• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Article on DTC with a bit more of a bite than the NYT piece...
https://thebaffler.com/latest/barons-of-crap-kaiser-schatzlein
Many of these companies do not offer anything new. Their real "innovation" is at their core in decreasing labor costs, often coded directly in the language used, and in many cases, doing so in a way that makes the retail experience more convenient, but less complete. A proper optical, for example, stocking frames in store,. and which can be supported by pretty much any small town, can offer sizing advice, adjustments, etc...

The industrialists of the 20th century at least brought us faster, and eventually, more affordable transportation, safe food, refrigeration, etc... A lot of what is offered today is "the same, but cheaper",

Another thing differentiates many these companies from the great industrialists of the early-mid 20th century is that the dream is rather small, and at the same time, rather entitled - that you can get out of the game, and are guaranteed a seat at the next game. The end game for many of these companies is an acquisition, and then onto the next scheme. The only way that this can be done successfully is if you paint by numbers. So, less rock star, more... boy band.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's a particularly American mindset to want to make something that gets bought out in some exit strategy.

Many people would rather own a profitable, but not hugely wealthy, business or see and idea to fruition where it's not disrupting the market, or being sold for $x00,000,000 to some mega-corp. It seems start-up culture (in the States) has totally false in this dichotomy of either failing (by having a product and business that makes a modest profit) and succeeding through selling some bumpkin bullshit to a company that's happy to bleed money to carve back market share from an attractive marketing campaign and a corner cutting approach.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's a particularly American mindset to want to make something that gets bought out in some exit strategy.

Many people would rather own a profitable, but not hugely wealthy, business or see and idea to fruition where it's not disrupting the market, or being sold for $x00,000,000 to some mega-corp. It seems start-up culture (in the States) has totally false in this dichotomy of either failing (by having a product and business that makes a modest profit) and succeeding through selling some bumpkin bullshit to a company that's happy to bleed money to carve back market share from an attractive marketing campaign and a corner cutting approach.
It's prevalent in the US because of the amount of VC money being thrown around, but it's also in London, and I am aure other places as well - I am just most familiar with the US and the UK.

I know of a fair number of startup companies that failed because they were bound to fail - not because they couldn't build a nice business doing what they were doing, but because no matter how much money they were spending, the think that they wanted to make into the next unicorn was just a regular old draft horse, and no amount of wizardry was going to change that. That said, the founders are sometimes as trapped as everyone else. They can't go to a VC and pitch a nice, reasonably profitable niche business that will grow to become good medium sized company.

Incidentally, this type of institutional quicksand is not limited to tech startups. It's not like an academic can say "Well, I won't be able to publish papers for at leats 3 years, and then we'll have some preiminary results. Or maybe it just won't work."

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure but I think the difference between those is that a business does not necessarily require an institutional apparatus in the way academic publishing does.

One can start a small business with no intention of being funded by VC and bought by FAANG.

One can't really publish without institutional backing/support/resources and is, therefore, much more susceptible to the trends and pace pushed by those places. Not an enviable situation.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
right but this article is about mba chicken soup after all, if you were not aiming big might as well go to Wall Street...

Exit problem is true in a lot place too, and a lot business is hard to be small in the “disrupting crowd” as you either go big or sink, can’t really just “be there”

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Surely then the model is inherently flawed?

Todd Shelton

Reaction score
Which menswear brands under 20 years old (those that launched during the e-commerce era) have established a healthy, financially-sustainable business?

Edit: Which menswear brands under 20 years old (those that launched during the e-commerce era) do you think - as an outsider looking in - have established a healthy, financially-sustainable business?

Last edited:

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Which menswear brands under 20 years old (those that launched during the e-commerce era) have established a healthy, financially-sustainable business?
Kith jumps to mind.

How would any of us know if they are financially stable businesses when most of these companies are private and do not make their financials publicly available?

Edit: are you asking only about “menswear” (ie, CM brands) or SW&D brands also?

Edit 2: phrase your questions more carefully in the future.

Last edited:

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
More:
Engineered Garments
3sixteen

I am sure a number of SF affiliates would argue they are financially stable (at least insofar as they are still paying their affiliate fees).

I am sure there are many more, but financially stable is murky term and a brand’s outlook can change very quickly.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two that come to mind, with wild speculation about their business, are John Elliot and Outlier.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Edit: Which menswear brands under 20 years old (those that launched during the e-commerce era) do you think - as an outsider looking in - have established a healthy, financially-sustainable business?

I'd say Engineered Garments. Launched in 2002. Interest in the brand is still very strong.

hammerhead_corvette

Reaction score
Taylor Stitch and Gustin come to mind

Todd Shelton

Reaction score
I'd say Engineered Garments. Launched in 2002. Interest in the brand is still very strong.
Neither Engineered Garments or Common Projects (which seems strong to me) have their own e-commerce sites - I don't think. Running an e-comm brand takes a lot of attention and resources. I wonder if those brands not being distracted by e-comm, and focusing on brand and product - has helped them be above the fray.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Neither Engineered Garments or Common Projects (which seems strong to me) have their own e-commerce sites - I don't think. Running an e-comm brand takes a lot of attention and resources. I wonder if those brands not being distracted by e-comm, and focusing on brand and product - has helped them be above the fray.

Mister Freedom does e-comm and B&M retail, and they seem to be doing well. They started in 2006

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads