• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard this morning from Michele Rota (Our trousers makers near Parma). Their workshop has been closed for weeks now but they are reopening next week solely to produce masks to donate to hospitals and doctors. They’ve been working with health officials to set specs

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a crazy amount of initiates going on to produce masks and other soft goods at home if you search twitter and face book. I think it's positive emotion of people looking to do the right thing. I know Canadian and US governments are looking to sort out who's got domestic capacity and what supplies are on hand.

I think thee needs to be some acceptance that for volume production there are obvious solutions in Asia. Domestic solutions are preferable but a clear eyed view I think will show limitations in that approach.

I'd like to see other large brands use their logistics & relationship in the short term and a reinvestment in the long term in local diversified production.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I thought this was cool. Keeps some production going to keep factory workers employed and also benefits ERKN as a small business.
In case the link to IG doesn’t work:
801DF7CE-50AD-426D-A8D6-0B34C04AC8B4.png

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is there any face mask factory in the US?

Per this article China make a **** ton (200 million a day), but very few are N95 due to shortage of material rather than production capacity

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m sure there are factories somewhere in the US that make masks. 3M, proctor gamble, Johnson and Johnson and people like that. I’m just guessing though.
A lot of designers have turned to making masks right now though.
HickeyFreeman are sewing masks and sending patterns to anybody with sewing equipment and skills to produce them (I don’t know why this hasn’t been advertised here).
And even Christian Siriano is doing it.

All of this makes Zams bullshit even more upsetting.

Todd Shelton

Reaction score
HickeyFreeman are sewing masks and sending patterns to anybody with sewing equipment and skills to produce them (I don’t know why this hasn’t been advertised here)
Thanks for posting about Hickey Freeman. That was news to me. I searched and found articles about what they're doing. I reached out requesting information.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
HickeyFreeman are sewing masks and sending patterns to anybody with sewing equipment and skills to produce them (I don’t know why this hasn’t been advertised here).

This is the project JefferyD is working on. I believe the HF factory is closed, however, so they're doing this through a home network of sewers. @Bromley posted about this earlier

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m sure there are factories somewhere in the US that make masks. 3M, proctor gamble, Johnson and Johnson and people like that. I’m just guessing though.
A lot of designers have turned to making masks right now though.
And even Christian Siriano is doing it.

All of this makes Zams bullshit even more upsetting.

such a low margin business in the US though? Isn’t like 60% mask made in China

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cool cool cool, yeah i don't know much about Hickey Freeman other than the fact it's kind of local to me, but that stuff isn't really in my wheel house. i only knew about it from some of the discord guys @troika and @Teger
So thanks for adding those links.
Whatever people can do to help is worth the effort.
I'm going to pull out my sewing machine to play around with and see if i can get my skills up enough to hopefully help out.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the project JefferyD is working on. I believe the HF factory is closed, however, so they're doing this through a home network of sewers. @Bromley posted about this earlier

If you or @jefferyd can write this up and then ping me, we can put this put on the frontpage and the notice. As a policy for site hygiene, we don't do outbound links from either of those places, so you can post anywhere on the forum (probably CM makes the most sense).

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just shared with two retired Army friends who live and work in Rochester. Thanks for posting!!!!
They said the request was carried on local news and had a great local response!

Todd Shelton

Reaction score
2020_0321_sf2.jpg

One of my seamstresses made this for me Wednesday before we shut down. I didn't ask her to, she was trying to do something nice. It's dress shirt fabric. This mask would do nothing other than (maybe) make someone feel more protected if they had nothing else. But if local health workers need help till bigger help comes, I can look into how I could make this better.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hope we’re not as desperate as to use shirting fabric as alternative for medical worker... though I suppose that is better than nothing...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads