• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

Maxwellll

Reaction score
Opening Ceremony has been bought by New Guards Group in Italy (by Claudio Antonioli, who also own Off-White, Marcelo Burlon, Palm Angels etc and is linked with Farfetch in some way) and said they will be focusing on the in-house brand rather than the stores.

Ive heard a story of a new store not being able to stock Off-White (which is an easy seller...) unless they also stock a certain amount of Marcelo Burlon or their other brands.

They also bought that Alanui knitwear brand in the last couple of years, notice Alanui creeping onto places like Mr Porter, Farfetch, Matches recently? Wouldnt be surprised to see the same with Opening Ceremony.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Surprised oc didn't close sooner.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Financial Times piece on the "LVMH of China" Shandong Ruyi running out of cash for basic expenses after an acquisition spree that included Bally and Gieves & Hawkes:

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Those who have posted with me over the last (cough, sigh) fifteen years know that I respect and appreciate Jean-Paul Gaultier. News just came out that he's officially retiring. I feel it's the end of an era.

In the hyped-up world of fashion in the 2010's, which largely I didn't understand, I have no doubt that younger fashion fans don't know much about Gaultier. But, I encourage a great deal of googling to see the amazing work he did over the last FORTY years. He was a true craftsman, who also had a great deal of fun. He played up his gimmicks, which got him attention, but at his core he was a real Couturier. Even his goofy clothes were strangely well constructed.

Here is a link to one story about his retirement:
Gaultier's Last Couture Show

I won't do a "TL;DR" of all his neat stuff here; I've done that before. We can start a discussion and build on it as it goes on. But, without Gaultier, you have no Hedi, you have no "androgyny" in menswear with couture details. You'd have your streetwear and your suits, and Bob Dylan wearing women's clothes on stage. But not a lot else.

He's still relatively young (67) and makes plenty from his license on the perfumes. I wish him the best and hope he enjoys every day.

PS I started a separate thread if anybody would like to contribute:
Gaultier Threak

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Financial Times piece on the "LVMH of China" Shandong Ruyi running out of cash for basic expenses after an acquisition spree that included Bally and Gieves & Hawkes:

Oy. That is either great audacity and genius or great stupidity.

Zamb

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Those who have posted with me over the last (cough, sigh) fifteen years know that I respect and appreciate Jean-Paul Gaultier. News just came out that he's officially retiring. I feel it's the end of an era.

In the hyped-up world of fashion in the 2010's, which largely I didn't understand, I have no doubt that younger fashion fans don't know much about Gaultier. But, I encourage a great deal of googling to see the amazing work he did over the last FORTY years. He was a true craftsman, who also had a great deal of fun. He played up his gimmicks, which got him attention, but at his core he was a real Couturier. Even his goofy clothes were strangely well constructed.

I won't do a "TL;DR" of all his neat stuff here; I've done that before. We can start a discussion and build on it as it goes on. But, without Gaultier, you have no Hedi, you have no "androgyny" in menswear with couture details. You'd have your streetwear and your suits, and Bob Dylan wearing women's clothes on stage. But not a lot else.

He's still relatively young (67) and makes plenty from his license on the perfumes. I wish him the best and hope he enjoys every day.

Gaultier Threak
J,
good to see you man.
JPG is one of the best to ever do it.
I still have that white wallet I bought from you over 13 years ago , beaten, mangled, lost and found about 3 to 4 times, but yea, JPG forevah!

crazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gaultier Threak
His time at Hermes was glorious.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It always strikes me that there's a few tiers to second hand apparel, deadstock, and overstock. The good stuff will always find a home, the middle of the pack might just need the right person to discover them, and the bottom of the pile is stuff that no-one ever really wanted. Some stuff never finds a home for a reason.

Nyarlathotep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thatboyo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With all these store closings, it’s nice to see a retailer open a new spot, more convenient for me too vs the Tribeca spot

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With all these store closings, it’s nice to see a retailer open a new spot, more convenient for me too vs the Tribeca spot

I’m curious about the “big” part. Household items?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads