1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Mar 30, 2017.

1. happyriverz

happyriverz Senior Member

I don't think anyone denies that interesting clothes have intellectual components -- that's in part what makes clothes interesting, but I didn't think it was controversial to say that to most people, there is a difference between "getting" something like (1) a flannel shirt made with interesting details and (2) "weird" clothes that don't immediately fit into an easy-to-understand paradigm (again, to most people, not to people on clothing forums). This is not a claim about the objective merit/superiority of (1) or (2) -- just a personal observation.

2. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

I don't think that people don't "get" those clothes of supposedly more obscure references - I think the average person on the street probably naturally understands quite a bit of it, more than we really give them credit for. They often just don't like it. I honestly don't think there are many if any fashion brands that are so intellectual that people don't understand them with a surface look.

Also I don't think that's all there is to the clothes at NMWA et al. It's not just interesting details, it's the same type of oblique references that happen in those clothes.

3. clee1982

clee1982 Stylish Dinosaur

Side note on NMWA, NMWA definitely picks up lots of interesting stuff, but to me that has been on the non CM side despite being a CM guy, the stuff I bought from NMWA are always non CM except maybe Rota once a while?

4. Gus

Gus Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

I love this quote. You are quite the word-smith @hendrix

5. happyriverz

happyriverz Senior Member

Fair enough on the first point. On the second point, I never said that that's the only reason why NMWA is good. If anything, I think we are in agreement: NMWA just sells interesting clothes that look good, but not so obtuse that it turns off the average consumer. The oblique references are there for the enthusiasts.

6. smittycl

smittycl Distinguished Member

I’m the exact opposite. Almost everything I’ve grabbed at NMWA was CM.

7. clee1982

clee1982 Stylish Dinosaur

Well IG shirt is too long, Formosa is too long so is Eidos, I guess that rules me out for most of the tailoring stuff

8. smittycl

I’m a long so it definitely works for me. Awesome casual stuff, though. Am slowly expanding my Japanese indigo shirt collection.

9. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Right, to be clear I'm not really attacking your viewpoint or anything, I just get a little triggered by any vague notion of fashion elitism from nominally "avant-garde" brands, therefore I felt like digging a little bit into your post, if you take my meaning.

10. Gus

You can order custom Inglese shirts with your measurements for a nominal charge. The last batch I ordered went in early November and I received them mid Dec. Excellent turn-around time coming from Italy and for being custom.

11. smittycl

IMG_7279.jpg IMG_7280.jpg IMG_7281.jpg

Picked up a really cool cashmere scarf from Drake's at Barneys post-Christmas sale. Anyone have a clue as to the initials or the "T"? Never seen a Drake's product marked that way. Seems a bit disingenuous to say it's from Kashmir as well. Disputed territory but is that just a dodge to avoid saying Made in India or Pakistan?

The Drake's website lists scarves apparently from the same manufacturer as some Made in India and some Made in Kashmir.

Maybe I should put this in the Drake's thread? Oops...I always forget this is SW&D. Still, kind of a cool scarf, goes with jeans I think... :D

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019

12. Gus

13. once a day

once a day Active Member Affiliate Vendor

Just out of curiousity - how much did you pay for the scarf on sale? We're planning our AW19 and deciding between production in Italy or in Asia. We did a small test collection this year in Italy and where very happy with the quality, yet not sure what folks are willing to pay for quality cashmere these days.

14. smittycl

Original price was $476 which is more than I would pay for an accessory. Got it half off.