• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

Rosenrot

Reaction score
That's cool, but Pitti Uomo and other tradeshows don't really lend itself to the same format. Honestly, I really can't see Pitti Uomo (which is usually slated first) occurring in June. Italy is still under full lockdown, and I don't see that being lifted until May, optimistically.

Pitti Uomo happening in June seems to be like one of those dreams in which I wake up in a frenzy, and have only half an hour to get on the plane. If everthing goes exactly right, I can barely make it, and every minute, something goes just a little more wrong. Then I wake up and realize that IRL, if I only had half an hour to get onto a plane from deep sleep, that I'd just cancel the flight.

It was a combination of trade show and runway. Fashion labels upload their inventory online for the perusal of store buyers and industry insiders. I am highly doubting on the feasibility of stocking a shop this way because everyone needs to see and touch the clothing in person before purchasing, but they are trying something new.

Now that Paris mens and couture week are cancelled I doubt Pitti will go on, especially considering the entry restrictions imposed by European governments.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
RE: everlane.

Expect more of this with dtc apparel & other verticals too.

Funding has dried up significantly as VCs have realized DTC is not SaaS. Meaning the shoot 100 times at the air and hope you kill a a big ass bird approach doesn't work.

...and customer acquisition costs have ballooned. Right as DTC was heating up you could acquire customers at scale for $7 to $12 easily. Now it's more like $20 to $30 to acquire a customer that will spend $60 to $80 a cart. The math gets worse as you scale too.
I assume customer acquisition costs will come way down now. Do any of these businesses make sense at much lower levels?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I assume customer acquisition costs will come way down now. Do any of these businesses make sense at much lower levels?
That's not a great assumption. In a recessionary economy, customer acquisition costs will often go up. Advertising costs on a lot of channels may decrease per impression, but you are going to have to do more to acquire a customer, especially for companies looking to sell larger baskets, and the baskets sold and the life time value of a customer may drop, depending on how adept you are at using various channels and tactics to re-engage and retain customers.

The businesses generally make sense as sustainable businesses with linear growth and usually with a pretty hard ceiling, not as VC backed ventures.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It depends on the vertical. I have an arts and crafts (lol) company that is crushing it right now and my apparel co has been bouncing all over the place.

These companies can scale to be very large like allbirds and Warby Parker but you need a truly differentiated product - not a bunch of bullshit like Everlane - and omnichannel.

crazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That sounds doable. I wonder about tradeshows though. They don't really lend themselves to that format. Will they simply disappear? Will it just be showrooms from now on?
fashion shows are fine or less problematic with virtual shows as they present completed goods. might need extra detail shots especially for fine or small details.
tradeshows where people showcase new fabrics or leather or materials are difficult. unless you expect to be delivered swatches globally just for perusal. even then a small square is difficult for visualization and appreciation of the completed product

Zamb

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
All I can say is that we are entering a world that 5 or 6 moths ago no one envisioned, and as we enter it we have no idea what it will be like. all this just show the paradox of the fragility and durability of our existence...…...….but also how the things we take for granted can be upended by unexpected occurrences

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All I can say is that we are entering a world that 5 or 6 moths ago no one envisioned, and as we enter it we have no idea what it will be like. all this just show the paradox of the fragility and durability of our existence...…...….but also how the things we take for granted can be upended by unexpected occurrences

Actually, I spoke about the fragility of our globalized miracle world, and mentioned this pandemic specifically, in a conversation we had here in early February. A lot of people - me, basically every virologist in the world, any number of computer scientists. anyone who works with the world's many integrated systems, have been warning of impending global crises for as long as I can remember...

I honestly had zero idea that this one would get so bad - dumb me - but this is not the big one, not by a longshot. Nothing comes without a price, there is no utopian world for us. We just made a deal wit the devil, and sometimes, the devil comes to collect. This is nothing though. This is just an interest payment

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Everlane's response to Bernie:

EUPxxMnXkAEm4BZ.jpg

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reading "were not profitable" in a notes app font from a founder/ceo of a San Fran DTC apparel company who just got called out by a sitting senator running for the democratic nomination in the US for what looks like union busting at the time of a global pandemic was not on my bingo card. But there it is. Why are they not profitable at the scale they were at? Weak margins / unit economics? Friday's catered lunch? CAC?

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reading "were not profitable" in a notes app font from a founder/ceo of a San Fran DTC apparel company who just got called out by a sitting senator running for the democratic nomination in the US for what looks like union busting at the time of a global pandemic was not on my bingo card. But there it is. Why are they not profitable at the scale they were at? Weak margins / unit economics? Friday's catered lunch? CAC?
Being profitable is not the game here. The point is to fund growth at a loss until your extremely unprofitable company can IPO/get acquired at a fairy tale valuation and cash out.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Being profitable is not the game here. The point is to fund growth at a loss until your extremely unprofitable company can IPO/get acquired at a fairy tale valuation and cash out.

this is my plan with die workwear. losses are mostly in me buying clothes for myself, but i hope to one day sell the site to hearst publications

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads