• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"The agreement also requires Prada to appoint a diversity and inclusion officer within the next 120 days, at director level, with candidates approved by the commission."

That's crazy to me.
What could possibly go wrong?

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What could possibly go wrong?

Never surprised at this point. All part of the Circus.

If you want to be horrified take a look at the University of California hiring system now. The courts have ruled it illegal to use racial quotas, so now they are just instituting doctrinal purity tests for "commitment to diversity inclusion" or such.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never surprised at this point. All part of the Circus.

If you want to be horrified take a look at the University of California hiring system now. The courts have ruled it illegal to use racial quotas, so now they are just instituting doctrinal purity tests for "commitment to diversity inclusion" or such.
I have friends on that system, so yeah, I know. And it's not just the the UC system either.

Zamb

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I liked fashion when it wasn't so politically correct and there were not people seeking to be victims.
the Late Great Patrick Kelly's icon was blackface!

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I liked fashion when it wasn't so politically correct and there were not people seeking to be victims.
the Late Great Patrick Kelly's icon was blackface!
Ridiculous

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That Vidalia denim thing—he’s like “our supply chain is 100 ft” but he’s not talking about where the cotton is grown.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took a tour through N and S China last October to various denim factories and mills that my company produces and sources with.

The actual yarn spinning is pretty much the least labor intensive and environmentally impactful part of a pair of jeans.

The idea that we someone want to bring denim dying back to the US I find dubious. Denim is dirty. Even new technologies like heat transfer and laser whiskering etc are a long way from being viable. They just don't look as good as the dirty procedures yet.

Phrost

Reaction score
I read this article about Saitex doing eco friendly denim. Pretty interesting stuff. No idea if it’s impactful or just a PR piece though.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting all sorts of email's about supply chains getting impacted by Coronavirus in the industry news the last 2 weeks.

It's really bad. Especially combined with CNY.

Its common for some of the factories we work with to lose 30-75% of their non-local workforce over CNY. Why is complex - major factor being ever increasing wages in China means a lot of factory workers job shop while on long vacation.

Combine this with corona and there is going to be a huge production issue probably visible sometime in Fall. Many people who understand supply side in China have landed goods through summer before February because factories become so unreliable during CNY.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Combo of normal operating around CNY and the long tail of supply chains is going to hide the full impact of this for a while. I fully expect to see late shipments and extreme discounting to move products late this year. There's likely some cashflow sensitive (like... everyone who isn't) businesses that are going to be hurting deeply without inventory once the shelves thin out.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Combo of normal operating around CNY and the long tail of supply chains is going to hide the full impact of this for a while. I fully expect to see late shipments and extreme discounting to move products late this year. There's likely some cashflow sensitive (like... everyone who isn't) businesses that are going to be hurting deeply without inventory once the shelves thin out.
I wonder about second and third SS2020 shipments that should be shipping out around now.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure but if SS shipments aren't packed and ready to go before CNY I think late would be likely if not outright dropping production. With late production and transportation slowed down- I'd think more airfreight at higher cost is going to be in the cards for MIC goods. Lower margins in that case.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya most of SS we had in house before February. Meaning the slower ships left around new years or earlier.

Air freight is likely to be in the cards. What's interesting is that a lot of the goods that get air freighted in between the states and China actually comes in the bellies of passenger planes. As flights have been reduced to/from China, demand for limited cargo space might affect prices to a point where they are even worse than they already are.

For companies like mine - making mass-market low margin fast fashion - this is not really feasible.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That Vidalia denim thing—he’s like “our supply chain is 100 ft” but he’s not talking about where the cotton is grown.
I believe the cotton is grown in that region. Still a lot of cotton grown throughout the Southeastern US.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads