Mashburn seemed a little post-apocalyptic.
55D6D4F2-0838-4B01-9E81-DA4EE697EBF9.jpeg

My tailor is open for appointments!
E9839619-21C3-4AF2-A429-875FB049045F.jpeg

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me, it will be interesting to see where we are in 12-18 months with the few remaining luxury department stores and all of the directly competing international fashion brands with their own competing storefronts. How long can Saks or Neiman Marcus continue selling Cucinelli, Canali, LV or Gucci and remain in business when those brands have shops right around the corner from them in every major city? The era when Saks or NM traveled around the world to seek out and have high quality, specialty goods made just for them is so long gone. When they went the route of just selling the same international fashion brands that everyone else was selling, they lost what made them special.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads